Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > FL2 Reflections 8 months later
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Badger51

Australia 

“ B pillar. Pull off the lower B trim panel. Stick a knife under the airbag logo to pull it off, then unscrew the star screw, pull off the upper B panel. Short sharp quick firm tug on trim pananls to get them off.

Have a look behind panel to see what's rattling. There is not a lot in there.“

If only it were that simple, I believe it involves re welding of the flange joint! (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #395452 13th Aug 2020 9:21 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Here's the problem, you and I are typical LR owners of the past, something is not quite right, get the tools out and investigate. I don't have the tools in my hands most days, so it's an interesting challenge with a sense of satisfaction when it's done.

An awful lot of DS (cars in general) are bought on lease, it's a consumable, a darned expensive consumable that you were sold as a premium product. The owners think of them as an expensive white goods, they accept that it needs fuel and some of the more clued up might believe that it requires screen wash, apart from that there is the service every two years, but as they are only keeping it for four years, that means one service in it's lifetime.

It really comes as a shock that this very complicated machine has parts that don't quite work as described - nobody says anything about lifting the bonnet Shocked Shocked to top up the adblue tank with 5 litres of what looks like water every 5,000 miles. Add to this dealers who then require you to wait months to have these often trivial (to them) things fixed, and you have a recipe for a poor reliability. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #395453 13th Aug 2020 9:29 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

You need to take off A, B, C & D panels to get the ceiling down, but to get C & D off you need to take the boot sill trim & the side panels off. Done it about 3 times now & can almost do it blindfolded. Star key for screws behind airbag logos, 10mm spanner for the 4 tie down points in the boot, & a blunt knife is all you need to get under some panels.

Click image to enlarge

Once you pull the car apart you will be surprised just how simply they are put together. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #395455 13th Aug 2020 10:37 am
mrsimon4x4

I had the Evoque on a lease plan, and the Adblue was easy, as there was a filler under the bonnet.

I buy a car to drive it, not to fix it. DIY is not my hobby, and I'm not a mechanic. I have a guitar and I can't fix it if something goes wrong with it.

Just because you have a washing machine, a food processor or a fridge or ... another white good such as a car, it doesn't mean you have to repair it. Mechanics are experts at what they do, and I'm an expert at what I do, and I don't expect a mechanic to be able to do what I can do.

If buying a LR, RR or Jaguar means having to fix serious faults and take it apart myself, then these makes are not for me.

Last edited by mrsimon4x4 on 13th Aug 2020 4:17 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #395466 13th Aug 2020 4:12 pm
mrsimon4x4

Lightwater wrote:
You need to take off A, B, C & D panels to get the ceiling down, but to get C & D off you need to take the boot sill trim & the side panels off. Done it about 3 times now & can almost do it blindfolded. Star key for screws behind airbag logos, 10mm spanner for the 4 tie down points in the boot, & a blunt knife is all you need to get under some panels.
Click image to enlarge

Once you pull the car apart you will be surprised just how simply they are put together.

why should anyone have to go to all that palaver?

Post #395467 13th Aug 2020 4:15 pm
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

mrsimon4x4 wrote:
I had the Evoque on a lease plan, and the Adblue was easy, as there was a filler under the bonnet.

I buy a car to drive it, not to fix it. DIY is not my hobby, and I'm not a mechanic. I have a guitar and I can't fix it if something goes wrong with it.

Just because you have a washing machine, a food processor or a fridge or ... another white good such as a car, it doesn't mean you have to repair it. Mechanics are experts at what they do, and I'm an expert at what I do, and I don't expect a mechanic to be able to do what I can do.

If buying a LR, RR or Jaguar means having to fix serious faults and take it apart myself, then these makes are not for me.

Simon,

Lets start simple.......I really enjoyed Barcelona, its a wonderful place

Now to the complicated part

Washing machine breaks.....I fix it

Dishwasher breaks.......I fix it

Oven breaks ........I fix it

Engine oil needs changing .....I change it

Brakes need to be replaced......I replace them

In 12 years of use for my LR2 the only thing that a mechanic repaired/replaced is Tires

Hopefully you are sitting down.......I am about average on this message board

Here is my recommendation

- Post you questions here on Freel2

- Learn enough about the repairs that you could do the work if you had the time

- Share what you've learned with your mechanic

- Post here that you are going to have the mechanic do the work but you want to know what's involved

Good luck

Paul

Post #395475 13th Aug 2020 5:52 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

mrsimon4x4 wrote:
Lightwater wrote:
Click image to enlarge

Once you pull the car apart you will be surprised just how simply they are put together.

why should anyone have to go to all that palaver?

That was the easy bit, for 'Cones of Silence'
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33026.html Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #395485 13th Aug 2020 9:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12