Home > In Car Electronics > CTEK comfort charger
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
O-B-Wan003

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
CTEK comfort charger

Hi guys hope everyone is well.
I’ve been charging my Freelander via the engine bay when required but came across a CTEK comfort charger (hopefully photo attached) with a socket but was curious if anyone else had installed this and where. Had also thought about putting together a 13 pin towing socket and CTEK lead for easy access but thought this would be a little more challenging Very Happy. Have tried charging via the 12v socket but once the car is locked all power is lost which is odd. Is this always the case? Haven’t tested the towing socket for power yet when the car is locked.

Post #393107 25th Jun 2020 9:34 am
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

Yes I have been using that lead for years, but the one I have is shorter just connect it to the battery terminals & feed the lead to the bottom of the battery cover job done.

Last edited by Jack frost on 25th Jun 2020 10:33 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #393110 25th Jun 2020 10:31 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

The comfort leads fit directly to the battery. You can then leave the plug somewhere easily accessible without having to lift the bonnet. Behind the front grill maybe? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #393111 25th Jun 2020 10:32 am
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

Your car should have the newer style 13pin socket which you can charge from. If it for some reason has the earlier 2 plug set up then you can charge it from the auxilary socket (the one with the grey cap). You can buy a suitable lead to enable you to do this from the forum shop. See the headline banner at the top of the page. Good luck! Thumbs Up

Post #393112 25th Jun 2020 10:35 am
O-B-Wan003

Your car should have the newer style 13pin socket which you can charge from. If it for some reason has the earlier 2 plug set up then you can charge it from the auxilary socket (the one with the grey cap). You can buy a suitable lead to enable you to do this from the forum shop. See the headline banner at the top of the page. Good luck! Thumbs Up

Thanks Dondiddy.
Haven’t grasped this editing and quoting thingy yet Big Cry

That probably suits me better actually. Can reverse up to the garage door and plug it in. Saves all the faffing about with routing cables through the bulk head. Had seen someone attach the female socket to the left hand air vent which was probably handy but not very aesthetically pleasing. As long as I remember to unplug... Shocked

Post #393118 25th Jun 2020 11:06 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I also have a Victron plug so I can plug the charger in. Haven't got around to it but want to run it to the back of the bonnet.

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #393123 25th Jun 2020 12:08 pm
iansoady

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Baltic Blue

I've been using the 13 pin socket with a CTEK XS5.0 very successfully. Ian.
2013 LR2 SD4 XS
1982 Moto Guzzi V50
1952 Norton ES2

Post #393127 25th Jun 2020 12:30 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

O-B-Wan003 wrote:
......... As long as I remember to unplug... Shocked

Sounds silly but, a piece of card in front of the speedo with the words "Disconnect Charger" - simple cheap and saves embarrassment. Stick it in the drivers door pocket AFTER you have disconnected. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #393128 25th Jun 2020 12:31 pm
Lightwater

Put the plug through the grill if you're worried about a senior moment! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #393137 25th Jun 2020 2:14 pm
3landertwo

I read the PistonHead forums also.

You may, or may NOT be interested in this......

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic....;t=1660338

I know many people will say they are OK And I dont know of the circumstance.
Just posting for your information.

I dont need replies to this post !!

Post #393138 25th Jun 2020 2:24 pm
O-B-Wan003

Lightwater wrote:
Put the plug through the grill if you're worried about a senior moment!

Laughing I’m going to go with the towing socket but make sure I’ve put a note on the dash or steering wheel. Getting to an age now where senior moments are more frequent than would care to mention Thumbs Up

The Australians seem to have a definitive handle on driving off road by the looks. Your posts are always an interesting read. It’s the carrying of two spares and an air compressor which shows you lengths you have to go to when 4x4 living.

Post #393153 25th Jun 2020 5:42 pm
3landertwo

"It’s the carrying of two spares and an air compressor ........"

Not needed for the SuperMarket run in the UK.
Whistle

How many owners/members on this site actually go off road, green laneing or dare i ask, on an expedition ? You don't see any FL2s 'tool-ed up' for that sore of thing in the uk.

Post #393157 25th Jun 2020 6:24 pm
Lightwater

A note on the dash or run the charger lead over the driver's side mirror to see the cable.

Enough people forget they have things on the roof, put a note with height inside the windscreen, or even forgot they are towing something. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #393178 25th Jun 2020 11:02 pm
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Of course, you could do it the VWAG way and use a MagCode connector on the CTEK. That way when you drive off the MagCode disconnects.

If you want to get really fancy, do what the ambulances do and get an auto-ejecting shoreline which ejects the cable when you turn the ignition on.

Post #393236 26th Jun 2020 8:45 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Quote:
..........How many owners/members on this site actually go off road, green laneing or dare I ask, on an expedition ? You don't see any FL2s 'tool-ed up' for that sore of thing in the uk.

Although you can dress up any Land Rover to make it more comfortable for long distance off-road travel you really don't need to.
We took our Freelander 1 on a jaunt through Morocco and several days in the Sahara, the only modifications visible from the outside were all-terrain tyres, reflective window film and a roof tent. The roof tent was taken off the week after we came back, so not one that would stand out from the crowd a week later.

On the inside we removed the rear seats - and fitted a cigarette lighter in the boot.

For off-roading on green lanes, fit decent tyres, and underbody protection. For off-road sites ---- depends, go on the easier routes and the FL2 will be fine, medium routes underbody protection would be a good investment, for black routes - the world is your oyster - high lift, mud tyres, roll cage, dice for the windscreen

The reason I suggest underbody protection for green laneing, is for the vast majority it will not be required, but for the very few it gives piece of mind - and saves the fuel tank getting a nudge, you won't puncture it, but the wife (or husband) will give you SERIOUS grief as you sledge across the obstruction. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #393272 27th Jun 2020 10:31 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>