Home > Technical > Hestating when accelerating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Richard Willetts

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
Hestating when accelerating

Hi Guys
Since the lockdown and not moving far in 7 weeks my Freelander gives a slight delay or hesitation normally in second gear when pulling away on low revs, it hesitates and misses one beat only,or delays, like an old petrol engine misses,

There are no other faults at all it just hesitates for less than a second then picks up as normal no faults.

Having had various diesels wondering if its pulling in air or water in the fuel filter.

Always use ESSO but not filled up since end of March but might treat it to some posh diesel maybe a diferent brand

Filter was changed last Aug with genuine LR filter fault started since lockdown

Apart from this hesitation for less than a second no loss of power,runs sweet at 70mph on motorway sweet as a nut at 70 and 40 mpg

In the past have been able to drain off water in the fuel filter

Just an irritating hesitation and think its down to lack of use car has only done 49k

HERE WE ARE 7TH JUNE HESITATION SEAMS TO HAVE CLEARED UP, THE WEATHER IS COOLER AND I HAVE DONE A FEW TRIPS OF 200 MILES I THINK THE DPF COULD HAVE BEEN CLOGGED UP OR IT MAY BE A SMALL SPLIT IN THE RUBBER TURBO PIPE UP THE MOTORWAY TOMORROW SO SEE WHAT HAPPENS THEN

Last edited by Richard Willetts on 7th Jun 2020 7:55 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #391448 21st May 2020 10:47 pm
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Well just to cover the simple things first.

Are you sure that the fuel filter was changed?? A few years ago I experienced identical symptoms to those you describe. Tried using different fuels, but in the end it was totally cured with a new fuel filter.

At that time my car was being serviced at a main dealer at the "special" Land rover rate and I did wonder whether they had ever actually changed the fuel filter

Steve

Post #391451 22nd May 2020 9:57 am
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

with mine it was a pin hole in the short turbo pipe to the throttle body.

Post #391470 22nd May 2020 6:44 pm
Paul4751

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

Welcome to the "hesitation" club.

Post #391476 22nd May 2020 9:23 pm
DGL

2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

This is very strange, I’m in exactly the same situation as the OP.

After weeks of not moving, our MY14 has stuttered/juddered/paused at just under 2k revs. It’s very very subtle and it’s only happened twice, ive literally just had a full service. It happened on the way there and back! But it was so subtle I didn’t think to mention it.

I’ve spent the day on this forum looking at the 22 page sticky, which as far as I can make out hasn’t got an absolute solution but it does rule out many things, the one that makes most sense it a faulty throttle pedal, as mine is a 14 plate, it could be a deterioration of the circuits.

Does anyone know if the latest Landrover throttle pedals will fit my model year car?

I also have the haldex service booked in for next month so that should rule out another possibility. MY2014 HSE Santorini Black

Post #393243 26th Jun 2020 11:35 pm
OLOSTEVE

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Firenze Red

jenks1950 wrote:
Well just to cover the simple things first.

Are you sure that the fuel filter was changed?? A few years ago I experienced identical symptoms to those you describe. Tried using different fuels, but in the end it was totally cured with a new fuel filter.

At that time my car was being serviced at a main dealer at the "special" Land rover rate and I did wonder whether they had ever actually changed the fuel filter

Steve

Also try Gearbox reset (Throttle)

Post #393245 27th Jun 2020 12:21 am
DGL

Wow, don’t know about this! Could you explain the process please? MY2014 HSE Santorini Black

Post #393275 27th Jun 2020 11:55 am
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Maybe he is referencing a throttle body reset. Can be done with a good scanner or SDD.

Post #393289 27th Jun 2020 2:34 pm
OLOSTEVE

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Firenze Red

DGL wrote:
Wow, don’t know about this! Could you explain the process please?

(1). Press Start Button, foot of Brake.
(2). Press Accelerator to the floor, count 20 seconds.
(3). Remove foot from Accelerator.
(4). Wait 2 minutes.
(5). Start engine and drive.
This is a cost free fix and may well sort your problem, good luck with it and let the site know if has helped.

Post #393293 27th Jun 2020 3:51 pm
DGL

Many thanks, ill give this a go, fingers crossed. MY2014 HSE Santorini Black

Post #393306 27th Jun 2020 7:17 pm
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

If the car has been standing for some time it could be the the linkage between the turbo and the electronic control unit sticking due to some slight corrosion. Happens on mine as I don't use the car a lot.
You'll need to get underneath the car and disconnect the linkage by removing the small C clip. Be very careful as the clip is easily lost. Lay an old dust sheet under the work area, this will stop the clip bouncing out of sight if you drop it.
With the linkage disconnected give it a good clean, check it has free movement and put it back together with a little copper grease on the pivots.

Hopefully this will cure your problem. Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #393600 2nd Jul 2020 7:12 pm
DGL

Bit of an update, I have followed the auto box reset instructions, I have also had the Haldex service.

The hesitation has thankfully not returned but annoyingly I can't tell you if it was the Gearbox reset or the Haldex service that fixed it.

If it does return ill let you know. MY2014 HSE Santorini Black

Post #393958 8th Jul 2020 2:48 pm
DGL

gasman wrote:
If the car has been standing for some time it could be the the linkage between the turbo and the electronic control unit sticking due to some slight corrosion. Happens on mine as I don't use the car a lot.
You'll need to get underneath the car and disconnect the linkage by removing the small C clip. Be very careful as the clip is easily lost. Lay an old dust sheet under the work area, this will stop the clip bouncing out of sight if you drop it.
With the linkage disconnected give it a good clean, check it has free movement and put it back together with a little copper grease on the pivots.

Hopefully this will cure your problem. Thumbs Up

Thanks for this, this is actually a really good and easy maintenance tip. Thumbs Up MY2014 HSE Santorini Black

Post #393959 8th Jul 2020 2:50 pm
DGL

After all my excitement it looks like the stutter is back, how disappointing. It is very mild but definitely there.

Looking through the many different posts on here, Id like to carry on the mission to sort this issue, its such a great car except for this annoying issue.

i think the next step for me would be the Transmission Software Update. Can anybody point me to a cost effective way to achieve this or is it back to the main dealer?

And for those who have had this done, did it work permanently, temporarily or not at all? MY2014 HSE Santorini Black

Post #394298 16th Jul 2020 9:35 am
CED

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Bali Blue

I still think it is fuel filter related . Never had a problem until the first major service when the fuel filter was changed , hesitating on the way home . Main dealer could never cure it . Had service at 45 thousand miles last year by independent local and filter fitted , problem is gone. One other thing to keep a check on is the air filter lid securing properly , I’ve had to put a strap around mine to hold it down as the fixings have given up .

Post #394300 16th Jul 2020 10:26 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>