Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

IanMetro wrote:
Do we know who makes this engine?

The I3 engine is a JLR design.

I guess like the similarities between the AJ20P and the EA888 Audi tfsi engines, the ancillaries (emisions control, forced induction etc) have to be similar to German engines to be competitive.

Post #390381 23rd Apr 2020 7:30 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Soooooo, what happens to all the defunct batteries from all these eco friendly vehicles?

( I am no tree hugging eco warrior but can see this head first spin into cars with more and more batteries as just another example of kicking the can filled with crap down the road for the next generation)

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #390383 23rd Apr 2020 8:13 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Dartman the one wrote:
I still think that the aswer to electric vehicles is a standard battery pack that can be removed and replaced with a charged pack, though it would need some form of lease contract or a cost higher than just a normal charge.

Tesla demonstrated this a few years ago, and had a speed test against filling up an ICE on the same stage, guess which won?

Elon wouldn’t have shown it otherwise Laughing

Far too many diverse battery installations, not even between manufacturers...... Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #390385 23rd Apr 2020 8:44 am
Boxbrownie

JulesK wrote:
Soooooo, what happens to all the defunct batteries from all these eco friendly vehicles?

( I am no tree hugging eco warrior but can see this head first spin into cars with more and more batteries as just another example of kicking the can filled with crap down the road for the next generation)

Sheep

They are being used as energy storage at homes and in industry......happening already, the maximum Kappa requirements of domestic energy storage is no where near as critical as in a vehicle. Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #390386 23rd Apr 2020 8:48 am
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

I want to know who is going to buy these new cars as we are staring down the barrel of billions of job losses Big Cry

Post #390389 23rd Apr 2020 10:53 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Powertool manfacturers cant/wont move to a standard battery, it would open themarket up way too much and battery prices would plummet, I see zero hope for cars to standardise, they have to pretend to have superior tech At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #390396 23rd Apr 2020 12:17 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

A Tesla 85kWh battery weights 540kg. If batteries are going to be removable it's only going to add more weight & far more complexity. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #390398 23rd Apr 2020 12:43 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Properly designed there's no reason why it would add weight, the battery though removable could still be part of the vehicle's integral structure. Regarding Chicken George's comment on open competition, it will happen, though each battery is individual the cells aren't, as soon as it becomes economical there will be a multitude of firms springing up to recondition the batteries with various lengths of warranty, as well a number that will "recondition" with a long warranty and just disappear or arise like a Phoenix from the same premises and refute the responsibility for the "previous" company. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #390399 23rd Apr 2020 1:24 pm
Boxbrownie

Lightwater wrote:
A Tesla 85kWh battery weights 540kg. If batteries are going to be removable it's only going to add more weight & far more complexity.

Regards

David

Post #390400 23rd Apr 2020 4:11 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Hmmmm - he says they found the fastest filling station at 10 gallons per minute. How many cars do you know that have 30 gallon plus fuel tanks. Whistle MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #390402 23rd Apr 2020 4:56 pm
Wonderdust

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

There be a few porkies in that video.

Post #390403 23rd Apr 2020 6:20 pm
Boxbrownie

tenet wrote:
Hmmmm - he says they found the fastest filling station at 10 gallons per minute. How many cars do you know that have 30 gallon plus fuel tanks. Whistle

How about an Audi A8 using US gallons.....but then again it was shown live so they must be making it up eh? Rolling Eyes

The big Audi’s can take between 21-25 US gallons, and the guy was actually filling for two and a half minutes as I recall......not so far out really.

But doesn’t really matter I don’t like Tesla’s anyway Laughing Regards

David

Post #390404 23rd Apr 2020 6:26 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Hybrid DS (from what I have read in Autocar, and other sources)

Unlike the FL2 (2 driven axles), the Hybrid DS will from standstill, pull away on electric rear axle only, and only use the front axle petrol engine when software senses it necessary.

I am wondering what the 3 cylinder will sound like, and it's refinement, as LR quote 'inherent character is something we've worked really hard to migrate', 'we've done some special work on the (engine) mountings in 18 months'.

JL say 'This (Hybrid DS) was more capable off road than the conventional petrol and diesel versions in our seasonal testing'.

Reliability/Software Teething issues - I would worry about being in the first wave of buyers as JL say 'Everything here is brand-new tech. Not just the mechanicals, but also the software: the vehicle control systems that work in harmony with the front and rear axle are all new to us'.

Thankfully the packaging allows a spare wheel, and a full 67ltr fuel tank (unusually large for a PHEV).

And lastly (if I am still driving by then) I would buy a Hybrid DS after the first year or so has been produced (and debugged if necessary) - it looks a nice car.

PS Quite a few years ago I was convinced that PHEV/EV vehicles were imminently going to be in plentiful supply, and I had a government subsidised 32amp charging point installed in my garage. - alas, I was too optimistic, and I didn't feel the cars were worth buying as a private (non-Business) owner, - so the point is unused - so far. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #390450 25th Apr 2020 10:58 am
j77

Scotland 

It’s the car LR needs and hopefully sells well. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #390453 25th Apr 2020 11:21 am
Boxbrownie

IanMetro wrote:

PS Quite a few years ago I was convinced that PHEV/EV vehicles were imminently going to be in plentiful supply, and I had a government subsidised 32amp charging point installed in my garage. - alas, I was too optimistic, and I didn't feel the cars were worth buying as a private (non-Business) owner, - so the point is unused - so far.

I thought you had to have an EV/Hybrid registered to your address to get the Gov grant for an EVSE......how did you wangle that? Regards

David

Post #390458 25th Apr 2020 1:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>