« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Diesel fuel additive
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
DavPin212

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Barolo Black
Diesel fuel additive

I have been reading on a few places that it might be better to add a fuel additive to you tank on fill up, this is more prevalent when it comes to a higher millage tank, well so I've been reading.

Since this is my first LR and its sitting on 155k is it worth adding something like redex to my refills as more of a help / prevention of things like fuel lines clogging up as I mainly drive short journeys of between 5 - 10 miles and once a week a longer one of about 100 miles.

I have been reading the extensive forum and noticed that some do and some don't add but also that some just use the higher octane fuel from shell or Esso etc.

I will be using just normal supermarket fuel for my LR as its never done me any harm and I never let my tank get below 1/4 tank so can't drag up the crap that can sometimes gather.

Any thought or experience on this as i'm interested to know other peoples thoughts. Very Happy

Dave

Post #387709 6th Mar 2020 6:58 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

A dose of injector cleaner probably wouldn't do it any harm and may even improve things slightly. I wouldnt bother with a regular fuel additive, just proper servicing. Jules

Post #387710 6th Mar 2020 7:23 am
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

You are unlikely to get a clear consensus on that question here! Smile

Like you, I am yet to be convinced that there is any real difference between supermarket and branded diesel - at least not for us in the north, as it all seems to come in on the same boat and through the same tanks in Inverness.

For what it’s worth, I am in the two-stroke-oil-as-additive camp. It perhaps doesn’t achieve any real benefit, but it made the engine sound less like a tractor, so I am on board! 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #387712 6th Mar 2020 8:02 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

All the fuel brands will possibly come from the same refineries through swap outs . The additive packs per brand will be different , they can be added at the point a tanker is loaded . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #387720 6th Mar 2020 9:41 am
Sperly

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

My experience of additives is also mixed.....I ran my Freelander to 60000 miles using 2 stroke oil and it didn't miss a beat. Periodically, I'd chuck some Millers Eco Max Diesel through just to give it a rinse, but the vehicle was faultless throughout my 7 years with it.

These additives appear to be no more than kerosene, some knock them, others wax lyrical about them, but all I can say is it didn't do mine any harm over many years.

Post #387722 6th Mar 2020 9:49 am
DavPin212

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Barolo Black

thats 2 for 2 stroke, what ratio do you use or another noob way to put it how do you go about adding it to the fuel so it is done right? Dave

Post #387729 6th Mar 2020 12:03 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Down under it comes out of a green hose on one side & a red hose out of the other side of the tanker!

But you will have a different class of diesel for winter. Whereas petrol doesn't have winter issues. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #387730 6th Mar 2020 12:15 pm
Sperly

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

DavPin212 wrote:
thats 2 for 2 stroke, what ratio do you use or another noob way to put it how do you go about adding it to the fuel so it is done right?

275ml per full tankful. I used to run the tank to a range of 6 miles to empty, stick the 2 stroke in, then brim the tank, approx 64 litres of memory serves me correct

Post #387743 6th Mar 2020 4:48 pm
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Similarly, I split a litre bottle of 2SO into four small bottles, run the tank down to the last 30 to 60 miles and just pour the bottle in before filling, while the credit card is clearing on the pump. I keep the small bottles in the right rear passenger door pocket , so it is right there when filling the tank. 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #387759 6th Mar 2020 8:20 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I am yet to be convinced that any (after sales) fuel additive will make much difference to the life or efficiency of an engine.

However I am a great believer in regular servicing (especially oil, grade, and changes) and keeping up with minor maintenance and repairs/adjustments between this servicing. As well as picking up muck and debris as it circulates the engine, its viscosity suffers as it is 'bashed around' by the engine, therefore I do wonder about the ever increasing periods recommended between oil changes these days.

I have also tended to run on the cheapest fuel I can find locally, and (although it doesn't apply these days so much) I avoid smaller, quieter, garages with a smaller turn over, as the fuel may have been in the tanks longer.

In nearly 60 years and 100s of thousands of miles driving, I have only had one engine failure, and two blown head gaskets.
I doubt that lack of additives, or fuel grade, caused either;
Engine failure due to modified engine (1964 Vauxhall Viva) causing a spark plug to fail and wreck the piston rings/bore,
Head gaskets were maker's design error, (1979 Triumph Dolomite Sprint, 1981 Vauxhall Astra) - lack of enough 'land' surrounding the cylinder bore. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #387763 6th Mar 2020 10:06 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Sperly wrote:
DavPin212 wrote:
thats 2 for 2 stroke, what ratio do you use or another noob way to put it how do you go about adding it to the fuel so it is done right?

275ml per full tankful. I used to run the tank to a range of 6 miles to empty, stick the 2 stroke in, then brim the tank, approx 64 litres of memory serves me correct

I often wonder whether it mixes well in the Freelander as it has a saddle type fuel tank. Perhaps just treat it to a tank of special brew fuel every now and then, that’s what I do on my Evoque. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #387767 6th Mar 2020 11:12 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

IanMetro wrote:
I am yet to be convinced that any (after sales) fuel additive will make much difference to the life or efficiency of an engine.

I have also tended to run on the cheapest fuel I can find locally, and (although it doesn't apply these days so much) I avoid smaller, quieter, garages with a smaller turn over, as the fuel may have been in the tanks longer.

I worked at the largest vehicle Research and Engineering Centre in the U.K. we had hundreds of engine dynos and test beds and the fuel we used for everything except legislative sign offs was the cheapest we could buy in Europe, tankered in every few weeks from where ever it happened to be, there were buyers who’s sole job was to source the cheapest fuel. Engines ran for thousands of hours at extremes of endurance on this fuel.

Marketing makes companies big profits Thumbs Up Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #387788 7th Mar 2020 12:38 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Used Millers and Redex occasionally and not noticed any difference at all. My car usually runs on Tesco diesel with the odd premium drink if I need fuel when not near a Tesco branch. Again no difference noticed in performance, economy or noise.
As previous posts, regular servicing, quality engine oil and regular fuel filter changes keep it running nicely Thumbs Up Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #387796 7th Mar 2020 5:33 pm
CT1

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

Boxbrownie wrote:
IanMetro wrote:

I worked at the largest vehicle Research and Engineering Centre in the U.K. we had hundreds of engine dynos and test beds and the fuel we used for everything except legislative sign offs was the cheapest we could buy in Europe, tankered in every few weeks from where ever it happened to be, there were buyers who’s sole job was to source the cheapest fuel. Engines ran for thousands of hours at extremes of endurance on this fuel.

Marketing makes companies big profits Thumbs Up

Agree with this, I don't know of any supermarkets refining their own fuel lol. locally we have a fuel supply dump and all the tankers from all the local petrol stations go for supplies. They connect to the same outlets whether they are Tesco, Sainsburys, BP, Shell the lot all comes from the same pipe.

As far as fuel additives are concerned I think it's all hokkie, morden fuels are so well refined with all the additives you need, years ago we use to decoke our engines but now it never happens. whenever I strip an engine down they are usually clean as a whistle.

Last edited by CT1 on 12th Mar 2020 7:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #388076 12th Mar 2020 7:34 pm
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

Another one for 2 stoke. Worth it for just making engine quieter.

Post #388078 12th Mar 2020 7:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>