Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Don't buy a Land Rover in 2020 (& here's why)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Tigger wrote:
As you’re giving such a big “thumbs up”, does this mean that you know an answer to Bobupndown’s question?

It means I agree with Bobs proposition of the cause of the bearing failure. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #386533 15th Feb 2020 12:24 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Let me rephrase: Are you aware of any hard evidence on this yet pleas?

Post #386534 15th Feb 2020 12:39 pm
Boxbrownie

No, and I doubt LR is aware either Whistle Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #386535 15th Feb 2020 12:56 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Sperly wrote:
Whilst incredibly thirsty compared to my old Freelander,

What MPG are you getting ? Jules

Post #386555 16th Feb 2020 3:32 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

The whole balance shaft thing is a strange one, easy to say the oil dilution causes it, but it happens on the other models - velar xf xe etc.
These other models allegedly have no oil dilution issues

or do these others have more dilution than reported?
in that case are the DS and evoke oil dilution problems a bit over told?

Some starnage theories occur on the forums
1. the balance shaft accidentally got left outside for a night and it rained on them
2 the oil ports arnt drilled out correctly - they are infact lubed by oil spray

my mate had an engine fail in a tractor, the oil ports are drilled from each side of the block and should meet in the middle, in this case the drill holes didnt meet, hole blocked , brand new 7l diesel engine seized in its first month of use,

I will agree with sperly badger , the petrol is so smooth/quiet, you do sometimes find your self looking at the dash for either some revs on the counter or the stop start active light At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #386563 16th Feb 2020 10:11 am
GundogSD4

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Whatever the real reason for theses engine failures turns out to be it does nothing to defuse the ticking time bomb that Landrover ownership can often be Banging Head 94 Disco 300 TDI Gone
96 Defender 300 TDI Gone...Should have kept it.
2003 Freelander ES TD4 Gone
2002 Defender TD5 Gone
2005 Freelander HSE TD4 Gone
2015 Freelander 2 Metropolis Keeping for now!

Post #386570 16th Feb 2020 11:01 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

^^^
That's my concern exactly. It really doesn't matter to a first owner on a pcp. If the engine eats itself then LR will stick a new one in under warranty. But my usual price bracket buying at 3 years old, even with a 12 month warranty if an engine dies at say 4 years old I'm gonna be mightily Censored 'd off and facing a very large bill! Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #386576 16th Feb 2020 11:48 am
Sperly

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

jules wrote:
Sperly wrote:
Whilst incredibly thirsty compared to my old Freelander,

What MPG are you getting ?

Not brilliant, low to mid-20's according to the lie-o-meter. Then again, I'm only pootling about these days, not flying up and down the motorways, so can't really complain at that. I still hope for improvement over time.

Post #386578 16th Feb 2020 12:16 pm
Sperly

Bobupndown wrote:
^^^
That's my concern exactly. It really doesn't matter to a first owner on a pcp. If the engine eats itself then LR will stick a new one in under warranty. But my usual price bracket buying at 3 years old, even with a 12 month warranty if an engine dies at say 4 years old I'm gonna be mightily Censored 'd off and facing a very large bill!

There is a really detailed thread and a post that an owner (former copper) produced, having spent months investigating this issue, I'll see if I can find it.

In essence, there was an issue with the DPF coating (Johnson Mathey) on certain model years that was causing the problem, well, that and owners not driving them properly.

You have to look at it realistically. They have sold over 100,000 of these in the UK alone, and whilst a small percentage have had problems, you don't hear about the other 99,500-odd who have had no problem whatsoever.

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/download/file.php?id=9800

Post #386580 16th Feb 2020 12:23 pm
GundogSD4

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

That report reeks of the Accountants not listening to the Engineers as per usual... Everything at a cost!!! 94 Disco 300 TDI Gone
96 Defender 300 TDI Gone...Should have kept it.
2003 Freelander ES TD4 Gone
2002 Defender TD5 Gone
2005 Freelander HSE TD4 Gone
2015 Freelander 2 Metropolis Keeping for now!

Post #386581 16th Feb 2020 1:03 pm
Sperly

Or the design team not listening to the engineers (which appears to be the consensus on that forum), backed up by penny-pinching accountants. Lose/lose

Post #386591 16th Feb 2020 3:54 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Thank you Sperly, a very interesting read.

Launching products too early, to meet Management Promises and Plans, occurs in most firms.

It seems they had not realised the limitations of using the existing chassis platform with the new engine (and probably newly tightened emissions figures), what surprises me, and worries me, is that even the latest updated (modified platform) DS and Evoque have still basically same Exhaust / DPF design with it's inherent faults.

I think that JLR were wrong to do quick software fixes to mask the problem, they should have stuck to the original oil dilution specification and engineered their way forward.

I hope that it is safe to choose a fore and aft aligned engine JLR model, or a petrol. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #386604 16th Feb 2020 6:42 pm
Sperly

The cynic in me suggests to myself that it was all part of a bigger picture to lure owners away from Dielsel altogether, and back into Petrol. But then again, with my sensible hat on, why would they have invested X £Bn at Wolverhampton if that were the case?

With the exception of my neighbours daughters 2017 Ewok (now fixed), I don't know of anyone personally around these parts that has had the problem....and given where I am located, there are an awful lot of these vehicles trundling about. It goes back to what I was saying earlier in the thread...a few have suffered, undoubtedly, but how many are as a result of owners not giving their cars the workout each week that they need? Even us Freelander euro 5 drivers know that we need to give them a good sprint periodically,

Post #386606 16th Feb 2020 6:57 pm
Boxbrownie

Sperly wrote:
Or the design team not listening to the engineers (which appears to be the consensus on that forum), backed up by penny-pinching accountants. Lose/lose

Not sure how it works at JLR but at Ford the design team for powertrain WERE the engineers, after designing something like that once it was proven then costing asked why it cost so much and needed cutting back, often it ended in something breaking/blowing up and going back to the original design and then the cost reduced in body or trim, after all it’s better to have a seat collapse after 100K miles than an engine blow up! Laughing

I don’t know the ins and outs of that particular engine but it is entirely possible the design was outsourced. Regards

David

Post #386607 16th Feb 2020 7:00 pm
Boxbrownie

IanMetro wrote:
Thank you Sperly, a very interesting read.

Launching products too early, to meet Management Promises and Plans, occurs in most firms.

It seems they had not realised the limitations of using the existing chassis platform with the new engine (and probably newly tightened emissions figures), what surprises me, and worries me, is that even the latest updated (modified platform) DS and Evoque have still basically same Exhaust / DPF design with it's inherent faults.

I think that JLR were wrong to do quick software fixes to mask the problem, they should have stuck to the original oil dilution specification and engineered their way forward.

This is very possible, early launch with testing in a different platform could easily spell disaster, if packaging is an issue there really is not much they can do until a new installation can be engineered, as you say a software “fix” is a bit of a sticking plaster cure. Regards

David

Post #386608 16th Feb 2020 7:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>