Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Are you delaying your car replacement?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue
Are you delaying your car replacement?

I was talking to a few relatives over Xmas about the drop in car sales and a few of us came out with the same story that we were probably in the market for a new(er) car but felt that the next one will probably need to be an electric or some sort of hybrid vehicle but didn't see anything that fitted the bill at the moment. Everyone agreed that they would probably hang on another year and see how things develop. I wonder if this is the root cause of the drop in sales? Anyone out their thinking along these lines? I might be interested in a Hybrid DS of some sort. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #383620 2nd Jan 2020 11:49 am
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

I am of the same thinking we are overdue a change but are going to wait, it might be a suv but it won’t be a 4x4 simply because I just don’t need one, my take on it is the value of diesel cars have dropped so bad it’s got me thinking it might be better to drive the FL2 into the ground as it’s a bloody to nice of a car to give away.

Last edited by Jack frost on 2nd Jan 2020 12:31 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #383622 2nd Jan 2020 11:58 am
Rangie110

Netherlands 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

We are also watching the development of car sales. At the moment seems to best to keep on to our beloved Freelander.
Trade proces dropped significant on diesels, so it does not matter anymore.
At the Toyota stealer they didn't even want to give me a trade price when buying a nearly new Rav 4 hybrid. They were not intersted at all! 'per aspera ad astra'

Post #383625 2nd Jan 2020 12:05 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

No.

First one I owned it for 18 or its 25 years.

Second one 18 years.

Current one 5 years, its a teenager & barely been around the block!

Next one, wheelchair! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #383626 2nd Jan 2020 12:08 pm
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

Yes, it's a tough one. I would love an electric 4WD but I can't see it working out before I have finished driving. Infrastructure for charging/fuelling, range, towing, remote-ish travel - all big problems that are going to take a while to sort down here.

I am dismayed at the possibility there won't be new vehicles with light duty diesels for much longer. MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #383627 2nd Jan 2020 12:10 pm
TooBlue

United Kingdom 

I was considering electric vehicles before I bought the Freelander, but no used EV's for the same price have the same range of 400 miles.

Also I don't drive in cities, so have no need for saving the planet.

Post #383628 2nd Jan 2020 12:14 pm
alex_pescaru

I am with Lightwater and Jack frost on this. I am the type who likes to own it until the end.

Also about "saving the planet"...
Like someone said, the planet will still be here even if we become extinct... The one who needs saving is us.

Post #383630 2nd Jan 2020 1:09 pm
Joedenise

England 

Wife was looking at a Toyota Yaris hybrid but it still only does 50 mpg the wife can get that in her 2017 Yaris so what’s the point

Post #383642 2nd Jan 2020 2:27 pm
GlynnB

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Had mine for 10 years mostly self serviced. Been looking for replacement for 2 years but found nothing suitable yet. Daughter in Law just swapped her Evoque for a Mini (same dimensions?) after a few problems. Son just told dealers he will not be getting another Land Rover after service issues with his 3 year old DS and various other faults and still waiting to hear from Head Office regarding water in rear fog lamps causing failure of rear parking sensors (known fault) Silver 2009 HSE

Post #383646 2nd Jan 2020 2:39 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I’ll also go with Alex, Lightwater and Jack Frost and keep my FL2 as long as they’ll let me. Hybrids still have to charge the batteries for the time when they are operating as an EV so not really expecting better overall mpg or reduction in emissions. EV’s don’t have the convenience that we are used to and need a huge infrastructure to make them really useful. I’m really waiting for hydrogen fuel cells to kick off. The response of an electric motor with the refuel time of a petrol or diesel.
Also safer than EV’s which have batteries to short out, catch fire or electrocute first responders (in the main Joe Public) to accidents. Hydrogen dissipates quicker than petrol when leaked.

Post #383647 2nd Jan 2020 2:57 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

True, the Hydrogen in the Hindenburg dissipated very well Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #383649 2nd Jan 2020 3:40 pm
OLOSTEVE

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Firenze Red

Just coming up to 63,500 miles so at least another 436,500 to go before I have to think about it.

Post #383657 2nd Jan 2020 4:43 pm
j77

Scotland 

No. I’ll be taking delivery of my “dirty” diesel Defender in October, I’ve no intention of jumping on the EV bandwagon. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #383659 2nd Jan 2020 5:05 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

There are multiple problems with the current battery technology. Even small lithium ion polymer battery fires can be pretty violent. Samsung discontinued a whole model of smartphone as they couldn’t stop them from bursting into flames. Even now, you can’t carry lipo batteries in hold luggage on a flight as if they catch fire the combustion is self sustaining. It is unwise to leave these batteries unattended when charging as they can spontaneously ignite. Ever noticed the light below the roll bar on an F1 car or the heavy rubber gloves the marshals wear at a GP? The light is so that the marshals know the state of the electrical system, the rubber gloves to protect the marshals from electric shock. You won’t find me rushing to help at the scene of an accident involving an EV as there is nothing to indicate the state of the system or what parts of the vehicle are live. 300 volts direct current is going to hurt. If the battery gets punctured there is again a high possibility of a self sustaining fire that doesn’t get put out by fire extinguishers.
By the way. We’ve all been dealing quite successfully with hydrogen for decades now. The gas that is liberated from your FL2 battery when it is being charged is hydrogen.

Post #383669 2nd Jan 2020 8:50 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I must firstly confess that I am a Technophile, and was lucky to have been able to have turned it into a career.

Therefore, when the 'new' technology of Electric Cars appeared, I wanted to jump in as an 'early adopter'.
I had a government sponsored (free) 32 amp charging point fitted in my garage, and went off to try out the few PHEV vehicles available at the time.

The more I looked, the more disappointed I became with the actual savings of running on 'non taxed' electricity, and the low real ranges of the vehicles, (when using both electric and petrol propulsion).
On top of that there was quite a premium to pay up front on the purchase price.

The salesmen seemed to keep on about the savings to be made on business tax, not much of an incentive if you are retired.

So I hung on to my FL2 XS for a couple more years and then exchanged it for my FL2 Metro.

I now believe that my 'electric car driving' time will never come.

PS when I was young, I read the Eagle comic, with it's technical drawing centrefolds (which started me on the path to engineering) and more importantly Dan Dare.
Dan Dare and all his advanced technology was set in the future (1990s). It turned out to be optimistic as we haven't got their futuristic modes of transport yet.

PPS Anyone fancy a Censored Range Extender
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a151...e-feature/

Just realised website won't let me use W4NKEL FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #383673 2nd Jan 2020 9:06 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>