Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Are you delaying your car replacement?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

Ill be keeping my Fl2 for a good while yet , my wife maybe changing her 07 Fl2 for one of the last Fl2's and that will sadly be our last Landrover . No 2.0 ingenium here thank you Censored .

Mark 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes , gone after 8 great years)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE(Gone and missing it)
2015 DISCOVERY SPORT 2.2SD4 HSE (For now ?)
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 ecoboost ( Gone but what next )
2014 Ford Focus 2.0tdci Zetec S

Post #383677 2nd Jan 2020 9:21 pm
j77

Scotland 

2.0 D200/240 twin turbos are good enough engines the 180 is Censored 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #383689 2nd Jan 2020 11:04 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I plan to keep our Evoque SD4 for some time (very handy as it’s our mobile dog kennel!) and it will eventually become our second car. Current second car is a Golf Diesel and that will go first. Won’t have another diesel as our mileage doesn’t warrant it plus I’m right on the edge of the 2021 ULEZ so whatever we get, it’ll be petrol as I don’t fancy paying £20 a time or whatever it will be just to get to work or visit friends or family. Probably won’t ever own a fully electric vehicle in my lifetime. Can’t see it happening and if it does, just like diesel they’ll tax the life out of you when they have enough of you by the short and curlies. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #383754 3rd Jan 2020 9:10 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I have held back for a couple of years now. Decided the FL2 may have to run 10-15 years yet, still a babe with just 22,000 miles now.
My wife's city car now 4 years old we went to change but the new version is now 175 quid road tax whereas her current one is zero and only has 11000 miles on it. The incentive to stick with a city car was zero road tax so when we change it next time it will be a much bigger engine car, considering an old 4.0 supercharged Jag for fun. She only does 20 miles in a week with hers.

I think electric and hybrid cars have a long way to go yet in development and are whey over priced. We may end up with an alternative fuel yet. Synthetic diesel may be an option.I have tried a litre in a test engine and very impressed.

With the bad publicity the government gave diesels the car market is currently doomed, EV sales only 1.4%, highest rise by far is petrol and even higher is SUV;s and Van/people carriers.

Once the proportion of EV vehicles is high electric costs will no doubt soar.
I still have a big concern over battery fires & thermal runaway. When they go they certainly go.

Some of the new vehicles out currently have been pushed out too quickly and design flaws all too common. My neighbours Range Rover with the stupid eniguim engine is so fed up with every 3000 miles spending 6 hours at his landrover dealer miles away having regens and oil changes due to oil dilution that they haven been able to fix he wants to get rid asap and he has lost more on it in two years than he has paid for a replacement Dacia which he raves about and even says it has so much more room and visibility & in the first year no visits to the dealer Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #383756 3rd Jan 2020 9:29 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I shall be keeping our 3rd FL2 for as long as possible. Its 5 years old now and has only done 42K miles and since we've both retired it only did 6K miles in the last year - 90% long distance miles to North Yorkshire or Suffolk and towing the trailer when required.

Since the warranty ended Ive done all the servicing - I like fixing things - its a hobby I suppose
This last year was quite busy as I undertook the following (inc costs):

B service kit (genuine) £60
engine oil Shell Helix Ultra AF-L 10L £44
Rear brake pads and disks OEM £70
Autobox oil flush £44
PTU oil £4.80
Rear diff oil £7.50
(Smith & Allan oils)
Haldex oil & filter kit £78
MOT £30
Aircon spray cleaner £16
HB3 bulbs £20
Battery Varta F19 £95

TOTAL = £469.30

Very cheap running costs considering all that has been done. The car itself has behaved impeccably. Like the our 2 previous FL2s it has been 100% reliable. There is nothing on the market comparable if you consider the cost and depreciation of new cars. So I can think of no good reason to change it for the foreseeable future.

However I've probably change our "runabout" Fiesta ST to a 4 door as the doors on the 2 door are so big they dont open very far in tight supermarket car park spaces. And the latest version has several suspension, transmission and engine improvements that I rather fancy. Jules

Post #383768 4th Jan 2020 1:37 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I will be keeping my 2012 F2 for the foredeeeable future and for as long as it suits me, as it does as the most practical and versatile car I have ever had, and it is still a baby in terms of mileage. My only fear is that the environmental terrorists will convince the jump on the band wagon, vote catching politicians to tax it to the scrap heap. As others have said, the value has dropped to unreal levels mostly due to environmental myths.

J

Post #383776 4th Jan 2020 11:55 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Mine is an 09 2010MY HSE auto. Highest TD4 RFL tax band & at 92,500 m presently. I have owned it for about 5 years but do not plan to change it. It drives nicely and does all I want. Now retired and wife in ill health we no longer do much mileage (about 5k pa). I see no justification in changing it, even though I will be selling the caravan ( supposed reason for 4x4 ) as the value has dropped, making it worth more to me than the market.

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #383777 4th Jan 2020 12:07 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

No, replace them when I feel like it.......main car is our i3.......we actually bought it because we loved the design and execution and it’s so much fun to drive and trouble free, saves us a fortune in fuel.....and so far has not burst into flames! Rolling with laughter

We bought the FL2 to replace our FFRR which was our long distance car but as it was sitting in the drive 90% of the time we sold it and bought the FL2 at a third of the cost......it now does the same Whistle

But although they are each completely different from each other we love driving both, for different reasons.

Isn’t that what it should be all about? Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #383783 4th Jan 2020 1:38 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Just had mine for 2 years but have done 43000 miles in that time, currently on 60k miles. My mileage is set to reduce by approximately 2/3 though as moving to new house in the summer much closer to work so the miles will go on much more slowly from then on. I'll keep it another 3 years at least then the real dilemma will be the decision whether to stay with diesels which I love or move to petrol which I'm less keen on. Electric is never gonna cut it for me. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #383806 4th Jan 2020 4:56 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

disco sport online handbook now has a section on how to plug in the charge cable etc, so the hybrid must be near.

My 14 year old ford ranger still runs fine, im keeping it until it dies or until some thing with a modern powertrain appears, basically Im avoiding euro5/6 until things are sorted fully. its a short journey vehicle and I fear a DPF would be a major problem. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #383807 4th Jan 2020 5:04 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Interesting article in today's Financial Times regarding the clear and present inadequacy of the electricity network service to come anywhere near meeting the supposed widespread move to electric vehicles. Electric cars must remain a niche sector in the nation's transport system despite whatever fluff is blown out the exhausts of climate activists until huge (and environmentally non-neutral) infrastructure changes are made. So no need to hold back from making sensible choices just yet. For small car requirement, petrol is far more sensible for most motorists. For larger car requirement, diesel still makes sense despite the somewhat lacklustre engineering solutions to emissions targets.

Post #383809 4th Jan 2020 5:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12