Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > ROUTE THROUGH HEAD LINING (front to rear)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nicke20

United Kingdom 
ROUTE THROUGH HEAD LINING (front to rear)

OK as per previous thread I'm going to install a dash cam, front and rear cameras. I have found a great video on fitting the front camera, pushing wires into headliner gap between screen and roof, down A pillar by airbag and going into front fuse box. the rear camera has a short pigtail of about 6 inches with a small audio jack type connector to the very long cable that needs to go to the camera that will be mounted by the rear view mirror (cable is one end round jack other end plug to go into side of camera) now I would like to do this as neatly as possible so can I run my cable same route to the A pillar and then peel back both door seals to drop the roof liner and try to run it there?? i.e. along the edge?
or
is there a route that goes front to back in the liner already that is easy to access?
like most people who has never dropped a roof liner before I am wary of making a mess of my car Sad
do i need those thin fibreglass poles for routing??

thanks for any tips, photos would be ace

I will as i do this install take lots of pictures so as to make a guide for future installs for members of the forum

TIA
Nick

Post #383431 30th Dec 2019 1:13 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

You should be able to tuck the cable in along the side of the roof lining above the doors and pillars.

I used a table spoon handle to ease lining down very slightly.

You can go through the rear tail gate trunking, but my rear camera is a top of rear window I have just gone straight from roof lining, leaving a small bit of slack to allow the tailgate to open. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #383432 30th Dec 2019 1:55 pm
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Pretty much all front to rear cabling goes along the chassis rails inside the cabin (around seat bases).

Be careful poking wires up behind the roof liner above the doors as this is where the curtain air bags sit. They come out with quite a force and you'll notice if an untethered wire comes out with it.

Post #383439 30th Dec 2019 3:17 pm
nicke20

United Kingdom 

would going along the floor and up the front A pillar be the easier option?

Post #383441 30th Dec 2019 3:21 pm
Delboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I fitted twin cam’s ages ago and routed the rear cable along the roof liner edge on the drivers side. Not in the way of any airbags and I think there may even have been other cables present with ties in place but can’t be sure.
Then across the rear under the liner to the existing conduit hose connecting the tailgate; I put the cable through that with an old coat hanger wire. It then connects straight into the camera with almost no visible cable on show.
The rear edge of the roof liner drops down far enough to allow access. Be careful not to force it though as it will bend and crease.
Sorry no photos but an easy enough job, just fiddly & time consuming. Derek Hill
2009 FL2 HSE TD4 Auto

Post #383471 30th Dec 2019 9:35 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Photos with ceiling down in this thread. I've had the ceiling down twice.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33026.html

Just pull down rubber door seals & push cable behind ceiling lining. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #383475 30th Dec 2019 9:54 pm
Farmer Chalk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Firenze Red

You don’t need to remove or even loosen the headlining....just fed the cable in the gap between the two panels and slide it behind the door rubbers....

Don’t worry about the side curtain airbags.... in our previously mentioned accident all the airbags including the side curtains deployed...the camera cable did not affect them at all....

Post #383476 30th Dec 2019 10:24 pm
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

"Don’t worry about the side curtain airbags.... in our previously mentioned accident all the airbags including the side curtains deployed...the camera cable did not affect them at all...."

That's a hell of a way to test if your cables affected the side curtains, Farmer. MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #383561 1st Jan 2020 10:49 am
Farmer Chalk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Firenze Red

Tested to destruction for your guys benefit! This family is just full of giving!!

Lesson 1....

Post #383578 1st Jan 2020 4:43 pm
nicke20

United Kingdom 

is it costly to replace all of the airbags?
I assume the insurance covers it even though it is not damage!

Post #383581 1st Jan 2020 5:40 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

To replace the curtain airbags which run the length of the car, the ceiling needs to be removed (two people required). To get the ceiling out you need to remove the boot panels, then A,B,C & D column panels. Dashboard is split open so that needs replacing. Front seats get split open. 'A' column covers will need replacing as they will bend open along a split line in the panel. Probably the ceiling will need replacing as well as its light & may loose its integrity, & front seats. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #383596 1st Jan 2020 9:12 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1