« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > steeing lock fault ..not responding
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
meatloaf

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
steeing lock fault ..not responding

Hi All ..I have the steering lock on my freelander 2 /2008 HSE doing the common problem ive seen of not releasing, I have taken it off and cleaned and lubed etc but still random fault on dash and and not releasing with steering lock warning in LCD display... clicking from under passenger seat...Maybe a relay, I managed to get it to release after a few attempts but seems to be getting worse is this the relay or actual lock as its near £200 for a replacement lock (new) is this the only way to solve it or is there any advice of someone out there who managed to do this another way ? quite happy to remove and leave off if I could but dont think I can due to circuit etc ..Ps if I replace Im told it will need to be coded to car ECU ..is that correct...any help appreciated ..

Post #382557 11th Dec 2019 4:08 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Before mine was replaced the guy who sorted it cleaned it really well then greased it up,it worked for ages then happened once so I got him to change it,as far as I know it doesn’t need coding just fit it and think thank **** for that.

Post #382606 12th Dec 2019 7:21 am
alex_pescaru

Re: steeing lock fault ..not responding

meatloaf wrote:
someone out there who managed to do this another way ?
quite happy to remove and leave off if I could but dont think I can due to circuit etc ..

Can be done/disabled via CCF (Car Configuration File).
Then the car will never try to lock it again and you will never get any message anymore.
Therefore, after that, you can safely physically remove it.

Post #382607 12th Dec 2019 7:42 am
meatloaf

thats a dealer thing I presume ?

Post #382619 12th Dec 2019 9:34 am
meatloaf

cant find anyone who will change config file ...insurance thing !! Also been told you can only fit a new one and it has to be config to car ECU, a second hand unit will not work as once config is set that unit will only work on that car and cannot be swapped out to other car.....Is this true ????????????

Post #382627 12th Dec 2019 11:01 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The guy who put mine on never mentioned coding anything.

Post #382628 12th Dec 2019 11:04 am
meatloaf

yes been told by LR workshop it needs to be coded and you can only code a new unit at £230 each ...a second hand unit cannot be re used on another freelander .dam it !!

Post #382645 12th Dec 2019 7:01 pm
Benmeister

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Whistler White

Ive had my steering lock column replaced but it’s happened again where the steering lock will not engage when I take the key out resulting in immobiliser on and car will not turn over, what else could it be?

Post #382719 14th Dec 2019 8:59 am
LRJimmy

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Have a look of this thread chaps

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic32523.html 09 FL2 GS TD4e Current
16 DS HSE Black Current
13 FL2 GS TD4
11 FL2 GS TD4
10 FL2 XS TD4
56 FL1 TD4
72 S3, 6cyl 109 Truck Cab

Post #382728 14th Dec 2019 1:07 pm
meatloaf

Update for all....Ive Taken the steering lock off and found the pin that locks steering shaft is lock / jammed and won't return into motor housing causing causing clicking relays etc etc and warning on LCD i found the this black plastic block at side of pin has a spring based pin and this was holding steering shaft pin in up locked position... so I removed it just clips out once you get pressure of it as it jams into steering lock pin well and good, any way steering lock pin is free to move in and out so returned to car and all works as it should steering locks and unlocks fine no faults ...It would appear this black plastic block with spring pin holds the locking pin up and for some reason won't release it..cant be a safety feature as it holds pin in locked, not unlocked position so cant understand what went wrong, possible wear and tear but it all works fine .now..Just note if you replace this lock you will need a brand new one at (£220) plus coding on ECU, as they are coded to each car they are fitted to and second hand units cannot be used, well I could not find anyone that could do it anyway !!

Anyone who knows what the black plastic block with spring pin in was doing please tell !!

Post #383435 30th Dec 2019 2:48 pm
idlemusket

England 
steering lock

Hi I have this fault also on a 2007 auto been a bit of a money pit so far initially I thought it was just the battery so first I took it off and charged it then the second time I fitted a new batter, of course each time I was unwittingly resetting the thing.
Diagnostic by the garage indicated steering lock so a couple of hundred quid later it was re-programmed and good to go... nope same fault Diagnostic again new lock and program , a few more hundred quid later and yep you guessed it same fault again. I have never had any indication on the screen like some other posts on here have. What I have noticed is the lock sometimes doesn't energise when the fob is removed it is following this I get the non start issue....does this sound familiar to you chaps ?
Any ide what to try next?

Post #385065 22nd Jan 2020 7:44 pm
meatloaf

To be honest take the lock off see if the lock pin (the bit that goes into shaft to lock) is free to move in and out then tape it up so it just hangs under rack and just use you car, when you get the clicking sound and none start thing, check lock pin if its locked in the out/up position ie you cant press back into casing with finger as it should be then you have the same issue as me just pull the plastic block out and all will be fine ..see my pics of said block

Post #385107 23rd Jan 2020 6:59 pm
idlemusket

England 

thanks meatloaf... I am inclined to do this as well, if it goes on much longer . but I would like to understand why the lock occasionally doesn't engage seeing as its a new unit I guess it must receive a signal once the fob is removed so to my mind as the software has been updated could it be something simple like a loose wire?

Post #385120 23rd Jan 2020 8:43 pm
idlemusket

England 
opinions required

Hello all I am still getting this intermittent fault and would appreciate any thoughts or advice 2007 auto cost just over 3K fault seems to be getting more frequent and won't start until I disconnect the battery and the steering lock engages, had the software update then had a new lock fitted this cost just shy of 1K … most recent diagnostic showed a new fault U3000-48 done at an independent garage quote for virgin instrument cluster at £900 presumably fitting and program extra do you think its worth pursuing? I am starting to think not and should just accept the loss I have accrued... what's next in line after the cluster?

Post #387108 26th Feb 2020 7:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1