« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Starting problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Timmy too

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 2.0T HSE Auto Kosrae Green
Starting problems

Hi we have a freelander 2, great car love driving it, but we have a problem that has stumped two landrover dealers, the car will randomly fail to start, the key fob goes in the button lights up all the correct lights, but you can just hear relays clicking and the dash lights up with 'steering lock on'
The first dealer said it would be a software upgrade, charged up 100.00 and we thought great, then it happened again, and again etc, each time we had the car towed, it will always start when on the wagon or when off loaded, the fault does not log on the system so its proving very difficult to live with.
Main points, the dealers both said that the new battery we had fitted was under the amp hour recommended but did not seem to think it would make a difference, I have heard of the additional earth strap would that work?

Post #357234 19th Sep 2018 7:12 pm
LRJimmy

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Timmy,

Use the search function and type in "steering lock on"
You will get loads of returns on here about it and plenty ideas to read up on.

Our beasts are a never ending source of joy but for this one I don't think there is an easy one answer for all fix.

I had it and ended up replacing the lock unit module (which then needs coded to the car and I got the Software upgrade at the same time). I thought it had cured it but occasionally, (if I don't use my work-around) I still get the warning on the dash and it refuses to play. What I have found to be a work around is to put the key fob in the slot and push the start button without pushing the clutch. Wait till the lights go out after the self check, then push the start button. Doing this it fires up every time and has been like that for over a year. Sometimes I forget and just push the button and it fires but most times it reminds me who's really in charge and I have to eject the fob and be patient with it... Rolling Eyes

Jimmy 09 FL2 GS TD4e Current
16 DS HSE Black Current
13 FL2 GS TD4
11 FL2 GS TD4
10 FL2 XS TD4
56 FL1 TD4
72 S3, 6cyl 109 Truck Cab

Post #357251 20th Sep 2018 7:38 am
pjbnet

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

I need to search as well. My Discovery Sport is doing the exact same thing. The dealer told me I was pushing the button for too long but I think that was rubbish!

Post #357255 20th Sep 2018 8:23 am
LRJimmy

As an addition to my last post...

I did read somewhere that you can get the steering lock totally disabled using OEM Autologic so then it definitely cant give you any grief. I guess that depends on personal preference as to whether you want less security in your car, and finding someone who would do it for you?

Assuming it can be done of course?? 09 FL2 GS TD4e Current
16 DS HSE Black Current
13 FL2 GS TD4
11 FL2 GS TD4
10 FL2 XS TD4
56 FL1 TD4

Post #357256 20th Sep 2018 8:42 am
Bobbster

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Mauritius Blue
Re: Starting problems

Timmy too wrote:
Hi we have a freelander 2, great car love driving it, but we have a problem that has stumped two landrover dealers, the car will randomly fail to start, the key fob goes in the button lights up all the correct lights, but you can just hear relays clicking and the dash lights up with 'steering lock on'
The first dealer said it would be a software upgrade, charged up 100.00 and we thought great, then it happened again, and again etc, each time we had the car towed, it will always start when on the wagon or when off loaded, the fault does not log on the system so its proving very difficult to live with.
Main points, the dealers both said that the new battery we had fitted was under the amp hour recommended but did not seem to think it would make a difference, I have heard of the additional earth strap would that work?

One avenue to look at I would of thought would be relays in/associated with the starter circuit?

Post #357262 20th Sep 2018 10:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Timmy too

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 2.0T HSE Auto Kosrae Green

LRJimmy you are a star, just tried your fix, and it started no problem, fantastic thank you very much

Post #357301 20th Sep 2018 5:59 pm
LRJimmy

No Problem Timmy but just don't count any chickens, like I said it is a work-around as we shouldn't really need to do this.

The FL2 does like its battery to be in tip top condition as I know they suffer electrical gremlins whenever there is any battery depletion. Like you mentioned in your first post a second battery earth wire can make a huge difference too, but depending on the age and model you may already have one. Mine is a 2009 stop / start so they all had the second earth as standard.

It would be great to know exactly why they do this but for now I'm thankful that this seems to be working pretty reliably...fingers crossed Thumbs Up 09 FL2 GS TD4e Current
16 DS HSE Black Current
13 FL2 GS TD4
11 FL2 GS TD4
10 FL2 XS TD4
56 FL1 TD4

Post #357324 21st Sep 2018 7:17 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Think the earth strap was fitted on my10 model. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #357325 21st Sep 2018 7:45 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1