« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > dreaded battery drain :(
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Longdave

United Kingdom 

andyk

How did you get on with Tayna for a refund / credit.
I have just the same problem with my Varta Silver Dynamic purchased in May 2016. It was flagged amber on recent service (together with a photo of the test screen) 12.34V 622 A (EN) 79%. After two non-start occasions I sent the report to Battery Megastore who say that the battery is not faulty - just low on charge.

Post #389729 7th Apr 2020 6:06 pm
andyk159

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Not a totally happy bunny to be honest.

Had battery tested at Halfords who said same as you got, battery needs recharging.

Had to return battery to Tayna as they insisted they test it. As I couldn't be without car I ordered another battery. Tayna had said they would refund battery cost if returned was faulty. OK so far.

I ordered a new Bosch battery (with 5 year warranty), as I wasn't impressed with Varta going faulty (possibly) after 2 years on a 4 year warranty.

Having returned battery, at my expense, Tayna agreed WAS faulty and agreed to send me a replacement.

I told them I'd had to buy new one as couldn't be without car so replacement not needed, just refund price of faulty Varta.

Can't do, they said. If you want refund, only 1/3 of cost as 2 years old. Should have bought another Varta then full cost could be refunded, but only remaining period of original would apply to new one. No mention of refunding return costs. When pressed they said only refund return cost in 1st 6 months.

After much tooing and frowing I eventually got call from manager. We finally agreed, unhappily on my part, to the 1/3 refund on battery and refund of dispatch costs. Otherwise they wouldn't honour the 5 year warranty on new Bosch battery. I could have still had the replacement Varta, but with only 18 months warranty, not transferrable, so would probably not have recouped much more trying to sell it on.
I also suggested they be clearer on the information they give when people have to return regarding delivery charges and replacement policy.

In the end it would have been cheaper for me to have sourced battery locally, even at a premium. I know you don't really expect to get problems, but after my experience I would think twice about buying mail order again.

Best of luck, and check details before committing.

Not good experience if that's 2 vartas faulty.
BTW, Tayna also said Bosch are just rebadged vartas, so watch this space. Andy
Freelander2 HSE (59 Plate, MY10 spec)

Post #389732 7th Apr 2020 8:43 pm
GundogSD4

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Yuasa batteries all the way, I've used them for years in my bikes and cars never had any problems, 5 year warranty Thumbs Up 94 Disco 300 TDI Gone
96 Defender 300 TDI Gone...Should have kept it.
2003 Freelander ES TD4 Gone
2002 Defender TD5 Gone
2005 Freelander HSE TD4 Gone
2015 Freelander 2 Metropolis Keeping for now!

Post #389738 8th Apr 2020 6:48 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234