Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > First Post. New Owner. Many Questions.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
zacherynuk

United Kingdom 2012 LR2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Barolo Black
First Post. New Owner. Many Questions.

Hello everybody, please excuse my n00biness.

I am a few days into a new HSE Lux 2012/13 and have a few comments and questions for a starter, I hope I can get some feedback.

I live in the 'hills where is freezes and snows when it doesn't just a few miles away. I Enjoy the odd spot of green laning, but foremost I am a single dad of a special needs - so staying at home is often not an option.

I have had a couple of Outlander PHEVs over the past 5 years, brand new leased through company. Surprisingly good softroad (Once you put real tyres on it) - but chosen because BIC was mega low 5 years ago. Now... not so much. Coming from Skoda world (Had a marvelous Octavia for ~7 years) I hated the Mitsubishi for it's utter lack of sensible switch gear placement. You literally can't see ANY buttons from the driver seat and many panels don't light up at night.

Anyhoo, So I have this new Freelander. The jolt from variomatic backed by lectric to none DSG auto was jarring - but getting used to it.

Not properly green laned yet as I had the "gearbox error-traction lost" error within 50 miles. Though I was deliberately going around a round about at speed to test. I believe this issue is solved now from a 4 wheel tracking and wheel balancing - it was all way off. WAY OFF. I have an ODB2 plugged in and monitoring currently.

So. My Queries.

Keyless entry. I expected this. But it's not there. Crazy.. I mean, I literally find it boggling that I have rfid keys which don't interact with the CL.

Speed limiter. I am used to using a speed limiter more so than cruise control - brilliant in average speed camera areas. I'm surprised I have one without the other.

Air Vent slider doo-da's - 2 broken when purchased. Have purchased some clip in 3D printed ones, which I'll spray chrome probably. But - this seems a big thing.... Anything else like this I need to be aware of ?

Easy Access / Exit - how do I set the 'easy position' ? Eg to get my daughter in with front seat in LOW and then have it lift up ? Or is it driver only ?

Soo.. ahem. That's about it for now Smile haha

My first car of this marque. Oh talking of which - I realise it's mostly a ford, but my paint, whilst black has a lovely burgandy sparkle (purl) , like a similar vintage Jag colour. What colour is that - is it a factory LR colour or a complete respray ?

Bloody hell I'm written a tomb. Soz

Thanks!

Post #378452 17th Sep 2019 8:27 pm
OLOSTEVE

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Firenze Red

Keyless came in from, October 2012, along with LED daylight, electronic parking brake and a few other updates.

Post #378699 23rd Sep 2019 11:58 am
ggb

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

You should have a speed alarm which only beeps when you exceed the set speed. It’s in the menu on your steering wheel buttons.

As for the colour it’s probably Santorini Black.

Post #378700 23rd Sep 2019 12:16 pm
zacherynuk

OLOSTEVE wrote:
Keyless came in from, October 2012, along with LED daylight, electronic parking brake and a few other updates.

Thanks! Mine is a 62 plate registered in March 2013... so was expecting it... maybe an option or something turned off - do they have little rubber buttons or do they auto unlock like dusters, normally ?

Post #378701 23rd Sep 2019 12:42 pm
zacherynuk

ggb wrote:
You should have a speed alarm which only beeps when you exceed the set speed. It’s in the menu on your steering wheel buttons.

As for the colour it’s probably Santorini Black.

Thanks! Yes I saw that bit more fiddly than just pressing a button when you get to the speed - but better than nothing for miles of average cameras...

Post #378702 23rd Sep 2019 12:43 pm
RobLR

United Kingdom 

I have a 13 place, HSE, it doesn't have keyless entry.

I have a few cars. The Freelander 2 does feel a bit old and cumbersome compared to newer vehicles. The infotainment system is pants.

But the upside of this is that it's very reliable. The standard torque converter gearboxes are much more robust than a DSG.
If you keep it well serviced, it should keep going for well over 100k miles.

The MPG isn't too bad for its age. On a full tank with mostly motorway driving, I can get about 450 - 500 miles.

Post #378720 23rd Sep 2019 5:56 pm
zacherynuk

Thanks - coming from a 64 Outlander, then a 67 Outlander I can assure you the infotat on the 2012/3 Land rover is FAR SUPERIOR - sans DAB reception. 68 Outlanders have upped their game with link - but, whilst I'll miss silent running - I havn't lost out too much. Switch gear is more solid and, unlike the Outlander I can actually see it - no longer hidden behind the column (or none lit).

Getting used to an auto over a Constant Variable is the strangest thing - the LR seem to decide not to engage as quickly (I suppose no electyric is to blame) to throttle response on hilly roads is ... hit and miss.

Mine is a LUX so I assumed it would have all of the HSE and all options too. Maybe it was just stuck in a muddy field in Grimsby for too long to be registered after the 'crisis' and just got the dealer upgrades.

I was hoping for 140k miles - already on almost 90 - had a land rover approved 97k service (dunno where that number came from) - including haldex, apparently.

To be fair I just wanted one before the options went away, last of a breed and having written off my summer car, thought I would try a winter car as a daily driver. Whilst wider than the Outlander and noisier It might still be more fun in the green lanes.

Re: Infotat -I just stream everything from TunedIN or Spotify from my phone... the Meridian speaker system is great - as good as any jag I have been in.

Post #378724 23rd Sep 2019 6:29 pm
OLOSTEVE

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Firenze Red

zacherynuk wrote:
OLOSTEVE wrote:

Thanks! Mine is a 62 plate registered in March 2013... so was expecting it... maybe an option or something turned off - do they have little rubber buttons or do they auto unlock like dusters, normally ?

Sounds as though it was old stock, I had a 2009 before changing, so I wanted keyless, day notice and most of the 2013 model updates.
I didn't quite understand your last comment, sorry Crying or Very sad

Post #378730 23rd Sep 2019 8:39 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

RobLR wrote:
But the upside of this is that it's very reliable. The standard torque converter gearboxes are much more robust than a DSG.
If you keep it well serviced, it should keep going for well over 100k miles...................

Change the oil every 70k or so and it should last well over 200k.
Mine had it's first oil change when it started to get erratic at 150k --- way to late, still going solo fine at 185k, but didn't like a 1500kg van at high speeds going over the Pennines (or the "hills" between France and Spain).

This was despite fairly serious abuse off-road, and on-road e.g. dragging 3-4 tonnes out of ditches, dragging the van up some stupid switchback road (1 in 4) with hairpins for miles in San Sebastian.

Genuinely a good piece of kit - just wish the wife would have let me get another rather than a "posh" newer LR. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #378932 27th Sep 2019 4:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1