« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > FL2 Reflections 8 months later
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
mrsimon4x4

FL2 Reflections 8 months later

Hi again,
I got plenty of good advice here about the FL2, but weighing up predicted usage and above all my budget,but in Jan 2020 I ended up plumping for a 2006 (124k km) Mitsubishi Montero/Pajero 2.5L Sahel. Cost 10k€ and I've since spent 1000€ on GF Goodridge tyres and skid plates. And only done 1500kms due to the lockdown and keeping it secret from the wife!!
It's obviously more off-road ready than a FL2 and I even once had to use the whole low range and rear diff lock option when out with some 'youngsters' (I'm a young 55). Recently I've been looking at the FL2 again, as what I want to do does not include 4x4 trials and 'mucking about'!
The Mitsu is really well built and you get the feeling that it's not going to go wrong. But it doesn't have that LR appeal ... sadly.
I even contacted a 2nd hand stealer yesterday that has a FL2 D 2011 on 123000kms with good spec, but manual.12,500€

In the photo the screen says "Oil service", so I guess that means it hadn't been serviced', and the range says 23km, so they are cutting costs. Sadly, that is a competitively priced car! Crying or Very sad
https://www.coches.com/coches-segunda-mano...id=5035723

However, looking through the threads again and on the internet in general I get that LR deja vu feel of 1000€ visits to the dealer and constant niggles; doors not unlocking, noises from diffs, Haldex woes, pipes coming loose, electrics not working .....

2nd hand prices in Spain are so high in general that you can't absorb the 'surprises' in the price. People pay the prices, and the prices stay high.
I've been hit hard by the Covid situation and although I could buy the car above, I'm not sure I'd be able to cover surprises or even want to. If better times come along before I die or retire, I'll definitely be back here with a "I just bought one."

Is it better to hold off without a decent repair budget buffer?
Thanks

Post #395401 12th Aug 2020 9:33 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Easier to save a dollar than earn a dollar!

mrsimon4x4 wrote:
And only done 1500kms due to the lockdown and keeping it secret from the wife!!

How doesn't the girlfriend like it? Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #395404 12th Aug 2020 10:27 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

A lot of dealers will only service the when it’s been sold.

Post #395406 12th Aug 2020 11:01 am
TooBlue

United Kingdom 

Anyone that buys a car should leave at least £1000 for repair bills.

No car is perfect when you buy it.

Post #395410 12th Aug 2020 11:22 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Steering wheels on the wrong side Wink

Post #395414 12th Aug 2020 11:42 am
mrsimon4x4

Lightwater wrote:
Easier to save a dollar than earn a dollar!

mrsimon4x4 wrote:
And only done 1500kms due to the lockdown and keeping it secret from the wife!!

How doesn't the girlfriend like it?

NOT GF, it's the wife, and we'll probably be splitting up before the end of the year. Me buying vehicles always aggravates things!

No car is perfect. But some are lot less perfect than others.
Is it the complexity of the 4x4 system or just LR in general that produces such high unreliability scores?
It's frustrating! Mad

Post #395418 12th Aug 2020 12:10 pm
CED

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Bali Blue

Have to agree, far too many inbuilt faults that are obviously known about but never modified . Plus the pathetic standard of the dealer network , who are so far up themselves , if you are not buying a new model every 3 years , they are not interested in any form of helpfulness .

Post #395419 12th Aug 2020 12:22 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

It's a nine year old car, unlikely to have seen a LR dealer for years, why would you if they are awful where you are and there are so many good independents?

Still it is nine years old and unless the previous owner won the lottery or died, then they have traded it in because it was costing too much to run. I would allow for stuff live a battery, tyres, brake pads (discs?), maybe the odd door lock or window winder. A test drive should let you know if the diff, IRD or haldex are immediately about to fail, but long term who knows, some are great after 200,000 miles some are not. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #395420 12th Aug 2020 12:46 pm
TooBlue

United Kingdom 

mrsimon4x4 wrote:
No car is perfect. But some are lot less perfect than others.
Is it the complexity of the 4x4 system or just LR in general that produces such high unreliability scores?
It's frustrating! Mad

Audi and BMW are just as bad for reliability if not worse for some models.

Just been watching a video on Youtube about least reliable used cars based on warranty claims.

Most of the claims were for electrical and engine issues, and those with air suspension.

The 4x4 systems are well proven, so not a general reliability problem.

Post #395422 12th Aug 2020 12:55 pm
Dartman the one

England 

I think the problem with LR is that as a 4 x 4 only manufacturer of 5 door mainly vehicles,(ok it sells a few 2wd) every other manufacturer sells millions of cars many containing the same components as LR, the failure rate of those components is probably the same as LR over each model in other manufacturers range, so if you have the same components on a 2 door car you then chance a higher failure rate on a 4 door car with door locks and window winders, LR also use the same auto gearboxes as other manufacturers but again most LR/ RR are autos and up to recently use generic engines that at least 3 manufacturers use but mostly on 2wd vehicles. Are LR that bad or do LR owners complain more than others, or is it the the 2nd and 3rd owners scrimp on servicing, how many failures are due to non OEM parts? though I had few niggles on my previous LR I still had it for 9 years with only one major failure, power steering pump at 3000 miles, who makes them for LR? MY 2012 HSE has had two minor faults in 7 years somewhat less than the Nissan, Hyundai and Kia that were owned for shorter periods with less mileage. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #395423 12th Aug 2020 1:16 pm
Paul4751

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

It's that ancient conundrum of Age -v- Reliability. But if it's any help, I once asked a friend/ car dealer if my prospective purchase in 1982 of a 6 year old Range Rover at £3,500 was good value. His reply was to ignore the book values and comparisons; if you've found the car you want and it's approximately the right money, then treat yourself. I followed his advice and bought the two door of my dreams. I loved the concept but the two door manual was a dog to drive smoothly with a very jerky gearbox. I upgraded to a three speed auto 4 door and kept it for 11 years and 340,000 miles. Two new engines, 2 gearboxes, 4 petrol tanks, three power steer units; but I just loved it and wouldn't let go. Since then despite faults and maintenance I've had another RR, two mark 1 FL, and on my third mark 2 FL. All bought secondhand with about 50k on the clock.
You either want a Land Rover or you don't. The End.

Post #395424 12th Aug 2020 1:38 pm
mrsimon4x4

Yep, that sums it up. You either want a LR or you don't.

I went down the Jaguar route, 2 XKR, an S-Type and an X Type. Then I went down the even worse Rover route. And also bought two Porsche 944s from the 80s, always 1000€ per service .... I knew about the potential problems but bought them anyway.

I can truthfully say that I'm in my current poor financial state mostly due to car (and motorcyle) purchases. Repairs and depreciation all drained my funds.

If I know what's good for me, I'll stick with the Mitsu until my finances sort themselves out, and see if I pick up a FL2 or the less desirable (for me) Discovery Sport, and just bite the bullet with all the consequences.

Thanks for the experiences. If nothing else, it's extremely interesting.

Post #395429 12th Aug 2020 3:42 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

The FL2 is the most reliable car produced by JLR since the days of the FL1. On its own it compares favourably with other SUVs. Its the other stuff oroduced by JLR that brings JLR's average down.

The more complicated you make something then there are likely to more chances of faults developing over time IMO.
I bought our current FL2 knowing that it was the last of the line and as JLR has nothing else suiting my needs, i intended to keep it as long as possible. So I bought one with no HID, sunroof or electric seats as in our previous JLR vehicles these have been a source of faults.

ON another note : There are going to be a lot of cheap Mitsubishi SUVs for sale in the near future as the company has now withdrawn totally from the UK and Europe. Jules

Post #395434 12th Aug 2020 6:51 pm
mrsimon4x4

Jules. Thanks for the heads up re: Mitsubishi. Reading the news I found, it looks like they'll continue to sell the current line up of cars until into 2021. At least it's not because the company is closing like Rover. Most people take their Pajeros to 4x4 garages anyway.

Regarding reliability, from research and searches ONLINE, it's seems that indeed the FL2 is the most reliable. A little research on the Disco Sport forum and online buyers reviews it would seem that it's had enormous reliability problems and silly issues such as a rattly B pillar, electrical problems and issues with the Ingenium engine: I had the Evoque and in 2 years and 20000 kms only had to top up the blue, a bit too often. Another complaint is the dealer network. A friend with a RR Sport SVR says he's sick of the crappy service and silly niggles on a 150000 euro car.
In sum, LR , RR have a huge number of fans who are dying to love their brand and own a model but end up either putting up with poor service, and poor quality , or just avoiding the brand altogether.
It's a shame, isn't it?

Post #395449 13th Aug 2020 7:56 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

B pillar. Pull off the lower B trim panel. Stick a knife under the airbag logo to pull it off, then unscrew the star screw, pull off the upper B panel. Short sharp quick firm tug on trim pananls to get them off.

Have a look behind panel to see what's rattling. There is not a lot in there. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #395450 13th Aug 2020 8:17 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>