Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Find Owner From Redg Number
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Richard Willetts

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Sorry forgot to mention I have also reported to Police, it could have been much worse could have been a pedestrian or child. There were only about 3 cars parked and at least 80 spaces free I always try and park out of the way.
I hope the Police prosecute as she as committed 2 crimes, leaving the scene of an accident and driving without due care and attention

Post #377034 18th Aug 2019 11:13 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

So what if you are in a station car park and you hit someone in the morning - are you expected to wait until they come home from work or can you 'leave the scene'. AFAIK you only have to remain at the scene if there is a person injured. They could say 'I left my number on your screen' and you’d have to prove they didn’t. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #377037 19th Aug 2019 6:50 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

So what if you are in a station car park and you hit someone in the morning - are you expected to wait until they come home from work or can you 'leave the scene'. AFAIK you only have to remain at the scene if there is a person injured. They could say 'I left my number on your screen' and you’d have to prove they didn’t.

What would you do if you hit a parked car in a car park? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #377038 19th Aug 2019 6:52 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

As the shop admits to having CCTV but will not disclose it to you, I’d definitely get the local Plod involved......evidence of a hit and run is a juicy one for them. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #377043 19th Aug 2019 9:14 am
ggb

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

If a driver is involved in a collision be it injury or damage only they are required to stop and to remain at the scene for a reasonable amount of time in which to exchange details or to speak to Police. If Police are not present they are required to report it. In Steve’s case the driver should call Police and leave his details or leave them with staff at the car park. As for a note under the wiper we’ve all seen them. In my experience failing to stop, failing to remain and failing to report are all offences for which a driver may be prosecuted. Whether the local Police will do so remains to be seen.

Post #377045 19th Aug 2019 9:53 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Richard Willetts wrote:
Yes full accident caught on CCTV I have been told, but I was not allowed to see it.

I got the redg number from a witness who handed me a piece of paper with redg number on as I was inside a shop but they would not be a witness and did not wish to get involved.

I have got my insurance company involved now so they should track the owner down but if they drove off from a busy car park I am worried if they will admit to the accident and damage she had caused

The key to this is that you have a witness. you need to get details so that your insurance company can contact them.

In my own experience it is incredibly important to get witness information, even if the other party admit their guilt on the day. If you haven't a witness they can change their mind at a later date.

Also photo's at the time are important, plus some evidence that the damage is freshly caused.

Year's ago I was hit by a lorry, whilst stationary in heavy traffic on a multi-lane roundabout. Instead of gathering witness information, I chased after the lorry, and although he admitted it and gave details, he later denied the whole episode.

After many months I had to agree with my insurance company that as I had no independent witnesses my comprehensive insurance would have to take the cost of repair. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #377049 19th Aug 2019 10:56 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Boxbrownie wrote:
As the shop admits to having CCTV but will not disclose it to you, I’d definitely get the local Plod involved......evidence of a hit and run is a juicy one for them.

Juicy? Don’t get your hopes up. When my wife had her purse stolen, they actually went into the bank and withdrew cash from our account on the card (they had observed her paying for shopping at Sainsbury’s and clocked the pin - they then targeted her to get the card). They were caught on the banks CCTV. Barclays said that they would only release the CCTV to the Police, the Police said they would only consider looking at the CCTV if WE could get it from Barclays and take it to them. Stalemate. We just claimed the money back from Barclays.

This happened on a Friday and after reporting it, we had a call from the police left on our answerphone on Saturday morning asking us to contact them on a certain number. My wife phoned the number within an hour only to get a message saying they were closed until Monday. On Sunday we received an email from the police basically saying 'case closed’ as we hadn’t contacted them on the number given!

If the police can’t be bothered to investigate the theft of a purse and blatant fraudulent theft of money, caught on bank cctv, I don’t hold out much hope of them investigating a scratched bumper in a car park! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #377050 19th Aug 2019 11:20 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Steve, that's just pathetic on plods behalf Evil or Very Mad but it's getting more and more the way of things, I was told that our local force actually have to pick and choose which cases they are going to follow.

Hope there's a good outcome to OP case. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #377067 19th Aug 2019 4:15 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Sad facts are the Police are not going to chase up a car park bumper scrape. Maybe if it’d been a hit and run where a person was seriously injured it would be different. It’s just too low down in the scale of things for them to spend valuable man hours on. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #377069 19th Aug 2019 5:57 pm
andyk159

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Richard Willetts wrote:
Sorry forgot to mention I have also reported to Police, it could have been much worse could have been a pedestrian or child. There were only about 3 cars parked and at least 80 spaces free I always try and park out of the way.
I hope the Police prosecute as she as committed 2 crimes, leaving the scene of an accident and driving without due care and attention

The police may not prosecute, but after a visit from them the third party is more likely to admit liability.

In my case they did this, after initially denying liability to insurance. The police visit prompted this. I was also able to press a claim for my expenses (insurance excess, travel expenses getting qumandates and repair from caravan dealer). Insurance also reclaimed all their costs as well.

Its the potential threat of prosecution that has the effect. Andy
Freelander2 HSE (59 Plate, MY10 spec)

Post #377074 19th Aug 2019 8:19 pm
Richard Willetts

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
Can`t believe my luck

On Thursday I went as normal to take my Son`s Jack Russell out for his walk as they both work.

On my return due to the MOTO GP at Silverstone I returned home over the back roads through 2 very quite villages.As I was approaching the 1st village I caught up with a Silver Range Rover,I could not believe it, it was the lady who had smashed into my car, she had black paint and a smashed rear lenses.

I watched her drive into her drive then asked a lady walking along the road her name she said its Mrs xxx xxxx
When I got home I went on BT Phone Book and guess what got the number and address.

I rang her and asked her if she had reversed into my car on xx day she said I was not in Txxxxxx on that day I said who said it was Txxxxxx.

I then said I will ask you again I asked the same question and added the accident was recorded on CCTV, she then said yes it was me, result and I was very lucky

Post #377366 24th Aug 2019 9:30 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Far and indeed out nice one.

Post #377374 25th Aug 2019 6:11 am
Mowog

I wonder if the police would be that interested as it was in a private car park?

Post #377425 26th Aug 2019 10:05 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Columbo would be proud of you. Thumbs Up Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #377483 28th Aug 2019 8:03 am
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

A fair bit of misinformation in this thread. The various UK Road Traffic Acts, Orders and Regulations define a range of legal obligations and requirements relating to driving but the different provisions are place limited and specify whether they apply to "Roads" or alternatively to "Roads and other public places". Hence cops can legally deal with for example drink drive type motoring offences in "public places" but the provisions relating to accidents and the duties to stop or report etc refer to "Roads". So parking lot jousting is generally not police business unless there happen to be other substantive criminal or Road Traffic Act offences committed which are not place limited.

Post #377539 28th Aug 2019 9:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12