« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Soaking wet drivers footwell
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ggb

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black
Soaking wet drivers footwell

Dropped a pen down the side of the drivers seat the other day and had to get it from the rear. Thats when I noticed the well under the drivers seat was absolutely soaking wet with a puddle about 1cm deep. I checked the drivers footwell and it was soaking as well. I use the rubber overmats and generally just lift the edges when hoovering so this was the first I had noticed.

After a thorough search on here I suspected the drain pipe from the aircon. So out came the toolbox. First thing was the panel down the drivers side of the centre console by your left calf. The screw was just about caught and no more. Initial thought was that someone has been here before. Next the the little black flexible pipe running from the aircon unit to a drain in the floor did not look as if it was fully pushed home. I ran the aircon for a few minutes on max blow min temp. No sign of a leak.

I could not leave the carpet as it was so I pulled it out making a few cuts along the square bar between the footwell and the under seat well. This revealed the air vents going under the drivers seat and the gap in the square bar where they passed through. That explained how the water got to the under seat well. Thankfully my seats aren’t electric so the only cable was for the heated seat element which is still working.

The carpet consists of the top layer of carpet, then insulation/sound deadening then thick foam. As soon as I lifted it out it started to drip profusely. I reckon I’ve taken about 2 pints of water out in total from the carpet and off the floor. The carpet is now drip drying, hopefully with some sun over the next few days. I will keep an eye on the drain pipe which I have removed, refitted as far as it will go and cable tied. Will also give it a good hosing down outside to be sure it’s not getting in somewhere else. But hopefully the problem is sorted.

I don’t know how long the water has been there. I would have expected a damp musty smell but nothing. So thanks to those that have gone before me for your knowledge and posts. The matter is hopefully resolved.

Post #374606 4th Jul 2019 9:42 pm
Volrider

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Firenze Red

Quote:
This revealed the air vents going under the drivers seat and the gap in the square bar where they passed through. That explained how the water got to the under seat wel

I might be a bit thick here but where was the water coming from, was it from outside the car? 2014 Freelander 2 XS TD4
Firenze Red

Post #374615 5th Jul 2019 4:52 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Everything is plastic so nothing to rot.

A few photos here near bottom of page of the footwell but with additional insulation, you just see a bit of the air conditioning pipe. https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33026-45.html Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #374616 5th Jul 2019 6:04 am
ggb

Volrider - I maybe didn’t explain it too well. I believe the water was coming from the aircon drain pipe not being fully pushed home into the drain. You can see a small bit of the pipe in Lightwaters 5th pic in his second post in his link. Thanks for the pics. The pipe is black flexible corrugated rubber. It’s just below and left of the two silver pipes going into the engine bay.

I believe the water was running into the drivers footwell from here and then into the void under the drivers seat where the fan shaped blower vents are that give the rear seat passengers some heat. A friend did check under the car as far as possible and said it was all dry.

With a bit of luck it’s as simple as pushing the pipe home and cable tying it. I’ll keep a close eye on it while the carpet dries out.

Thanks for the replies.

Post #374620 5th Jul 2019 8:26 am
Lightwater

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #374623 5th Jul 2019 8:36 am
ggb

Light water - Thanks. That shows it very clearly.

Post #374625 5th Jul 2019 9:47 am
ggb

Further update. Took the car and had it jet washed this morning. Back home noticed a small amount of water by my right foot. Aircon pipe as dry as a bone. After further investigation I found the insulation to the right of the accelerator on the inside of the wing was sodden. When I squeezed it got half a glass of water. On checking the windscreen I noticed the trim on the drivers side bottom corner is not fitting as it should. Got a friend to run a hose over the screen while I sat inside and was able to see the water dripping down the insulation and the wiring coming from there.

So I am happy this is the problem and not the aircon as I previously thought. Now booked in with dealers to have it repaired/replaced.

Thanks again for replies.

Post #374631 5th Jul 2019 12:28 pm
CJOver

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

well spotted.

has the windscreen been replace recently, it could be a job for who ever did the work (Autoglass are the main contractor for insurance jobs). MY13 HSE Lux Santorini Black
MY11 HSE Santorini Black Gone
MY08 SE Blue, Gone
Alfa Romeo GT Gone
Alfa Romeo 156 Space wagon Gone
Volvo V40 Gone
Volvo 480ES Gone
VW Sirocco GTX Gone

Post #374633 5th Jul 2019 12:44 pm
Lightwater

It's nice to have the problem fixed but it is always a relief to actually find the problem in the first place!

The floorpan is lower at the rear. If you pull the vent out under the driver's seat (under my compressor photo), it pushes back in without out problems, you can just get your hand down the hole & feel around for any water. I've been in there to get an air line to the back of the car.

Click image to enlarge

You could even leave that vent out for awhile & run the air conditioning to the feet over a few weeks to get some air movement under the carpet & sound proofing.

If you need new panel clips they are listed on the link I mentioned earlier. The sill clips are LR003015, if they don't seal properly there is a hole straight through to outside.

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Last edited by Lightwater on 5th Jul 2019 1:53 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #374636 5th Jul 2019 1:39 pm
ggb

Light water - Thanks for that. I’ll pull it out and leave for a month or so. That will also let my hand right in the void.

CJ - only had the car a year. Not replaced in my time. I have it booked in with dealer - covered under warranty. I wanted to look at it myself so I knew what was happening rather than be fobbed off with “ oh we couldn’t find anything “ or “that’s it fixed now”. I will just leave the carpet out and dry any water as it happens. Rubber mat back in of course to protect the wiring.

Thanks again.

Post #374637 5th Jul 2019 1:52 pm
Lightwater

If you haven't got footwell lights, look up for the fitting, driver & front passenger, it just needs a globe. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #374638 5th Jul 2019 1:57 pm
ggb

Yes. Already fitted them. Thanks.

Post #374640 5th Jul 2019 2:08 pm
ggb

Update - I have left the carpet out of the drivers footwell for 6 weeks now. Despite really heavy rain the floor is still dry. Took it to the attended car wash today, power washed all over and again still dry. The only thing I have done since the last post was to clear the little drain holes below the wiper spigots. Surely it wasn’t as simple as that? Will refit the carpet and trim over the weekend but I will keep a close eye on it. Fingers crossed. It’s amazing how noisy the car sounds with no carpet.

I did have the car booked in at the dealers under Approved Warranty scheme. Then they told me water ingress is not covered so I cancelled the booking. No paying dealers prices for them to spend hours searching.

Post #376903 16th Aug 2019 7:20 pm
brammer

United Kingdom 

Had water ingress into the drivers footwell this week. Soaking wet carpets and insulation as per the photo. I narrowed down the external source of the leak to around the bottom right hand corner of the windscreen, water coming into the car via the A pillar and exiting through an open hole into the insulation. took it to our local land rover Indy who had a look. Not sure if it was a windscreen problem or not, they removed the scuttle and did some searching with soapy water and an air line. The water ingress was from an open seam where the A pillar abuts the bodywork just at the bottom edge of the windscreen.

Tiger sealed and now water tight again. Wet vac'd and dehumidified about 20 litres of water out of the foam. Thankfully it was not a windscreen problem. According to the Indy that are almost impossible to remove without breaking. Being heated as well make it somewhat costly if it breaks.

Post #376904 16th Aug 2019 8:24 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Always clean the gap at top of bonnet out especially the rubber flaps either end as there ain't half some Censored that gathers in there.

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #376905 16th Aug 2019 8:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>