Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Any 'owners' of Merc GLC or Volvo Xc60 (latest mode)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
GJH0702

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black
Any 'owners' of Merc GLC or Volvo Xc60 (latest mode)

The planning for replacement car has started!.
After 3 LR's - last 1 being a Disco Sport that was rejected I went to a new E class diesel- Comfortable with stunning MPG of 53+ over last 6k miles ( m'way's & A/B roads)
I need new knee's !! so want to get back in a 'higher' up car which is easier to access / egress .
Looking at Merc GLC + Volvo XC60- I know that with demise of the Freelander others like me went 'away' from LR.
Any feedback on reliability, +/- points and MPG would be very much appreciated- Thank you. 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
MY 2016 Disco Sport HSE Auto Scotia Grey,REJECTED
Mercedes E220D AMG line with air suspension(Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 21 (Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 22 (Gone)
Audi Q5 40TDI S line

Post #377665 1st Sep 2019 8:50 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Stop wasting time and get the new knees - then you can keep the Merc.

Seriously, I put off having a new knee for 5 years, ended up on Tramadol AND co-codamol just to walk to the car.
10 weeks after a new full knee back to climbing scaffold. But do not sit down watching TV after the OP walk walk walk, makes recovery faster and the end result (articulation) much better. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #377671 1st Sep 2019 10:05 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

My brother has a Mercedes GLC, see link below about 'known' feature of GLC when on large road tyres.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33275.html?highlight=glc

The good news is that the local Mercedes Main Dealer is excellent (although the original Mercedes Main Dealer was a waste of time when faults started to appear) and at the moment my brother is driving around in a very nice 'loan' E-Class estate while a new wiring harness is being obtained, for the GLC, and fitted for interimittent engine problems.

This latest 'off the road' repair has been going on now for several weeks.

As I said it is a nice car to be in, but have a test drive (trying reversing on full lock, etc) (it may be cured by now) and make sure you have a good Mercedes warranty and a friendly dealer. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Last edited by IanMetro on 1st Sep 2019 5:05 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #377672 1st Sep 2019 10:36 am
GJH0702

Andy131 wrote:
Stop wasting time and get the new knees - then you can keep the Merc.

Seriously, I put off having a new knee for 5 years, ended up on Tramadol AND co-codamol just to walk to the car.
10 weeks after a new full knee back to climbing scaffold. But do not sit down watching TV after the OP walk walk walk, makes recovery faster and the end result (articulation) much better.

You must have spoken to my wife !!!
Yes been 'putting off' two years surviving on injections every 3 months but last one's not worked so will have to be 'brave' and take time off work and get new knee Big Cry 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
Audi Q5 40TDI S line

Post #377674 1st Sep 2019 11:27 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Perhaps your wife needs to try a different "driving position" Embarassed 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #377680 1st Sep 2019 2:13 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Time off work my Censored I was climbing scaffolding 4 weeks after the operation - contractors don't get sick pay.
Seriously get it done, the changes are absolutely amazing, and the pain after only two days is less than you have now.

As a temporary measure, do you know anyone with a hot tub - honest, 45 minutes at 40C gave around two days of pain reduction, paracetamol vs co-codamol Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #377682 1st Sep 2019 3:18 pm
GJH0702

Not too much choice now- will be getting it planned in next few weeks.
Got an auto so been told I can drive after a week.
Did you do Physio every day for 1st couple of weeks ?
Used to cycle app 30/40 miles per week- not been on bike since last October- miss it and I have put lots of weight on so hoping I can get back on bike.- Thanks for 'encouragement' although will still be looking for a new SUV !! 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
Audi Q5 40TDI S line

Post #377683 1st Sep 2019 3:50 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Day one they will get you out of bed.
Day two they will get you to climb a few stairs - at that point they will discharge you.
Spent a day at home on the sofa drinking tea and watching Dave channel before Gill said I was making the place untidy and set me to work doing odd jobs.
Getting up the stairs every hour, then every 30 minutes wasn't fun, but did do the world of good apparently.
Two weeks after discharge was first physio
Two weeks later second phsio, Gill mentioned the scaffolding incident the day before and the Physiotherapist laughed his head off. Apparently most people sit around watching TV and that's what does the damage.
He checked the articulation (must be 90 degrees or more), and discharged me.

I have a lot more than 90 degrees, but still would need to raise the saddle of a bike a good way to cycle properly.
Mine gave me some pain for around a year - nothing like the pre-OP pain though. You will kneel on a full metal knee ONCE.
Cold goes right to the marrow, literally, but soooo much better than before the operation.
Was driving our auto within a week for short journeys (40 miles), Gill took me to the further site visits and I loved the company - wish it was like that all the time. Was told I didn't have to inform the DVLA. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her

Post #377685 1st Sep 2019 5:23 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

I've had both knees done, the 1st 24 years ago at the Droitwich knee clinic and the other in 2011. Andy is right, go for it BUT to get the best out of it you must do the physio and get the 90degree plus bend in the leg. Folk who have problems usually have themselves to blame. As an aside I've also had my right hip resurfaced and an ankle fused. All stems from being smashed up in a motorbike accident 55 years ago.

Edit: I too would be interested in info on the XC60 as it's on my shortlist for when I replace my FL2. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #377689 1st Sep 2019 6:34 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

The new XC60 certainly looks the part, but don’t others find them a bit low to the ground and car like to sit in?

Post #377690 1st Sep 2019 7:45 pm
GJH0702

Andy131 wrote:
Day one they will get you out of bed.
Day two they will get you to climb a few stairs - at that point they will discharge you.
Spent a day at home on the sofa drinking tea and watching Dave channel before Gill said I was making the place untidy and set me to work doing odd jobs.
Getting up the stairs every hour, then every 30 minutes wasn't fun, but did do the world of good apparently.
Two weeks after discharge was first physio
Two weeks later second phsio, Gill mentioned the scaffolding incident the day before and the Physiotherapist laughed his head off. Apparently most people sit around watching TV and that's what does the damage.
He checked the articulation (must be 90 degrees or more), and discharged me.

I have a lot more than 90 degrees, but still would need to raise the saddle of a bike a good way to cycle properly.
Mine gave me some pain for around a year - nothing like the pre-OP pain though. You will kneel on a full metal knee ONCE.
Cold goes right to the marrow, literally, but soooo much better than before the operation.
Was driving our auto within a week for short journeys (40 miles), Gill took me to the further site visits and I loved the company - wish it was like that all the time. Was told I didn't have to inform the DVLA.

Andy- Very much appreciate your time & detail - Thank you 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
Audi Q5 40TDI S line

Post #377692 1st Sep 2019 8:11 pm
GJH0702

tenet wrote:
I've had both knees done, the 1st 24 years ago at the Droitwich knee clinic and the other in 2011. Andy is right, go for it BUT to get the best out of it you must do the physio and get the 90degree plus bend in the leg. Folk who have problems usually have themselves to blame. As an aside I've also had my right hip resurfaced and an ankle fused. All stems from being smashed up in a motorbike accident 55 years ago.

Edit: I too would be interested in info on the XC60 as it's on my shortlist for when I replace my FL2.

Thanks - When I have knee done will definitely be mobile + physio as soon as - just fed up of being 'restricted' 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
Audi Q5 40TDI S line

Post #377693 1st Sep 2019 8:13 pm
GJH0702

Tigger wrote:
The new XC60 certainly looks the part, but don’t others find them a bit low to the ground and car like to sit in?

I sat in one on Saturday and that is my worry- XC90 very high off ground- 60 not so- albeit GLC seemed higher - will try to arrange back to back test drives so I can be certain. 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
Audi Q5 40TDI S line

Post #377694 1st Sep 2019 8:15 pm
Dave D

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

My wife has a 3 month old Volvo XC60. Its a great car in every way but i prefer my SD4.
The Volvo is (in my opinion) overly complicated. For example, you have to use the touchscreen to change the climate control settings, which really does take your eyes off the road. I can change all my heater settings without taking my eyes off the road for more than a second. I accept that most new cars are built this way.
You sit lower in the XC60 although it is about the same height to the roof as the Freelander 2. Getting in and out of the Freelander 2 seems much easier.
The steering is light and very reactive, again that may suit some but I dont find it enjoyable to drive.
The other side of the coin is that my wife's last XC60 did 50k miles with nothing except routine servicing, unlike my Freelander!!
Like many on here I have considered what my next car will be but i have come to the conclusion that I might just be better hanging on to my Freelander for a bit longer even if it means getting the spanners out every now and again!

Post #377704 1st Sep 2019 10:05 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Tigger wrote:

We parked next to a new XC60 the other week at Liskeard Hospital and I was surprised how big (I thought at first it might be an XC90) it was and seemed higher than I remembered, definitely worth a look. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #377722 2nd Sep 2019 8:37 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>