Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Reduced Engine Performance?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Skypilot617

United Kingdom 
Reduced Engine Performance?

Had this Info message 3 times on my SD4 in the last month - but no real reduction in engine performance noted. The second time I was towing 1500Kgs on a French Autoroute and having no difficulties towing uphill at the speed limit.

The other couple of times were in challenging circumstances - driving solo up/down steep narrow tracks and roads in Aveyron. Again no problem with performance and the Info message either cleared itself or cleared on a engine restart.

No DPF issue highlighted either.

Should I be concerned? Freelander 2 SD4 HSE - Ipanema Sand - MD co-pilot - Springer Spaniel in boot - Swift Challenger on the back!

Post #108210 20th Jul 2011 11:09 am
Atrix

Latvia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Lago Grey
Re: Reduced Engine Performance?

As far as I know, 'reduced-engine-performance' might be connected with the DPF. Get the list of error-codes for FL2 engine and among other DPF related messages you will see approx. 7 possible reasons for such a message popping up without real impact on car's performance. Despite the said it wold be a good idea to have your fault recorder checked.

Greetings from Berlin Wink

atrix

Skypilot617 wrote:
Had this Info message 3 times on my SD4 in the last month - but no real reduction in engine performance noted. The second time I was towing 1500Kgs on a French Autoroute and having no difficulties towing uphill at the speed limit.

The other couple of times were in challenging circumstances - driving solo up/down steep narrow tracks and roads in Aveyron. Again no problem with performance and the Info message either cleared itself or cleared on a engine restart.

No DPF issue highlighted either.

Should I be concerned?

Post #108217 20th Jul 2011 12:48 pm
Skypilot617

United Kingdom 

Well now it is being checked out! Towing north on the A20, just south of Limoges, the REP message came on again and I couldn't get more than 2000 revs - you can't tow 1500kgs in 'Limp Mode'! At least I managed to get off the motorway and avoid the Gendarmes.

So now we've an unscheduled stop whilst LRA have the car sorted (I hope) at the LR dealers in Limoges and we try to rebook the vet for the dog and the ferry home.

Will let you know how it turns out. Freelander 2 SD4 HSE - Ipanema Sand - MD co-pilot - Springer Spaniel in boot - Swift Challenger on the back!

Post #108305 21st Jul 2011 7:16 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I had this is the UK just the same as you skyP (Towing 1500 kg) - LR assist got the AA out first who just reset the... whatever it is. Then the second time it did it I asked for a LR mechanic (On the guidence of the AA man) Mr LR arrived in his Disco and rang a few of his mates and got the suggestion that it's the engine management trying too hard to protect the turbo and there's a software update needed. Went into Stratstones Cheltenham for the tweak under warranty and been fine ever since (12 months +), even though I've tried very hard to get it to do it again Twisted Evil Whistle

Post #108310 21st Jul 2011 7:35 pm
Atrix

mcphersonstrut wrote:
I had this is the UK just the same as you skyP (Towing 1500 kg) - LR assist got the AA out first who just reset the... whatever it is. Then the second time it did it I asked for a LR mechanic (On the guidence of the AA man) Mr LR arrived in his Disco and rang a few of his mates and got the suggestion that it's the engine management trying too hard to protect the turbo and there's a software update needed. Went into Stratstones Cheltenham for the tweak under warranty and been fine ever since (12 months +), even though I've tried very hard to get it to do it again Twisted Evil Whistle

Yes, the turbo would be my second guess concerning 'reduced-engine-performance', it could also be of 'mechanical' origin, e.g. an air-hose being loose..

Post #108321 21st Jul 2011 9:23 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

the way to fix this is:-

type ebay into your address bar
click on SELL
type caravan
type used
type buy it now
type £10
finish At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Last edited by chicken george on 22nd Jul 2011 1:04 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #108333 22nd Jul 2011 8:48 am
Skypilot617

United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
they way to fix this is:-

type ebay into your address bar
click on SELL
type caravan
type used
type buy it now
type £10
finish

Made me laugh at any rate! However, the REP problem, though not in limp mode, has also occured when not towing - so there is a more systemic problem to sort out as other respondents have pointed out. Seems that 'les ordinateurs' are an invention of the devil when put in charge of car engine management systems.

Anyway, if they don't fix it soon (LRA engineer now coming out because the Local Dealer hasn't time to look at it until next week) my holiday is going to be extended well over the weekend...... Freelander 2 SD4 HSE - Ipanema Sand - MD co-pilot - Springer Spaniel in boot - Swift Challenger on the back!

Post #108338 22nd Jul 2011 11:07 am
Skypilot617

United Kingdom 

After we were recovered to Limoges LR the dealer did nothing and the car just sat there overnight whilst a friendly AA man came down to see the car. Seems like there are so many Land Rovers going wrong for Brits on holiday that it pays LR Assist to give a contract to AA to deal with the problems (he didn't say this!).

Anyway, at least he knew what the problem was, could deal with it and there were no problems with my poor French and the garages poor English!

It seems that there was little actually wrong with the car but that the software in the Engine Management System thought there was because of sensor readings from the Fuel and exhaust system, this generated emission errors, the REP message and 'Limp Mode'. In the absence of a software upgrade from LR it seems like there is little to do but clear the errors and hope it doesn't happen again.

One tip which may be useful for others to try in similar circumstances - apparently locking and unlocking the car may sometimes clear 'Limp Mode' and allow you to get on your way......

The Caravan Club Red Pennant people say that there are quite a few Land Rovers (of all models) giving trouble in Europe at the moment so come on LR get your act together and fix the software issue. In fact the AA man said it's not just a LR issue and is affecting many of the modern Cat5 cars with DPF etc.

Anyway, fingers crossed we will now make the re-booked ferry on Tuesday! Freelander 2 SD4 HSE - Ipanema Sand - MD co-pilot - Springer Spaniel in boot - Swift Challenger on the back!

Post #108437 24th Jul 2011 9:27 am
Skypilot617

United Kingdom 

Incidentally, whilst LR sort out the software, can anyone recommend a suitable OBDII scanner that might help clear these spurious faults without getting delayed. Freelander 2 SD4 HSE - Ipanema Sand - MD co-pilot - Springer Spaniel in boot - Swift Challenger on the back!

Post #108438 24th Jul 2011 9:29 am
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

AA also have the contract for LR Assist in the UK. If you call LR Assist and there is no technician in your immediate area they will task an AA Patrol. Happened to me back in December.

Post #108444 24th Jul 2011 10:37 am
Atrix

Skypilot617 wrote:
Incidentally, whilst LR sort out the software, can anyone recommend a suitable OBDII scanner that might help clear these spurious faults without getting delayed.

For deleting a display message or the orange 'check-engine' warning light every cheap OBD II will do. I bought Cartrend diagnose tool for 37 Euros. For semi-professionals HawkEye of Blackbox Faultmate FCR testers would be more suitable but they are not cheap.. Good luck Wink

Greetings from Berlin,

atrix

Post #108451 24th Jul 2011 12:19 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Question

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diagnostic-Scann...2c59a9804f

Post #108460 24th Jul 2011 3:24 pm
trevd01

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

AFAIK Landrover have fixed the software issue, there is a recall on MY11s, no doubt your dealer will be contacting you. Mine did even though LR Assist had upgraded the software. Some confusion whether there are two updates or one?

Q106 I seem to recall. Trevor

'60 reg SD4 XS (long gone!)

Post #108523 25th Jul 2011 9:13 pm
alex_pescaru

Q120...
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic7742.html

Post #108527 25th Jul 2011 9:35 pm
APCo

United Kingdom 

Our SD4 has developed a fault that feels like an old fashioned missfire, generally felt as a judder under low load acceleration. It is an auto with nearly 10K miles in 8 months. It has had all the recall updates and has been pretty much faultless until this started. The limp mode has engaged only once when i was trying it in all the modes.

LR assist came out and experienced the fault, offered us a hire car but suggested we took it to our local dealer (it started on a weekend) on the Monday. I had a Jaguar XF for the day before i was told that LR knew of the problem and had 2 cars in their technical centre with the identical issue but had not worked out the cause or cure yet. The suggestion was to take back the vehicle and they would call when they had the fix. That was 3 week ago. I have phoned the dealer twice and they have not come back to me.

Questions:

Has anyone else experienced the fault (is it the same as above)?
How long is it acceptable for LR to leave me with a vehicle that is not really fit for purpose (bogging down when leaving a junction etc is not great)?
How long into the life of a vehicle can you reject it if you get no satisfaction? (I have just read the "when will it stop going wrong thread" which is very helpful on this question)

This is our second FL2, the first being a 57 plate that was a pleasure to own and faultless from new, I have enthused to others and at the moment hate feeling disappointed.

Post #108610 27th Jul 2011 8:46 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>