Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Reduced Engine Performance?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Firstly join the club ! I too had mine fault when down in the Pyrenees with 1600KG van ! Mine also developed steering lock fault 1 also a failure to start and EGR fault as well.
Caravan club red-penant plus are fantastic! if landrover could compete with their service Landrover would be top of the world.

APCo, You mention bogging down when pulling away ! I suffered this for 2.5 years and no dealer could seem to find the fault, it was so bad my wife would drive it. Couple of points.
a If you sit at a junction with your left foot on the brake and hit the gas with the right it will severly hesitate, this is normal as the throttle is cut by the brake curcuit.
b It turned out that mine was pulling away in 2nd gear and not 1st !!!!! NEVER noticed by all the dealers and the weeks it spent in the dealerships ! I knew it was pulling away in 2nd but thought it was by design as my Merc E class is the same. When towing i always had to select command mode to get moving.
Interestingly to fix some other and serioulsy on going issues I fitted an extra very heavy duty earth strap from the battery earth post direct to the gearbox housing by the starter and cleared all the fault codes in the ecu. Now the engine light wasnt on but "reduced performance" used to display regularly. When i got in the car to drive off it litterally took off like a rocket ! i couldnt belive it and also noticed a whine from 1st gear when pulling away! I went to the dealer who didnt know whether it should use 1st or 2nd to pull away so they got another one out to compare and yes they do pull away in 1st so worth a check and if there are any fault codes lurking it may reduce your performance.

Post #108618 27th Jul 2011 9:41 am
Skypilot617

United Kingdom 

trevd01 wrote:
AFAIK Landrover have fixed the software issue, there is a recall on MY11s, no doubt your dealer will be contacting you. Mine did even though LR Assist had upgraded the software. Some confusion whether there are two updates or one?

Q106 I seem to recall.

According to both AA and LRA engineers who came out to see my car it HAS had the Q106 upgrade.

It would seem that there may also be a problem with some of the sensors which need repair. I suggest that anyone who gets REP messages or 'Limp Mode' to have it fully checked by LRA or your dealer.

Mine came back at 7am from Dover on 3 AA 'Relay' vehicles (now I know why it used to be called that!) and has done LR's cause no good. It hit limp mode again on the final leg of our journey in France - fortunately we were almost at the ferry! Waiting 9 hrs for the eventual recovery at Dover did not go down well!

It's going into the Dealer as soon as I get some sleep and the car and van get unpacked! Freelander 2 SD4 HSE - Ipanema Sand - MD co-pilot - Springer Spaniel in boot - Swift Challenger on the back!

Post #108619 27th Jul 2011 9:57 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Glad to hear you made it home eventually. I have to say in 20 years of towing Caravans in France and Spain I have only ever suffered 3 breakdowns in total.2 have been with my FL2 in 2008 when new and this year a week after it spent a week in the dealer having everything put right ! and a plug lead failiure on a 2.0ltrs carlton CDX after driving all night through severe storms and flash flooding.
My L/R whilst in france towing has suffered, light and wiper failure, rear diff, air conditioing, window failure 2008 wehn 3 weeks old !
This year, failed to start at all ! no response from start button, message saying " steering locked " not good whilst towing 8 mtr twin axle van and EGR valve failure !
I am seriously loosing any faith I had left and whilst i would like another I cant put up with all these issues !
I used to go off round Europe for a month at a time with no problems with my Jags but my L/R cant even last a week ! Rolling with laughter

Post #108622 27th Jul 2011 10:15 am
Skypilot617

United Kingdom 

oldgeezer wrote:
I am seriously loosing any faith I had left and whilst i would like another I cant put up with all these issues !
I used to go off round Europe for a month at a time with no problems with my Jags but my L/R cant even last a week ! Rolling with laughter

Not sure I would go that far just yet - but my old Honda CRV towed us round France for 4 years without a single fault or breakdown!

Dealer rang to say that the fault had been traced to a faulty sensor on the DFP filter and I shoudl get the car back tomorrow. as I said before, if you get any faults on the REP side get them checked properly before it bites you in the proverbial! That said this could have been sorted on my initial breakdown in Limoges if the dealer had been even slightly interested and the AA LRA man had given them a proper report. Freelander 2 SD4 HSE - Ipanema Sand - MD co-pilot - Springer Spaniel in boot - Swift Challenger on the back!

Post #108705 28th Jul 2011 7:15 pm
Skypilot617

United Kingdom 

Nearly a week later my SD4 is still in the Dealers awaiting a DPF sensor. I was told today that they are 'robbing' a part from the production line to fix mine! Now doesn't that inspire confidence.

I'm already getting lots of 'told you so!' remarks from those who advised against a Freelander in the first place. Freelander 2 SD4 HSE - Ipanema Sand - MD co-pilot - Springer Spaniel in boot - Swift Challenger on the back!

Post #109082 2nd Aug 2011 3:18 pm
Swingwing

Quote:

I'm already getting lots of 'told you so!' remarks from those who advised against a Freelander in the first place.

Make a note of their names then leave them in the snow drifts this winter

Post #109182 3rd Aug 2011 6:41 pm
Skypilot617

United Kingdom 

Swingwing wrote:
Quote:

I'm already getting lots of 'told you so!' remarks from those who advised against a Freelander in the first place.

Make a note of their names then leave them in the snow drifts this winter

At this rate I might not have got my car back by then. Dealer hasn't told me direct but I heard that the replacement sensor is not available and I'll have to keep the Enterprise TD4 for up to a couple of weeks more!

Anyway the main 'told you so! also has a 4x4 (not LR) so isn't woried by snow drifts either. Freelander 2 SD4 HSE - Ipanema Sand - MD co-pilot - Springer Spaniel in boot - Swift Challenger on the back!

Post #109184 3rd Aug 2011 7:12 pm
Skypilot617

United Kingdom 

Car back yesterday using a part 'robbed' from the production line. Dealer said he'd not heard of this fault before which was why it took just over a week to find the spare! Never been convinced by 'Just in time' logistics!

Anyway, moral here is that Reduced Engine Performance may not just be a spurious fault to be cleared and ignored - get it checked out.

Got a nice clean car back - which is nice since it went into the Dealer's covered in 3 weeks of holiday dust!

Very Happy Freelander 2 SD4 HSE - Ipanema Sand - MD co-pilot - Springer Spaniel in boot - Swift Challenger on the back!

Post #109454 6th Aug 2011 8:36 pm
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

Had same problem with my 150 ps 2011 MY last night. Just left our offices in the Dearne Valley and got a bit of a miss-fire coming off one of the round abouts on the Parkway - fortunately not on the M1 which is where I was heading. Although the 'reduced engine perfomance' mesage can up it definately wasn't in limp home mode an no orange light

Called LRA after turning it off, got out and locked and unlocked car - still same problem. They sent an AA man Chris (all the way from Harrogate (62 miles as the crow flies)) Saw the fault, but nothing came up on his meter, took the engine cover off and the fault disappeared off the display. Net result delayed journey home by 80 minutes......

Followed me all the way home to Bradistan - no problems - Thanks Chris.

Will be speaking to my stealers to see what they know about Q106 and Q120 this weekend.

Will post an update. There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #114436 22nd Sep 2011 9:55 pm
DrownedRat

Crying or Very sad

just checked my Vin and it is after the reported range - mines H227*** so may not be this Q120 after all.....

Will mention to dealer anyway. There's always a way forward!

Post #114442 22nd Sep 2011 10:16 pm
DrownedRat

Rang supplying dealer. DPF poblem? - no just done 45 miles down M1.

Any faults recorded - No - there isn't a problem then.......

Happy for me to take it in so they can have a look but not hopeful.

I work in IT. If a system I design displays a fault it records that fault in a log for reference no matter whether it clears of its own accord or not. I know I did my IT training 20 years ago and I have come across some cr*p code in my time (come to think of it possibly written some too....) but there seems to be some basic principles that have been overlooked.

If the car tells you it has a problem, then it has a problem or it wouldn't tell you. Otherwise the code isn't working as it should and contains an error. Don't tell me that just because there is no error recorded I'm making it up......

LR - if you want some old fashioned It principles then contact me through the site. Thumbs Up

<<RANT>>

BTW Q106 and Q120 not applicable to my car (as expected) There's always a way forward!

Post #114611 24th Sep 2011 4:42 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

@DrownedRat

I too work in IT and have the same ideal regarding my coding - log all errors Thumbs Up

and have seen some pretty awful coding too - my coding is never awful - just needs testing before release - too many others release and let the customer test Embarassed

It does seem strange that we get error messages and there are no errors!!! faulty code - glad these FL2's are not packed with complicated electronic systems...... Wink

I will join your rant over Whistle 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #114618 24th Sep 2011 5:39 pm
DrownedRat

And again today. Similar situation - lightly higher speed stretch of road and a couple of roundabouts.

Decided not to pull over and sit it out but drive through the 'pain'.

After 10 minutes mesage disappeared (again).

Although it did splutter when the message first came up it seems OK now.

Getting too frequent to ignore - don't want to be doing 70+ in lane three and a real problem occurs.....

I understand that there is an addiotnal data logger taht can be plugged in that captures additional messages for persistent offenders - anyone come across this logger? There's always a way forward!

Post #114752 25th Sep 2011 9:08 pm
DrownedRat

Broke again on Wednesday - it doesn't now like Wednesdays.

This time the engine warning light also made an appearance so hoped that it would record an error. Limp home mode too - and it did just that Big Cry

Called LRA and their local guy nearly beat me home - I found out he only lives about a mile away from home.

Plugged it in and found the fault - 'low dpf pressure' - checked for software releases but all up to date so recalibrated the sensor as per bulletin - sorry I didn't catch the number - for info the error code is P244a.96

Cleared the fault and all seems OK. He suggest thta next time (if there is a next time) a new sensor would be the order of the day and suggest treating the car to a run (again)

Fingers crossed all will be sorted now.

BTW - LRA man Craig is great (although he hates forums!) There's always a way forward!

Post #115290 30th Sep 2011 9:33 pm
SamYPKP

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

We got our Fl2 back after last Thursday after a similiar problem.

REP and engine warning light came on Friday before and LRA came and diagnosed a poorly DPF pressure sensor. Beadles in Sidcup replaced the sensor on Monday and did the recalibration - however the REP came back on the drive home so we dropped the car off for more checks.

They replaced the sensor again and after another calibration asked if it was okay for one of the service engineers to take it on a long test run. I also gave the car a nice long test run after picking it up and so far its behaving itself.

Thumbs Up for the service from LRA and Beadles.

Good luck with your issue!

Post #115574 3rd Oct 2011 1:06 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>