Home > Off Topic > Ford Bridgend Engine Plant closure
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

JulesK wrote:
Jack frost wrote:
There will be plenty of jobs picking spuds for the Ford boys when we send all the Poles back after we leave the euro zone, they voted to leave in there masses in the Welsh valleys Whistle Whistle Whistle

Bit racist that and to make light of 1400 job losses is out of order also to be fair your English has let you down a bit there as I'm sure you meant ..... their Thumbs Up

Sheep

Get this all the time, on the farm we employ foreign workers during harvest (Summer/Autumn) they love it here, and you couldn’t find better workers, they get more than minimum wage, free accommodation (granted its holiday caravans) and a car to share for personal use.......a lot are agri students from Europe the rest come back year on year.

Arrangements are already in place for after (if ever) we leave, there is an awful lot of cr@p talked about “it’ll be impossible to get workers after Brexit”, but the process is straight forward. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #373207 7th Jun 2019 12:42 pm
Smallmankey

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Mauritius Blue

And that nicely brings us back to to the closure of Bridgend Engine Plant (BEP) as the Si6 engine was of course assembled there.

I am sadly one of those caught up in this news as I have been contacting there for some 12 yrs now - sadly this will be over very soon though as has been said it isn't a surprise the news still feels a bit of a hammer blow.

As a contracting scumbag (how I and others where affectionately called!) sadly I won't be lucky enough to see any of the generous redundancy that Ford employees do.
Cant look back negatively on my time there though, it has been a good number of years even if it hasn't been as enjoyable recently. Andrew

Post #373208 7th Jun 2019 12:42 pm
Boxbrownie

oldgeezer wrote:

Im not convinced electric cars are there yet.When its right they will have electric motors on all wheels eliminating the need for brakes, drive shafts traction control, stability control, CVT transmissions, prop shafts , gearboxes and much much more making them very quick and nimble & lighter. Current electric cars have just been adapted and more development is needed.

Ours is quick, nimble and lighter than others and not adapted from Dinosaur floorpan technology, clean sheet design Carbon fibre passenger shell and fully aluminium chassis.

And always gets “there” Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #373209 7th Jun 2019 12:52 pm
Boxbrownie

Smallmankey wrote:
And that nicely brings us back to to the closure of Bridgend Engine Plant (BEP) as the Si6 engine was of course assembled there.

I am sadly one of those caught up in this news as I have been contacting there for some 12 yrs now - sadly this will be over very soon though as has been said it isn't a surprise the news still feels a bit of a hammer blow.

As a contracting scumbag (how I and others where affectionately called!) sadly I won't be lucky enough to see any of the generous redundancy that Ford employees do.
Cant look back negatively on my time there though, it has been a good number of years even if it hasn't been as enjoyable recently.

Sorry to hear this, I had years of watching good friends and work mates gradually take the bullet and walk away, and sometimes pushed Crying or Very sad the best years unfortunately were decades ago, the Ford company in Britain has been purposely winding down gradually for a long time.

Best wishes finding another contract/work elsewhere Bow down Regards

David

Post #373210 7th Jun 2019 12:59 pm
SouthamFL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Tigger wrote:
SouthamFL2 wrote:
Never argue with a Remoaner......they will drag you down to their level of blinkered stupidity, and beat you with experience.

The typically ill thought out and unillustrated argument of the ill informed! Laughing

As opposed to your supposed superior intellect, and frankly irrelevant rhetoric you mean? Get back to parroting your Guardian and carry on plotting with your fellow hippies to overthrow British democracy. Not so long ago you would have found yourself in the Tower for your treacherous opinions, that is, before the Lib-tards started to erode insidiously all British values in the name of communism. Comrade Corbyn awaits your application, that is, if you haven't joined him already..... Rolling with laughter MY13 HSE Lux.......faultless since new.

Post #373213 7th Jun 2019 3:00 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Laughing Thumbs Up

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #373215 7th Jun 2019 3:15 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

SouthamFL2 wrote:
Tigger wrote:
SouthamFL2 wrote:
Never argue with a Remoaner......they will drag you down to their level of blinkered stupidity, and beat you with experience.

The typically ill thought out and unillustrated argument of the ill informed! Laughing

As opposed to your supposed superior intellect, and frankly irrelevant rhetoric you mean? Get back to parroting your Guardian and carry on plotting with your fellow hippies to overthrow British democracy. Not so long ago you would have found yourself in the Tower for your treacherous opinions, that is, before the Lib-tards started to erode insidiously all British values in the name of communism. Comrade Corbyn awaits your application, that is, if you haven't joined him already..... Rolling with laughter

Southam, Please stick to the point and refrain from your personal attacks, - its tiring

Whatever the reason these engineering plants are closing down, they were providing good jobs and taxes to support us in this country.

If you have an answer to how we can reverse this then please let us know. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #373217 7th Jun 2019 3:27 pm
SouthamFL2

Ah, so it's alright to personally attack me and anyone else that voted to leave as "ignorant" and "ill-informed", yet when a bit of retaliation is shown its "tiring"? Hypocrite, but then what could I expect from another Lib-tard crab. Do as we say, not as we do......... we are ultimately SOOO superior to you wicked racist little englanders.

As has been repeatedly mentioned in this thread, Ford have been winding down in the UK for years, decades even. The entire car industry worldwide is in decline, for reasons also posted in this thread, had you bothered to read it fully. This will not change in the future, there is no silver bullet.

Tell me, as an arch-remoaner, what is your proposed solution to the worldwide slump in both engine manufacture and the car industry in general? Perhaps you could blame climate change instead of Brexit for a change? Go on, enlighten us all? I double-dare ya!
Rolling with laughter MY13 HSE Lux.......faultless since new.

Post #373218 7th Jun 2019 3:46 pm
Cherokee

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

Well said Southam - I 100% agree with you.

I to am getting fed with be labelled as a WACIST everytime I mention that I actually voted leave in the referendum.

Cheers
Brian

Post #373219 7th Jun 2019 4:34 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

SouthamFL2 wrote:
Tigger wrote:
SouthamFL2 wrote:

As opposed to your supposed superior intellect, and frankly irrelevant rhetoric you mean? Get back to parroting your Guardian and carry on plotting with your fellow hippies to overthrow British democracy. Not so long ago you would have found yourself in the Tower for your treacherous opinions, that is, before the Lib-tards started to erode insidiously all British values in the name of communism. Comrade Corbyn awaits your application, that is, if you haven't joined him already..... Rolling with laughter

Oh, you are funny. But, I’ve got more important things to do than write a full reply to all of this nonsense of yours! Laughing Just carry on by yourself if you find it helps Thumbs Up

Post #373221 7th Jun 2019 4:57 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I'm afraid I don't have an answer.

Since I started driving in the early 1960s, cars have become very much more reliable and long lasting.
My first car was in a poor state after about (from new) 3 years and 60,000 miles, apart from the rust starting to appear, the engine had lost nearly all it's compression, with the corresponding 100 mile/pint oil consumption.

Today I would expect well over 100,000 miles with no rust or severe reliability problems. So individual cars last longer and do not need replacement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_longevity

Also the fact that car ownership has grown over the years, and I would guess that the market is now virtually saturated.
I think the following report shows that multiple cars per household are holding sales about level, and scrappage plans don't give the necessary new sales.

https://www.racfoundation.org/wp-content/u...report.pdf

So I guess that we will need less cars, so what work can we find for these skilled people and manufacturing plants?

To leapfrog forward, to the next big idea, we need to invest heavily in education, training and research, backed up by central government funds, quite a few countries manage to do it somehow. After all, from what I read, the Bridgend Engine plant started with Jim Callagham doing a bit of lobbying with Ford and providing some government grants to get it built in the begining.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-485...-of-an-era FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #373222 7th Jun 2019 5:06 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Tigger wrote:
SouthamFL2 wrote:
Tigger wrote:
SouthamFL2 wrote:

Oh, you are funny. But, I’ve got more important things to do than write a full reply to all of this nonsense of yours! Laughing Just carry on by yourself if you find it helps Thumbs Up

FFS you started on this when everyone else were talking about Bridgend Ford. Jesus, give me strength Yawn If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #373223 7th Jun 2019 5:22 pm
Boxbrownie

It rained so hard here today my drain blocked up with grit......but I blame Brexit Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Post #373224 7th Jun 2019 5:31 pm
Boxbrownie

Or is that Brexgrit? Thumbs Up Regards

David

Post #373225 7th Jun 2019 5:32 pm
SouthamFL2

JulesK wrote:
FFS you started on this when everyone else were talking about Bridgend Ford. Jesus, give me strength Yawn

A trait of the left, I'm sorry to say. They hate both democracy and fact when confronted. MY13 HSE Lux.......faultless since new.

Post #373226 7th Jun 2019 5:32 pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>