Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Ford Bridgend Engine Plant closure
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Tigger

United Kingdom 

What Brexit has done, sadly, is devastate investment in the future by the automotive industry in this country.

Post #373177 6th Jun 2019 8:20 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

nothing to do with Brexit.
On the cards long before, but to add to that the motor industry is taking a massive hit currently due to the decision to ban diesels. Its 20 + years away yet but its had an immediate effect and many of my acquaintances in the trade are packing up ass the down turn in sales of cars especially diesels has been massive.
The country is in a quandary as to what to do with changing cars so most are sticking with what they have.
EV is not there yet and there just isn't the infrastructure to fully support EV

LPG should have been promoted
Synthetic diesel can be produced, i've used it
Hydrogen should of been pushed harder
There are cleaner engines out there but the government just says no
The Dearman engine running on water & liquid nitrogen ZERO pollution would of been a fab idea for an electric car with a built in generator Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #373181 6th Jun 2019 9:40 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

I certainly would never buy another diesel.

It will either be a petrol or a petrol/hybrid probably.

Iain

Post #373183 7th Jun 2019 7:07 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

oldgeezer wrote:
On the cards long before, but to add to that the motor industry is taking a massive hit currently due to the decision to ban diesels.

Brexit, as the UK self inflicts tariffs to and from its largest supplier of parts and largest market, is one factor of several in the recent rapid decline in UK car manufacturing:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48545733

It’s difficult to attach much of the blame for the closure of Ford’s Welsh plant on the move away from diesels, considering that this is where Ford build their petrol engines in the UK (diesels are built at Dagenham!).

Post #373184 7th Jun 2019 7:59 am
SouthamFL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Never argue with a Remoaner......they will drag you down to their level of blinkered stupidity, and beat you with experience. MY13 HSE Lux.......faultless since new.

Post #373185 7th Jun 2019 8:55 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

iain cooper wrote:
Iain

Totally agree especially with the oil dilution and balance shaft issues (which are not confined to JLR Ingenium engines, same problems with eg Mercs and Ford engines ) I might be interested in a 3 cylinder petrol/hybrid DS if they ever arrive. Might make sense to have a front wheel drive with electric assist from the back. Potentially removes haldex, transfer box, prop shaft and diff. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #373187 7th Jun 2019 9:55 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Jack frost wrote:
There will be plenty of jobs picking spuds for the Ford boys when we send all the Poles back after we leave the euro zone, they voted to leave in there masses in the Welsh valleys Whistle Whistle Whistle

Bit racist that and to make light of 1400 job losses is out of order also to be fair your English has let you down a bit there as I'm sure you meant ..... their Thumbs Up

Sheep If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #373189 7th Jun 2019 10:43 am
j77

Scotland 

Fords been struggling for years in Europe, their cars just don’t appeal like they used to.

EV and Hybrid sales are on the up yet Ford as nothing to offer in this segment. And I thought JLR where slow. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #373192 7th Jun 2019 10:58 am
Cherokee

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

[quote="Tigger"]

oldgeezer wrote:
On the cards long before, but to add to that the motor industry is taking a massive hit currently due to the decision to ban diesels.

Brexit, as the UK self inflicts tariffs to and from its largest supplier of parts and largest market, is one factor of several in the recent rapid decline in UK car manufacturing:

We are leaving the EU - get over it !

The UK had a referendum in 2016 & the majority 52% voted to leave, that's how democracy works.

Cheers
Brian

Post #373194 7th Jun 2019 11:08 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Dorset
"Totally agree especially with the oil dilution and balance shaft issues (which are not confined to JLR Ingenium engines, same problems with eg Mercs and Ford engines ) I might be interested in a 3 cylinder petrol/hybrid DS if they ever arrive. Might make sense to have a front wheel drive with electric assist from the back. Potentially removes haldex, transfer box, prop shaft and diff."

Hmm not sure about the 3 cylinder engines yet. many of the citroen 3 cylinder engines are having real issues with carbon build up by 20,000 miles plus, to the point they are undriveable.
To reduce emissions many engines are going over to direct injection, so now there is no fuel to wash the inlet ports and valves and with EGR & closed crankcase ventilation and huge mileage between oil changes its a disaster.
Some manufactures are having to resort to direct/port injection.
newer petrol cars are giving off carcinogenic nano particles more harmful than diesel particles that can be absorbed directly through the skin so now we have GPF's being fitted to catch these particles that in themselves are presenting more issues, and petrol cars create more CO2 than diesels because they burn more fuel.

A report from fleet news states
The average CO2 emissions across all cars sold in Europe reached a four-year high of 120.5g/km in 2018, according to Jato Dynamics.
Its analysis found that CO2 emissions had been steadily reducing year-on-year, reaching a low of 117.8 in 2016.
A fall in demand for diesel cars from 2017 has led to a reverse in the trend. Average CO2 emissions across Europe increased to 118.1 in 2017 and 120.5 last year.

To add to this, as we all go over to electric there is going to be a bigger demand on the national grid.
The national grid have what they call STOR sites, now about 25 of them producing support electric for peak demands powered by none other than huge banks of whopping great diesel generators
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFlT86M_JaM
worth a watch as its shocking when you think we have been told how bad diesel is !& these are kept very low level & quiet.

Im not convinced electric cars are there yet.When its right they will have electric motors on all wheels eliminating the need for brakes, drive shafts traction control, stability control, CVT transmissions, prop shafts , gearboxes and much much more making them very quick and nimble & lighter. Current electric cars have just been adapted and more development is needed. Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #373195 7th Jun 2019 11:12 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

SouthamFL2 wrote:
Never argue with a Remoaner......they will drag you down to their level of blinkered stupidity, and beat you with experience.

The typically ill thought out and unillustrated argument of the ill informed! Laughing

Post #373196 7th Jun 2019 11:23 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Cherokee wrote:
We are leaving the EU - get over it !

Is that really the level of the discussion?

Post #373197 7th Jun 2019 11:25 am
j77

Scotland 

dorsetfreelander wrote:
iain cooper wrote:
Iain

Totally agree especially with the oil dilution and balance shaft issues (which are not confined to JLR Ingenium engines, same problems with eg Mercs and Ford engines ) I might be interested in a 3 cylinder petrol/hybrid DS if they ever arrive. Might make sense to have a front wheel drive with electric assist from the back. Potentially removes haldex, transfer box, prop shaft and diff.

No problems with oil dilution with the D240 on my Velar and no balance shaft issues either, though I know owners who have had balance shaft issues.

Unlike the big out of date lump under the bonnet of my D5. Which the new owners are now having replaced under warranty.

I’ll be sticking with diesel until there is a more viable alternative, and electric isn’t it. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #373203 7th Jun 2019 12:00 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Same here Thumbs Up

How long before another group of scientists say " wait, the last lot were wrong stay on diesel's" If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #373204 7th Jun 2019 12:23 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

iain cooper wrote:

Iain

Thumbs Up which is why when we sold the FFRR 3.6V8 we went and purposely sought the FL2 i6......a gem of an engine.

And when it comes time to change again like you we will buy (most likely) another LR with a Petrol/Hybrid drivetrain. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #373206 7th Jun 2019 12:32 pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>