« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Cold weather MPG
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
AndyT

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Pete S. wrote:
When I bought my TD4 SE Auto in April last year, my first trip was from the dealers (London) back home to Blackpool. At a general 70-75mph I averaged 38.4 I think it was, which seemed very reasonable. In December we took it to Torver for its 12 month first service (less than 9,000mls) and it had the PTC thing done too. Went down to Northampton at Xmas and got 32.7mpg. I've been up to the Lakes in Jan with a very light foot and got the same. Ironically, I'm getting 29mpg round town.

So it's not just me then. I was also getting high 30s mph (sometimes 40+) until it went to the dealers for some minor issues. The ECU firmware was upgraded to solve a wandering tickover issue and since then I can't get better than about 35 no matter how careful I drive.... and it's a manual.

I might see if they can downgrade the firmware and live with the tickover thing?

Post #38694 12th Mar 2009 11:10 pm
colinsb

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Indus Silver

After a few days swanning around the Midlands, I had my first chance to do my regular commute this morning (20 miles mostly nadgery country roads and a bit of stop/start dual carriageway). From 0 degrees C, it did exactly 38mpg, which is the same as my previous commuter, a Saab 9-3 150hp diesel auto. I am very happy with that.

Post #38965 17th Mar 2009 1:04 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Just had a busy spell at work, have covered 1800+ miles in ten days. I'm on my fourth tank of fuel, but within those miles I've used three full tanks. MPG across the three tanks (measured full to full - not the computer) 41.8 mpg Shocked

That's far too good. I think there is something wrong with my car, will have to take it to the stealer and get its software updated. Whistle Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #39090 20th Mar 2009 8:51 am
Schipper

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Tambora Flame

I must have a problem - bought the Freel a couple of weeks ago - driving from Tonbridge to Bristol a couple of times cannot get better than 33mpg very light foot in an auto. Previous car was a SKL 350 auto and it did more at eye watering speeds. Ideas!! Bow down Checked tyres and all the normal causes.

Post #39091 20th Mar 2009 9:21 am
AndyT

Schipper, my guess is you've got the same ECU firmware revision as me. I get slightly more than that with motorway (65-75mph) miles, but mine's a manual. I can get around 40mpg with A road (30-50mpg) if I'm very careful. Next trip to the dealers, I'm asking for different firmware.

Post #39095 20th Mar 2009 10:34 am
Schipper

Hi Andy - any easy way of checking the version or code no for the ECU firmware that is installed. I also wonder if it is just worth getting the chipping kit suggested on another thread, Bluefin I think it was called, have to look it up again. Rolling Eyes

Post #39101 20th Mar 2009 11:27 am
AndyT

I suspect it would need to be accessed through computer/software connection as happens at the dealers. In theory, it would be possible from the inbuilt satnav system (model permitting) if it is connected to the car's CANBUS network, but I'm not sure if that's been implemented. I've read before about diagnostic/engineer modes via the satnav screen but I'm not sure how far they extend.
I've asked this before, but if anyone is aware of codes and access to such modes it would be useful to collate a list. If we could easily access ECU revision versions, we could do our own poll to assess which is better.
Whenever any owner has service work done, It might be worth asking for a list of firmware versions. They might be reluctant to offer that but we can only ask. Rolling Eyes

Post #39102 20th Mar 2009 11:44 am
Schipper

If LR dealers are anything like Merc dealers, they know little too nothing. Need to go to an Indie that is interested in the Freel. I will try to contact one in East Peckam that my brother in law rates very highly.
Good idea to put a list together, we could then, as you say, find which version returns the best fuel consumption. (The Merc could be accessed via the sat nav into engineering mode - I had to show the workshop how to do it, it bypassed their 'star' diagnostics unit for basic settings.) but it did let you know what the garage had in fact done - or in my case - not.

Post #39106 20th Mar 2009 2:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123