« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Just had a weekend away with new motor and caravan
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ashtons99

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Just had a weekend away with new motor and caravan

This weekend was the first outing for both. Obviously some may consider crazy but we decided to face the weather, hook the new Abbey Spectrum onto the HSE auto and see how things went.

We only did about 30 miles to the site on a combination of local roads, motorway and coutry lane, some dry, and some snowy surfaces. I was so impressed with the towing ability of the FL. Ive towed in the past with an X5, a number of RR Sports and other large 4wd. What the freelander 'lacked' (I use the word relative to the huge power TDV8 RRS engine) in power it more than compensated for in stability.

My experience of the big 4wds is that they do suffer from some roll and tramlining instability whereas the FL2 exhibited none of these traits. Even the ubiquitus low flying lane 3 white van men failed to rattle the combination.

The auto box never faltered, and never hunted for the correct gear for speed unlike some autos I have towed with.

Not strictly right I know, but I could maintain a great rear view without the cumbersome towing clip ons.

Fuel usage was quite good too at 24mpg, given the variance of roads, stop start town work and the best part of 60 -70mph at times on the motorway I consider it to be quite satisfactory.

All in all a good start to the pairing. Hopefully the first of many.

Last edited by ashtons99 on 11th Feb 2009 12:34 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #36888 10th Feb 2009 11:59 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

nice little write up Thumbs Up

Glad it went smoothly on your first outing, i have mine out this friday coming for it service, so its a quick trip up to catterick to have it done Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #36889 11th Feb 2009 12:15 am
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Glad you enjoyed it. Thumbs Up

I tow with a manual GS, its the best tow car (and biggest) I have had so far. Certainly is a dream to tow with (I tow 1400kg Fleetwood). I've covered a few thousand miles towing, I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy the FL2 towing experience.

Our van is maximum width (2.29 metres?) and with towing mirrors certainly get a good view of the rear corners of the van. Thumbs Up Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #36893 11th Feb 2009 3:27 am
AHoy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

The positive van towing reports on the Freelander 2 were a significant factor in choosing the car so it is good to get further confirmation via the forum. I have only done a 30 mile test run with our van on the back (Abbey GTS @ 1350 Kg) but again very pleased with the performance and stability. Some longer runs with the van coming up soon so will be able to give feedback on fuel consumption for a manual TD4.

Looks like impromptu forum "chat groups" could well form around some campsite BBQs.

Post #36910 11th Feb 2009 10:43 am
Grumpa 2

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

These reports are music to my ears as I got my FL2 about five weeks ago and have not had the chance to tow with it yet. Hope to do so in the next couple of weeks.
Perhaps there should now be a section on towing/caravanning with CG as moderator !!!
Rolling with laughter

Post #36938 11th Feb 2009 2:02 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Grumpa 2 wrote:

Perhaps there should now be a section on towing/caravanning

Its called the off-topic section Evil or Very Mad At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #36944 11th Feb 2009 2:26 pm
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Interesting site I think:

http://www.towcar.eu/index.php

(I've posted it before)

Post #36946 11th Feb 2009 2:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
commjet

I tow a 1500kg van with a FL gs manual and its a dream. on motorways i have founf if i travel at 65 the the car is happy to pull in 6th all day and mpg is around 28mpg You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Post #36965 11th Feb 2009 6:15 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Today towing a completely empty caravan to Catterick i had rather surprising miles per gallon

On the way there i rest the trip computer once i had pulled on the the A1

Approx 50 Miles journey @ 60mph = 20 - 23mpg Shocked

Same trip on the way back, solo @ 80 -90mph = 38mpg

I normally get nothing near that, 26mpg towing a fully ladened caravan and around 28-32mpg sol at 80-90mph

Something wasn't right there

At the start of the journey when i hitched up, i did a few forward and backward start stops just give the caravans brakes a little bit of use as it hadn't moved in a few months since October last year

Back up to collect it tomorrow, so i shall see what the morning brings Wink Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #37105 13th Feb 2009 10:37 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:

On the way there i rest the trip computer once i had pulled on the the A1

Approx 50 Miles journey @ 60mph = 20 - 23mpg Shocked

You know I get good mpg most of the time, the one time it drops (through the floor) is when I've got the 'van on the back. Somehow I just can't hang back, the outfit just wants to get there .... I bet my towing average is around 21-22 !!! The combination just begs to be driven ... I can't explain it ...

This is in complete contrast to solo driving when I find it easy to 'cruise', I've just filled up tonight at 590 miles with 67 litres, thats a tad over 40mpg and includes 150 miles of short cycle around town driving. I find it quite easy to be restrained when solo, but put the van on the back and I go for it (probably thinking that CG is behind me !!!)

Anyway just confirmed our seasonal pitch for the van, 1 March to 31 October on a site 110 miles from home so I can concentrate on the solo 'eco' drive back and to each weekend !!! Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #37111 14th Feb 2009 12:16 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i like to get there too when i have the van on the back, but 20mpg is shocking compare to normal, and the return leg mpg was clearly too high, as its better than the LR published ones done at 60mph inside on a rolling road with no wind to get in the way Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #37113 14th Feb 2009 12:28 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Or go to Scarborough 'Royal hotel' is doing dinner bed and breakfast for £38 a head Cool and we get access to the pool to teach the lad how to swim Thumbs Up At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #37120 14th Feb 2009 3:14 am
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

I'm not surprised at all to see your 20-23 mpg. Towing my caravan, I have the same consumption.
Be carefull though with this short distance calculations. For instance wind-force and direction influence the mpg considerably. I noticed also that it's better to drive a bit faster so that the 6th gear is choosen rather than going for "eco" by driving (too) slow so that only 5th is engaged.

Last edited by Paul on 14th Feb 2009 4:22 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #37125 14th Feb 2009 11:04 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rover60

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Or if you had a auto you could put it into command shift and select 6th gear when the terain allowed you to 07my Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Baltic Blue,Privacy Glass,Ebony black leather,Land rover detachable towbar,S/S Side bars,Climair wind deflectors,Bramble Rash,

Post #37134 14th Feb 2009 3:39 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

todays trip got my normal mpg whilst towing

Didn't bother with 6th gear, as i find it too high ratio for towing, just easy to set 65mpg and hit the cruise control button

Ended up looking at a new twin axle today too, but decided against it for the time been, as there is nothing wrong with my caravan for the time been, until the kids are a little older anyway, and the wife didn't like the interior cloth design Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #37142 14th Feb 2009 5:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>