Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rear Diff drain plug DIY
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: Rear diff drain plug-diy

davyboy wrote:
Hi Jules, excellent work there as I always love seeing engineering ie the use of taps etc, what ceases to amaze me though is, kwe all know whatever oil is out there eventually it requires renewing, so with the excellence of landrover’s expertise plus design why on earth do they not put a drain plug in from manufacture. Lifetime oils are not available as of yet especially in the motor industry. Maybe I’m wrong but for piece of mind new oil is far cheaper than a replacement.
Do they think they’re going to sell more components because of this?

Rgds DaveP.

Its all spreadsheet manufacturing. The cost of drilling a hole, tapping it, installing a plug - all times several thousand will add up to a big enough sum to give a manager a bonus. Plus the consequences wont be felt by JLR during the warranty period.

JLR's current reliability record couldnt really get any lower; so nothing to loose by continuing in the same vein. Jules

Post #431859 19th Apr 2023 10:41 am
merlinj79

United States 2008 LR2 i6 S Auto Tambora Flame

MotionInc wrote:
merlinj79 wrote:
merlinj79 wrote:
Did this mod today, went fine. The drill grabbed and bottomed out as it broke through, I was afraid I'd hit something internal but it looked like it just hit the side of the case where it necks down.

Tapped carefully, then flushed it out with a L of fluid before filling with another L.

I used a Goldplug MP-02 magnetic plug for the new drain.

I switched to AMSOIL Severe Gear synthetic oil, not really comfortable with OEM dino juice given the problems with that diff. Will change every 40K.

About 600 ml drained out, and then I used a hand pump to see how much more I could get which was another 100 ml. So basically got most of it through the drain hole. The old fluid was pretty dark but not pitch black (30k on a new Diff with OEM oil). It wasn't very hard to pump it out (unlike some cases) so it might be better to just do that rather than drill and tap.

I tried to install a Goldplug AP-05 for the fill hole, so I could check for metal periodically without draining the diff but the head on AP-05 was too wide. Might be able to make it work with several washers but the washer that came with it was too wide as well. Caveat, Goldplug did not advertise AP-05 for this application, I was experimenting. I'll try to come up with something magnetic for the fill hole. Could not find the AP-05S.

Update, first oil change since the mod, at 40K.

No issues with the drain, the amsoil was dark with just a hint of color so I think I like my arbitrary OCI.

No metal swarf or chunks like what I found the first time, so I'm writing that off to poor quality control at the factory. The magnetic plug had the usual amount of very fine ferrous sludge that you'd expect.

I had ordered some washers for my drain plug but they got misplaced in a recent move. Fortunately it turns out the engine oil drain washers for my Acura are just the right size, got lucky there.

Also did the haldex fluid and filter, that was the same color, also 40K.

You installed the drain plug in the PTU or the rear diff? If you did tap the rear diff, can you post a photo of the exact location that the read diff was tapped?

I did both actually.

For the rear diff I drilled through an existing boss with a hole, which might have been intended for that purpose or it might have been used to position the case for machining or assembly at the factory. The boss was nice because it helped guide the drill bit true. I have the older diff design, the newer version might not have that boss, not sure.

See my previous post in this thread. I ended up using two aluminum washers and HondaBond RTV to seal the drain plug. That was easier than trying to machine a perfectly smooth and true surface with the diff on the vehicle, especially since I only need to remove it every 40k.

To ensure the RTV sets up without being immersed in gear oil I let the diff drain for a couple hours while I did other tasks on the car, then tilted it to the RH side for a few minutes to get out anything left near the drain hole.

Post #431869 19th Apr 2023 5:12 pm
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

merlinj79 wrote:
merlinj79 wrote:
Did this mod today, went fine. The drill grabbed and bottomed out as it broke through, I was afraid I'd hit something internal but it looked like it just hit the side of the case where it necks down.

Tapped carefully, then flushed it out with a L of fluid before filling with another L.

I used a Goldplug MP-02 magnetic plug for the new drain.

I switched to AMSOIL Severe Gear synthetic oil, not really comfortable with OEM dino juice given the problems with that diff. Will change every 40K.

About 600 ml drained out, and then I used a hand pump to see how much more I could get which was another 100 ml. So basically got most of it through the drain hole. The old fluid was pretty dark but not pitch black (30k on a new Diff with OEM oil). It wasn't very hard to pump it out (unlike some cases) so it might be better to just do that rather than drill and tap.

I tried to install a Goldplug AP-05 for the fill hole, so I could check for metal periodically without draining the diff but the head on AP-05 was too wide. Might be able to make it work with several washers but the washer that came with it was too wide as well. Caveat, Goldplug did not advertise AP-05 for this application, I was experimenting. I'll try to come up with something magnetic for the fill hole. Could not find the AP-05S.

Update, first oil change since the mod, at 40K.

No issues with the drain, the amsoil was dark with just a hint of color so I think I like my arbitrary OCI.

No metal swarf or chunks like what I found the first time, so I'm writing that off to poor quality control at the factory. The magnetic plug had the usual amount of very fine ferrous sludge that you'd expect.

I had ordered some washers for my drain plug but they got misplaced in a recent move. Fortunately it turns out the engine oil drain washers for my Acura are just the right size, got lucky there.

Also did the haldex fluid and filter, that was the same color, also 40K.

@merlinj79, for some reason I am unable to quote or reply to the post just above this, so, thanks for the info and pics, now I have to drill and tap mine as draining this diff properly of any metal is a must!!!

Post #431889 19th Apr 2023 10:34 pm
bryanjsmith

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Stornoway Grey

p_gill wrote:
merlinj79 wrote:

Merlin,

To make the AP-05 fit you will likely just have to switch to a smaller washer (as you pointed out).

I can measure the size of the washer that I am using if you are interested.

For my Son's VW the drain bolt on the engine oil pan tends to leak because the washer isn't easily centered.
I fixed this by using a Dowty washer and then an aluminum washer.
I suspect that this would work for you as well.

Take care

Paul

Help appreciated.

I've just bought the gold plug AP-05 - Seems too big to tighten up, hits the Diff casting - How did you make it fit and tighten it up? I can get it in the existing drain plug ?

Post #432050 25th Apr 2023 2:25 pm
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Merlin says /posted above Gold plug MP-02 magnetic plug for the new drain.

Post #432053 25th Apr 2023 3:56 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

merlinj79 wrote:

For the rear diff I drilled through an existing boss with a hole, which might have been intended for that purpose or it might have been used to position the case for machining or assembly at the factory. The boss was nice because it helped guide the drill bit true. I have the older diff design, the newer version might not have that boss, not sure.

My 2014 plate FL2 has the boss which looked very much it was designed originally for a drain plug. Jules

Post #432059 25th Apr 2023 9:37 pm
merlinj79

United States 2008 LR2 i6 S Auto Tambora Flame

Arctic wrote:
Merlin says /posted above Gold plug MP-02 magnetic plug for the new drain.

Yes, MP-02 fits fine in the boss.

Post #432061 26th Apr 2023 12:22 am
Arctic

Quote:
jules wrote:
merlinj79 wrote:

My 2014 plate FL2 has the boss which looked very much it was designed originally for a drain plug.

Hi Jules.
That be this one then, never did the drain plug on this change but it will be done on next one in the spring.

Post #437004 13th Nov 2023 4:18 am
MotionInc

@Artic, pictured above, is that where you drilled and tapped the drain plug? Can you guestimate the depth of the casing you drilled? I looked at the pics you posted elsewhere but it was unclear to me exactly where you drilled??!

I haven't drilled mine yet but I have time at the moment.

Post #438313 10th Jan 2024 4:01 am
Arctic

Quote:
@Artic, pictured above, is that where you drilled and tapped the drain plug? Can you guestimate the depth of the casing you drilled? I looked at the pics you posted elsewhere but it was unclear to me exactly where you drilled??!

I haven't drilled mine yet but I have time at the moment.

HI Motioninc

Below is the link on how i did mine recently.
https://www.freel2.com/forum/post438302.html#438302

Post #438320 10th Jan 2024 12:43 pm
MotionInc

Thank you! Thumbs Up

Post #438323 10th Jan 2024 1:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234