« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Thinking of binning my 64 plate td4SE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bluebird1999

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black
Thinking of binning my 64 plate td4SE

My TD4 has 3 months ‘used approved’ warranty left and is due a service in a months time, it’s done 21k miles and I’m thinking of moving it on to get a Volvo XC60. I have considered trading it back to my local LR dealer for a DS but they don’t really appeal to me and seem to be beset with more problems than FL2’s.

Not sure if I’ve been over influenced by the myriad of problems with FL2’s discussed on here.

Not sure if I’ll get a decent trade in against a different brand? 64 plate TD4 SE Santorini Black
2021 Mazda MX5 GT Sport Tech

Last edited by Bluebird1999 on 24th Sep 2018 1:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #357528 24th Sep 2018 1:19 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

I moved from the Freelander to the XC60 over 3 years ago and would recommend.

Went to the showroom to look at Disco sport, etc, and was really impressed with the Volvo rather than the LR.

Iain

ps I don’t think the FL2 has any more problems than any other vehicle, it's just getting older now.

Post #357530 24th Sep 2018 1:37 pm
Bluebird1999

Thanks Iain, a friend of mine has just gone into the SUV market and tried a good few, in the end he chose a Tiguan ( of which I’ve had 2) he did prefer the XC60 most of all, but it didn’t suite his Mrs, who has some back problems. 64 plate TD4 SE Santorini Black

Post #357531 24th Sep 2018 1:40 pm
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

I'm thinking about the Volvo XC range when I eventually change my FL2
I have owned 7 Volvos of various types (not an XC yet) and enjoyed them especially the build quality

Wouldn't let the problems that appear on forums put you off as that is what most people are coming on for - seeking help to overcome them - there will be many thousands more owners who are running problem free that never comment in places like this.

Good luck whatever you decide No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #357534 24th Sep 2018 2:32 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I’d be reluctant to part with a low mileage, high spec, FL2. I certainly wouldn’t trade it for a DS - not only is the FL2 the better car, but a colleague has had a nightmare experience with his; it’s 2 years and 4 months old (and 97,000 miles) and it’s in and out of workshop, breakdown after breakdown.

I did take a look at the XC60, just a few days ago and first impressions were very promising Thumbs Up The only bug bear is that restrictive 60,000 mile warranty but, if you’re a low mileage user, it’s not a problem

Post #357535 24th Sep 2018 3:40 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Few problems doesn't make a bad car Thumbs Up

Don't mention Tiguan and back backs Evil or Very Mad 3 months from brand new was enough for me, one trip to bonnie Scotland nearly killed me. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #357546 24th Sep 2018 7:47 pm
iain cooper

Bluebird1999 wrote:
Thanks Iain, a friend of mine has just gone into the SUV market and tried a good few, in the end he chose a Tiguan ( of which I’ve had 2) he did prefer the XC60 most of all, but it didn’t suite his Mrs, who has some back problems.

surprised at that as the XC60 has amazing seats, and I have spoke to a few people who have commented that due to back problems the Volvo is the only car they can drive.

I must say I have driven very long distances in the Volvo without feeling the need to stop for a break, surprising even myself !

We did look at the Tiguan, but felt it a bit claustrophobic inside with a lower roofline.

Iain

Post #357569 25th Sep 2018 7:44 am
Greybeard

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Quote:
Bluebird1999: Not sure if I’ve been over influenced by the myriad of problems with FL2’s discussed on here.

I think it is very easy to be over influenced. To redress the balance a bit I have had my 08 for 8 years now and apart from annual maintenance and a couple of disc and pad changes (all of which I have done myself including the fuel filter every year) I have never had issue apart from:
Throttle body changed because it had seized.
Tailgate switch unit.

Both if these were straightforward to change.

I had a failed radio as well, but that turned out to be due to an aftermarket handsfree set badly installed (not by me!) shorting out a radio feed, so I can't blame the car for that.

On balance its been far and away the most reliable car I have owned although I have to admit most of the previous ones were Land Rovers as well!

Post #357595 25th Sep 2018 1:24 pm
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Bluebird. Is your only reason for wanting to change fear of breakdowns and other expensive repairs, or is it just that you don't like the car or it fails to suit your needs for some reason??

If it is the former and you do actually like the Freelander, I would definitely keep it

There is a feeling on here that the late models have generally been very reliable with all the earlier problems sorted out. I have a MY 2013 from nearly new, now on 94k miles and the only problems I have had other than normal consumables have been to replace the rear tailgate switch at a cost of £20. I am just about to replace the wheel arch protectors at a cost of £50 and quite a few HB3 headlight bulbs say £60

for peace of mind, the money you could save by not trading it in (£5 - £10k ?? more??) would cover a lot of possible repairs which will probably never happen

Oh! and in the interest of balance, my next door neighbour has a 64 plate Volvo XC60 which has had two replacement engines (on warranty) following oil in the coolant, so you take your chances!!!

Steve

Post #357599 25th Sep 2018 2:24 pm
Bluebird1999

That’s food for thought. Main reason is the fear of big bills, I must admit after nearly 2 years with only an electrical glitch, it’s been very reliable, towing a caravan and regularly driving in forests in all weathers.

Having had my Porsche in for a major service today with £1200 of advisories being require plus £560 for a major service, brake fluid and spark plug change, I think that the FL2 will be staying for a while. 64 plate TD4 SE Santorini Black

Post #357622 25th Sep 2018 8:33 pm
GAT

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

I think I’d keep hold of it if the only reasons for change are your fears of big bills.

You have probably the most reliable, Land Rover have ever produced in their whole range, so just enjoy it. Take a look over on the Disco site to cheer yourself up Laughing

Post #357628 25th Sep 2018 10:33 pm
Bluebird1999

Think I’m convinced to keep it for another year and see what happens Very Happy 64 plate TD4 SE Santorini Black

Post #357632 25th Sep 2018 10:54 pm
LR2hselux

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

FL2 is the LR most techs drive, very few issues at all when compared to other makes and models and generally pass Mot no problem.

Post #357716 26th Sep 2018 11:08 pm
ad210358

England 

iain cooper wrote:
I moved from the Freelander to the XC60 over 3 years ago and would recommend.

Went to the showroom to look at Disco sport, etc, and was really impressed with the Volvo rather than the LR.

Iain

ps I don’t think the FL2 has any more problems than any other vehicle, it's just getting older now.

Also looking at the XC60, only issues for me is the depreciation and as soon as you take them off the forecourt the look dated.
After a few years they look very bland. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #358096 3rd Oct 2018 9:33 pm
iain cooper

if I was changing mine I would definitely go for another XC60.

we had a look at the XC40 the other day as it has brilliant reviews, but the XC60 still fits the bill for our needs.

salesman worked out a deal against a new XC60 Inscription, and reasonably happy with figures.

thinking about it Thumbs Up

Iain

Post #358103 4th Oct 2018 7:35 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>