« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > TD4 Auto - no "stop" on the shifter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
OSHANDA

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue
TD4 Auto - no "stop" on the shifter

I'm experiencing a problem with the shifter on my TD4 auto and I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with anything similar.

Basically the shifter does NOT (edit from the original post - my typo) lock when you select a gear setting eg "Drive" or "Park". You can simply push the selection lever through each setting with no resistance. It doesn't lock in as it should.

The LR mechanics not been able to sort the problem in the short time they have had to look at the car but they have assured me the car is still safe to drive. I've driven 400km today since the problem was found yesterday.

By way of background, I had my car in for its 36,000km service on Friday and just as the service mechanic was bringing it out to me to take away he stopped and took the car back to the service bay. He said there was a problem with the shifter. He thought the problem was with the gear stick itself so replaced it within about 15 minutes and I took the car home. As I was driving home the problem re-occurred but it was too late to go back to LR as they had closed. I took the car in again this morning as soon as I was able and the mechanics looked at the car for an hour but said they couldn't pin down the problem before they closed (Saturday half day) and they didn't want to drop out the transmission an hour before they shut the workshop. So with some trepidation I took my car away and I'm waiting from a call next week to work through the next step in solving the problem. The car has performed fine so far on my trip. Reflect on the past and plan for the future. But, above all - LIVE FOR THE MOMENT!!!

Last edited by OSHANDA on 26th Jan 2009 6:22 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #35419 24th Jan 2009 11:11 am
mburton2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

When the shifter is in park, can you hear a click (Solenoid activating) from the shifter, when you press/release the brakes?? (Ignition needs to ne on)

Can you confirm if the brake-lights are working?
Does the "P" symbol (On the cluster, NOT on the Shifter itself) Flash when you push the brakes?

Is there a warning chime from the car, if you are in NOT Park (ie R, N ), ignition off, and drivers door open?

When you say there is NO resistance....do you not have to squeeze the button to from N => P?? '57 FL2 GS
Sumatra Blk, Tints, Winterpack, Dodgylooking TowBar, roof rails, Front & Rear LED Indicators, Clear Side repeaters(Led), LED Rear Position/Brake lights, Additional Power-point in the boot & Brighter luggage Illumination fitted

Post #35428 24th Jan 2009 11:46 am
wombat

United Kingdom 

I had this after the PTC heater was replaced. I was told that is was just an adjustment, so I dropped the car off, picked it up later and it is now fine.

Post #35446 24th Jan 2009 2:29 pm
OSHANDA

mburton2 wrote:
When you say there is NO resistance....do you not have to squeeze the button to from N => P??

No, the shifter moves through the full range of selections from Park all the way down without having to squeeze the button.

I'll have to check your other points.

Cheers Reflect on the past and plan for the future. But, above all - LIVE FOR THE MOMENT!!!

Post #35556 26th Jan 2009 6:20 am
mburton2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

If you dont need to squeeze the button, the shifter is faulty & needs replacing... '57 FL2 GS
Sumatra Blk, Tints, Winterpack, Dodgylooking TowBar, roof rails, Front & Rear LED Indicators, Clear Side repeaters(Led), LED Rear Position/Brake lights, Additional Power-point in the boot & Brighter luggage Illumination fitted

Post #35557 26th Jan 2009 6:51 am
ashtons99

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Mines the same - it moves through all the gear positions without having to press the shifter button on the lever.

I dont really find it a problem............certainly not enough to have it ripped apart!!

Post #35969 1st Feb 2009 7:20 pm
rover60

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

As for the auto.To move from park to reverse you have to push the knob in. From reverse you can go straight in to neutral or drive without pushing the knob in you can go from drive to neutral without the knob but it will not let you select reverse without the knob in 07my Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Baltic Blue,Privacy Glass,Ebony black leather,Land rover detachable towbar,S/S Side bars,Climair wind deflectors,Bramble Rash,

Post #35970 1st Feb 2009 7:27 pm
ashtons99

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

not on mine.I can move it to and from park or any other position without the 'button'. It is redundant on my selecter...........

need i worry?

Post #35974 1st Feb 2009 8:48 pm
tunaz100

United Kingdom 

I have had the same problem since my heater recall, the dealer says it is a minor adjustment, it's booked in to sort next week..

Post #35976 1st Feb 2009 10:06 pm
xxtrail

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Been following this topic as my Auto 'trigger' has had hardly any movement since heater mod was done, and could select other positions without the trigger. Phoned dealer this morning, took it in this afternoon, they adjusted it while I waited and it's now back to it's good old self.

I also noticed that they had scuffed driver's side of handbrake grip when doing the heater mod, which they tidied up a bit today, but it's booked in Thurs for them to have a proper go at it.

I'll give them full marks for now Thumbs Up Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #36062 2nd Feb 2009 4:35 pm
rover60

xtrail when you say its back to its old self do you have to push button in to select any of the gears? 07my Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Baltic Blue,Privacy Glass,Ebony black leather,Land rover detachable towbar,S/S Side bars,Climair wind deflectors,Bramble Rash,

Post #36075 2nd Feb 2009 6:45 pm
xxtrail

Not sure rover60, as I'd always squeezed the trigger to change (force of habit), and only tried without, over the weekend. I meant that the trigger had regained its normal 'reassuring' travel. I'll check in the morning, as to whether its still possible to shift without it.

What I did notice in the showroom was that one auto had the very restricted travel, and another moved 'freely' like mine. Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #36103 3rd Feb 2009 12:18 am
xxtrail

For rover60: Finally checked out the 'allowed' selections without pushing the trigger in, and it appears to function just like yours, with no selection of reverse without the trigger held in. Thumbs Up Was GS TD4 Auto, Privacy, Santorini with Tundra & Alpaca, Cold Climate Pack. Traded for Discovery Sport HSE Auto.

Post #36350 5th Feb 2009 11:48 am
rover60

thanks for that Xtrail I thought mine had gone wrong. when I first picked it up I was driving home going down a 3 mile slow decent and with my hand on the stick knocked it in to neutral thats how I know you can move from park to drive to neutral without the button 07my Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Baltic Blue,Privacy Glass,Ebony black leather,Land rover detachable towbar,S/S Side bars,Climair wind deflectors,Bramble Rash,

Post #36370 5th Feb 2009 2:30 pm
OSHANDA

Lastest....

The original diagnosis was simply a broken part in the shifter knob itself. I went in this morning to have the part replaced. After twenty minutes I was told the problem appeared more serious and might required replacement of more major components that would require the car to be left with LR for a day. So it will be back to in the shop in around a week when the new part arrives.

It hasn't affected the driving but it's frustrating.

It's a shame as I've just ticked over 40,000km in the car and it hasn't had a problem until this one.

darren Reflect on the past and plan for the future. But, above all - LIVE FOR THE MOMENT!!!

Post #36552 7th Feb 2009 7:16 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>