Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > 37 and falling
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 16 of 20 <123 ... 151617 181920>
Print this entire topic · 
Volrider

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Firenze Red

Umm my 14 plate XS with 17k miles should be worth something then Very Happy 2014 Freelander 2 XS TD4
Firenze Red

Post #400108 19th Nov 2020 9:34 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Not necessarily referring to FL2 but to cars in general. There will be some interesting deals to be done in the run up to 2030 when sales of pure diesel or petrol cars are banned and manufacturers are offloading and preregistering stock. I guess that only hybrids will be on sale in the late 2020's but the impact on the used car market will be interesting too depending on how quickly EVs drop in price. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #400111 19th Nov 2020 10:31 am
Rebel1

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

From a purely personal point of view an all electric vehicle would be of limited value to me as I tow a fairly heavy caravan so range would be severely limited. In Norfolk there are some public charge points around, but they are still not common. One aspect that doesn't seem to be much discussed is that of refuelling/recharging. If I spend more than five minutes at a pump I consider myself unlucky. Five minutes on a charger is likely to get me a couple of miles. Things need to change radically for me to take it up. Being 75 already, it is unlikely to affect me in the long term.

Post #400113 19th Nov 2020 10:58 am
3landertwo

Could it be our Government are trying to reduce the use of touring 'heavy caravans' in the future ?

Post #400116 19th Nov 2020 11:27 am
Rebel1

Very probably they would want to do that, although the additional duty and vat that they get from the additional fuel used is going to hurt - in fact, the whole fuel duty system will have to be revised. That might make ev use less of a bonus than the current arrangements (no pun intended)

Post #400117 19th Nov 2020 11:42 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

3landertwo wrote:
Could it be our Government are trying to reduce the use of touring 'heavy caravans' in the future ?

maybe Chicken George is now working at the ministry of transport?

Duty in the future will have to be charged on a per-mile basis, not as difficult as it used to be as a lot of newer cars are connected via SIM cards and "they" know where you have been, and at what speed for that matter.

Maybe not a bad idea, insurance could also be on a per mile basis, and if you have several cars it makes sense as you can only drive one at once but currently have to have them taxed all at once.

Personally a Censored idea, it's 40 miles each way to work, I caravan in the UK and Europe for a holiday, and like to go for a drive for no other reason than I like driving and will happily drive 200 miles to pick up something costing £20 because it's a nice way to spend my time. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #400124 19th Nov 2020 1:50 pm
Dartman the one

England 

As most government and EU directives it will be delayed, it's a marketing exercise to prove non existant green credentials Whistle my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #400125 19th Nov 2020 2:14 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Andy131 wrote:
3landertwo wrote:

maybe Chicken George is now working at the ministry of transport?

Duty in the future will have to be charged on a per-mile basis, not as difficult as it used to be as a lot of newer cars are connected via SIM cards and "they" know where you have been, and at what speed for that matter.

Maybe not a bad idea, insurance could also be on a per mile basis, and if you have several cars it makes sense as you can only drive one at once but currently have to have them taxed all at once.

Personally a Censored idea, it's 40 miles each way to work, I caravan in the UK and Europe for a holiday, and like to go for a drive for no other reason than I like driving and will happily drive 200 miles to pick up something costing £20 because it's a nice way to spend my time.

Indeed Thumbs Up
Liking to take our twin axle caravan to south or west coast of France I cant see an EV being up to towing 400+ miles in a day any time soon. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #400141 19th Nov 2020 7:37 pm
Dartman the one

England 

We used to travel to the south of France Med coast but after two or three years we found the area we preferred and the camp sites, travelling from Scotland we found it more enjoyable to drive to Dover take an overnight in either Calais or Dunkerque area, easily achieved on one tank, we then stayed at gastro hotels,(cheap rooms and fabulous food at reasonable prices) not Michelin star pretentious dining. We then stayed on our chosen camp sites we knew we would enjoy, the cost was very similar from Scotland and more enjoyable travel, this may not be the case further south.
Taking electric would involve more stops and a longer time to reach our chosen destination, I suspect the old rail car somewhat updated and similar to the Chunnel system will be the future, driving long distances for pleasure will be in the past, so travel to and rent or the rail car. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis

Post #400146 19th Nov 2020 8:53 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Error my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis

Post #400147 19th Nov 2020 9:08 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

There are some interesting comments here on a practical level eg towing caravans and I suppose this extends to horse boxes and trailers etc it makes me wonder if the long term solution is hydrogen and that the battery EV will be seen in the future as an interim technology. It's becoming clear that HGVs will never be economical if the payload is taken up by batteries so they need to be hydrogen powered and perhaps this will eventually extend down to vans and larger cars. Without an order of magnitude improvement in battery capacity/kg/£ I can't see EV being the universal transport solution. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #400152 20th Nov 2020 10:51 am
Rebel1

Being ever so slightly cynical, I wonder which relatives of the 'powers that be' have interest in battery manufacture and, equally as important, the recycling thereof, because that is going to be huge business in the future.

Post #400154 20th Nov 2020 11:15 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Ironically post 2030,assuming petrol and diesel is still available, it could well be that internal combustion cars will command a premium. I reckon this could be the situation unless ev cars come down in price.
On a slightly different tack - really can't see circa 29 million homes converting to heat source pumps as,allegedly, gas boilers will be phased out. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #400156 20th Nov 2020 11:28 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Rebel1 wrote:
From a purely personal point of view an all electric vehicle would be of limited value to me as I tow a fairly heavy caravan so range would be severely limited. In Norfolk there are some public charge points around, but they are still not common. One aspect that doesn't seem to be much discussed is that of refuelling/recharging. If I spend more than five minutes at a pump I consider myself unlucky. Five minutes on a charger is likely to get me a couple of miles. Things need to change radically for me to take it up. Being 75 already, it is unlikely to affect me in the long term.

Possibly - You need to hide a small petrol electric generator in your caravan, and charge as you travel.

More seriously, if they don't ban older petrol/diesel cars on the roads simultaneously, will they become highly desired valued for certain tasks. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #400157 20th Nov 2020 11:33 am
Dartman the one

England 

The air heat pumps being pushed heavily at the moment are just air con units attached to a heat exchanger, they are unlikely to heat water above 35 deg C and possibly less in winter for a cost of between £9k-£16k installed. You need a certified company to install and get the government grant, this grant or payback is limited in kW depending on the heat pump system and the air heat pump payment is so small that that size installation won't heat the average 3 bed home, so what is the back up system required and fuelled by in mid winter my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis

Post #400171 20th Nov 2020 2:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 16 of 20 <123 ... 151617 181920>