Home > General > Service plans
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Grumpa 2

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Service plans

Hi,
Just bought a GS FL2, 2008 and was wondering if any forum members have taken one of the service plans which are available.
Some offer a service package for an up front payment and some with monthly payments to spread the cost.
Any opinions etc. would be much appreciated.
If this has been covered before please accept my apologies.

Post #34185 6th Jan 2009 11:10 pm
CumbrianCanary

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I took one of these out when I bought mine, mainly due to the misprint on the leaflet. The monthly instalments worked out cheaper than paying a lump sum!! I checked the current cost of the services and it worked out in my favour so I took it up.

Guess it is a case of doing some research before signing up.

Post #34186 6th Jan 2009 11:23 pm
Grumpa 2

CumbrianCanary wrote:
I took one of these out when I bought mine, mainly due to the misprint on the leaflet. The monthly instalments worked out cheaper than paying a lump sum!! I checked the current cost of the services and it worked out in my favour so I took it up.

Guess it is a case of doing some research before signing up.

Thanks for that. I understand there are a couple of companies which do this, one I was offered is called Emak(not sure if thats how its spelt)Also can pay a lump up front to the dealer, which would work out cheaper but in the current economic climate I,m wondering if this is wise.

Post #34206 7th Jan 2009 11:40 am
EdSnow

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

i took out a service plan with Hunters, they actually fronted it in the leaflet, but it is EMAC that run it really. I pay £35 a month to cover three years of servicing (3 services 12 months apart.) I went in for my 1st service last week two months early having already reached 15k. I expected them to ask me to top up my fund but they didnt.

If you want to be sure of coving the costs of the service when it comes round to it I'd go for it. Freelander 2 XS 2.2 TD4 Met Black, with Winter pack, 18" alloys with General Grabber AT2 wellies, MANTEC Sump and Tank Guards

Post #34762 15th Jan 2009 5:07 pm
Grumpa 2

EdSnow wrote:
i took out a service plan with Hunters, they actually fronted it in the leaflet, but it is EMAC that run it really. I pay £35 a month to cover three years of servicing (3 services 12 months apart.) I went in for my 1st service last week two months early having already reached 15k. I expected them to ask me to top up my fund but they didnt.

If you want to be sure of coving the costs of the service when it comes round to it I'd go for it.

Thats one of two companies I had quotes from, can,t remember the name of the other one but both were through LR dealers.
Tried to find out somethig about EMAC on the net but without success.
It,s possible to get a cheaper quote from a dealer, by paying up front, but with the economic climate as it is it could be a bit of a gamble, unless paying by credit card would give some protection.

Post #34770 15th Jan 2009 6:39 pm
EdSnow

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I was informed by LR dealer that I too could pay something up front to reduce the monthly payements but I had nothing left in the pot having shelled out for the car it self. At least if you take up the offer it fixes the service costs now, and your not at risk of them changing putting the service charges up.

I believe EMAC are part of ford finance. They simply act as a bank on behalf of the dealer, look after your money for them until they need it to pay for the service. Freelander 2 XS 2.2 TD4 Met Black, with Winter pack, 18" alloys with General Grabber AT2 wellies, MANTEC Sump and Tank Guards

Post #34771 15th Jan 2009 6:46 pm
Grumpa 2

EdSnow wrote:
I was informed by LR dealer that I too could pay something up front to reduce the monthly payements but I had nothing left in the pot having shelled out for the car it self. At least if you take up the offer it fixes the service costs now, and your not at risk of them changing putting the service charges up.

I believe EMAC are part of ford finance. They simply act as a bank on behalf of the dealer, look after your money for them until they need it to pay for the service.

Sorry, what I meant about paying up front was the full amount ie. the best quote I had for that is £580 for the first two services, hence my concerns about how safe my money would be should the dealer end up in trouble.

Post #34773 15th Jan 2009 6:53 pm
stangs

I don't understand why anyone would use these services in the current climate. The risk is similar to that involved with those Christmas hamper companies, and once they have the cash you can't get it back easily if at all. I've started paying money into a savings account by standing order - also it seems some nwgociating is possible with dealers.

Post #34952 18th Jan 2009 1:21 am
Bibs

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Narvik Black

Totally agree with Stangs. Put your money in your own bank account. The only plans worth doing are Mini and BMW

Post #34958 18th Jan 2009 10:51 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1