Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Which Freelander ? SE or HSE? And some general quesions.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Dorko

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

... better head lights, premium pack s with 19's and full colour bumpers. Also rear audio buttons. (still not sure what they do) but still, better than a giant hole in the back. Folding mirrors? or that the same on both.

Anyway HSE rocks compared to SE. But as i said, its all depends if you can afford the extra luxury Cool

Dorko

Post #34736 15th Jan 2009 1:03 pm
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Dorko wrote:
... better head lights, premium pack s with 19's and full colour bumpers. Also rear audio buttons. (still not sure what they do) but still, better than a giant hole in the back. Folding mirrors? or that the same on both.

Anyway HSE rocks compared to SE. But as i said, its all depends if you can afford the extra luxury Cool

Dorko

I think you folks have differing specs than us in the UK, as the ones I have listed are the only differences iirc. I went through the same quandary when I was choosing, and eventualy went for the HSE.

You can check here:

http://www.landrover.co.uk/gb/en/vehicles/...ations.htm Chris

Post #34739 15th Jan 2009 1:09 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Main difference between a SE and a HSE is the badge on the boot Thumbs Up
H is for higher cosmetic details, higher price, higher enjoyment value and higher status Whistle 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #34748 15th Jan 2009 3:05 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

why do you get a H then? Confused At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #34752 15th Jan 2009 3:17 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

chicken george wrote:
why do you get a H then? Confused

Because I can afford it Laughing 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #34768 15th Jan 2009 6:08 pm
Northern Monkey

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Hi,
Not sure about the SE/HSE dilemma but I added 18" and leather pack to my XS and got the following.

(using ttc546's list as a pointer!)

18" wheels (as opposed to 17") YES
AC air quality sensing (no auto sensing on SE) NO
Carpet mats as standard YES
Puddle lamps YES
Memory and auto dipping exterior mirrors YES
Auto dimming interior mirror NO
Dolby ProLogic Alpine surround sound radio, 6 CD stack, 14 speakers (as opposed to Alpine std radio, single CD, with 9 speakers) NO
Full leather seats YES
Armrests YES
Memory function seats - 3 settings YES

On rrp I saved about 6 ish grand over HSE and in March I got it new for £23.5k (should be about £21.5k new in todays market!!!)

I wanted leather and after much studying decided it was the HSE or XS with leather pack. The SE did not offer enough over the XS (Sat Nav/ sunroof) to justify the £3k in my opinion.

NM Baltic blue XS - Alpaca Leather - 18" HSE wheels.

Post #34769 15th Jan 2009 6:39 pm
Kingy

United Kingdom 

ttc546 wrote:
Only you can decide whether the following additions on the HSE over the SE are worth it to you:

18" wheels (as opposed to 17")
AC air quality sensing (no auto sensing on SE)
Carpet mats as standard
Puddle lamps
Memory and auto dipping exterior mirrors
Auto dimming interior mirror
Dolby ProLogic Alpine surround sound radio, 6 CD stack, 14 speakers (as opposed to Alpine std radio, single CD, with 9 speakers)
Full leather seats
Armrests
Memory function seats - 3 settings

Thanks for that ^^. I'd pretty much realised it was just those differences on UK models. Actually seeing them written down (landrover.co.uk look to purposely make it confusing) reinforces that for me (just mho here) the HSE isn't worth the extra. An SE with an aftermarket centre armrest has everything we would want and more. Plus - badge snobbery is something I'm just not bothered about so that extra 'H' is irellevant. In all honesty I dont even care which make the car is (Freelander2 or BMW X3) as long as it can tow a caravan (thats pretty much the only time I drive our 'car'), has some dealer warranty, is below 20k miles, comes in on budget and can return 40mpg or more on good runs for when my wife is off to Heathrow (airline cabin crew).

Forgetting the dealers I've been unimpressed with for a moment - the only other thing that I'd be concerned about (F2) is that for a new and much improved car, this forum alone has owners reporting a lot of problems. Not significant issues in the main, but quite a few that look to be typical Landrover lack of thought or poor build quality as seen on previous models. Imho 2 years into a cars life it doesnt bode well for a vehicle with so many electrical gadgets that would be dealer fixes out of warranty. Add to that the service costs which look very high compared to other brands (and are a lottery requiring a phone around at the moment looking at threads on here) and I'm beginning to wonder if the F2 is a good long term prospect. Like our current Freelander we will be aiming to keep a new purchase for 8 or 9 years.

I've agreed on an appointment for next Sat to go and test drive an F2 (the dealer phoned me) and in the meantime I plan to go to another Landrover dealer tomorrow with two SE's in stock. I have my cash in the bank and have decided what I'm prepared to pay. I guess we'll see what happens. The only possible stumbling block for buying another Freelander is that as I'm so disgusted with the Landrover dealers thus far I'm hoping to go and test drive a BMW X3 today which fits the bill (and my wifes criteria as it will be her car) perfectly.

Post #34809 16th Jan 2009 9:52 am
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Forums always post the "issues". No one really writes in and says how good their car is - coz that is a given. You will find the same any BMW X3 forum (if one exisits - I don't know). I have had 3 Porsche's, and if you were to look at Boxa.net and caymanclub.net you would think that they had a series of poor reliability, but these are all enthusiasts just talking and represent a minority of the overall ownership. When I had the Audi TT, the TT-Forum reported loads of tech issues, but were generally a minority.

So the lesson here is - don't judge a car/brand by the issues reported on a Forum alone. My FL2 has been faultless after 13k miles so far.

Have to say that Lancaster Landrover in Reading have always provided me with excellent service, so not all dealers are the same.

Whatever you decide, enjoy. Chris

Post #34814 16th Jan 2009 11:06 am
Kingy

United Kingdom 

Thanks Chris. I do appreciate how forums tend to highlight the negatives - but lets be honest - thats what as a prospective buyer you want to know about! I run an active forum of my own with 2000 members so am happy to wade through the threads to find what I'm after.
I'd disagree about people not writing positives about Freelanders as I think many do on this forum. Its very pro-Freelanders as you would expect, which is good to see. For that reason, I'm happy to take the faults/issues/ service prices/ dealer experiences people report on at face value.

Good to hear your F2 has been faultless and thanks for the mention of Lancaster Reading. Very Happy

Thanks to everyone that has given me advice and recommendations on this thread. I'll let folk know how I go on, but I have now made an appointment to test drive a BMW X3 this afternoon with the intention of either dismissing it from our thoughts entirely ... or buying it.

Post #34818 16th Jan 2009 11:58 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I would buy another FL2 if that helps so far its been faultless, My only niggle is the squeak on the gearchange but that should get cured soon Thumbs Up At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #34826 16th Jan 2009 1:35 pm
Kingy

United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
I would buy another FL2 if that helps so far its been faultless, My only niggle is the squeak on the gearchange but that should get cured soon Thumbs Up

Glad its working out well for you CG. Thumbs Up

TBH we've now voted against the very poor attitude we encountered at Landrover dealerships by leaving the brand after nine years of very happy and (compared to many F1 owners) relatively trouble free Freelander ownership. We test drove the X3 this afternoon and despite me having concerns about the ride quality we were both very impressed with the ride and handling. It has all the bits we wanted plus some nice options aswell. We pick our new car up next Wednesday. We'll still be Freelander owners for a short while as the V5 form has been delayed (after putting our plate on retention) so selling the Freelander 1 will have to wait a while.

So, thanks for everyones help in this thread. It has been much appreciated. I still had reservations about buying a Freelander 2 because of the niggly issues/ servicing costs etc, but would most likely have gone ahead anyway. I just couldn't get past the shocking behaviour of the dealers, which as I learnt from this thread is not an isolated incident. If they can't be bothered with a buyer trying to spend cash I just dont feel I could trust them if I were to have a problem - particularly outside warranty.

Post #34860 16th Jan 2009 10:09 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Obviously you have had to make a choice

Make sure the dealers principle is aware of the service and the fact this was a major factor in purchasing a different brand. Naming the sale staff would also help 'their' attitude and hopefully improve the sales staffs attitude

In these times i am sure he will be sat and listening why his/her sales staff lost a sale Rolling Eyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #34862 16th Jan 2009 10:15 pm
Furyan

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Dorko wrote:

Dorko

The "rear audio buttons" are rear audio headset points that allow rear passengers to listen to alternate sources of music compared to the driver.

Post #34873 17th Jan 2009 2:16 am
stangs

Rear audio buttons, 6 CD dash changer and auto-dipping rear view mirror are on my SE. I believe they are standard. I considered the HSE, but am now glad I bought the SE. Done nearly 800 miles - stornoway grey 08 plate auto BTW, it is a fantastic car and was great in the snow we had recently.

As for dealers, I wasn't too impressed with one dealer who was utterly apathetic to my desire to buy a car. 2 months later they rang up saying they might have something; to be told it was too late by my wife as we had one sitting on the drive. The dealer I bought from was hit and miss - I felt I had to do much of the legwork to close the deal. I'm still awaiting the promised car mats...

Post #34943 17th Jan 2009 10:10 pm
dick

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Baltic Blue

Kingy wrote:
chicken george wrote:
I would buy another FL2 if that helps so far its been faultless

Glad its working out well for you CG. Thumbs Up

TBH we've now voted against the very poor attitude we encountered at Landrover dealerships by leaving the brand after nine years ... I just couldn't get past the shocking behaviour of the dealers, which as I learnt from this thread is not an isolated incident. If they can't be bothered with a buyer trying to spend cash I just dont feel I could trust them if I were to have a problem - particularly outside warranty.

I concur with CG about buying another FL2 (in my case not for another couple of years at least Smile )

I would also buy again from Stratstone in Swansea - I've only ever had polite, attentive and friendly dealings with all their staff from the front desk, to the parts and service department and even the salesmen. In fact, their forgetting to reconnect my gear stick after the heater was fixed has been their only copybook blot so far.

- Dick

Post #34966 18th Jan 2009 1:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>