« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Cold Weather in UK
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue
Cold Weather in UK

I don't know how many of you have been following the updates regarding this cold spell we're having in the UK. The latest update being the high pressure currently accross scandanavia and us could bring substantial snow to the whole of the UK should the wind change to a NE direction. I'm not being boring!! Have any of you operated your TD4's in extremely cold conditions without any fuel additives or fuel heaters?? According to the weather forecast the nighttime temperatures could fall below -10, in which case our diesels may not start??!! Shocked

I wish I had a garage now!! Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #33737 30th Dec 2008 6:12 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

You should be OK down to -15 C or so , I've run diesels or years and have not had frozen/waxed fuel for at least 20 years.

Fuel companies tend to only add the antifreeze additives to the fuel in the winter months, so don't use any fuel you may have in a can bought in summer etc At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #33740 30th Dec 2008 7:55 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Its not just the UK that gets cold weather Rolling Eyes
Thought I would let you worry'ers that it has been -8 C here today and after one press on the start the Freely fired up after 6-seconds - so no worries. Thumbs Up
Last winter she started with no problems in minus 15 degrees. Smile 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Last edited by AndyC on 30th Dec 2008 8:28 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #33741 30th Dec 2008 8:02 pm
philsh

Cheers CG. I thought technology must have moved on to account for this. Here's hoping we get loads of snow to check out the GGS mode.

thanks again
Phil Thumbs Up Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #33743 30th Dec 2008 8:07 pm
philsh

AndyC wrote:
Its not just the UK that gets cold weather Rolling Eyes
Thought I would let you worry'ers that it has been -8 C here today and after one press on the start the Frely fired up after 6-seconds - so no worries. Thumbs Up
Last winter she started with no problems in minus 15 degrees. Smile

Yeah it was - 6 here last night and my FL2 fired up okay, albeit a bit clattery (to be expected). Good to hear you've started it ok in -15. I would just hate to have snow to know I can't go out and drive in it due to frozen diesel!! Thumbs Up Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #33744 30th Dec 2008 8:10 pm
Highlandcow

Scotland 
Outside temperature

Just wondering what's the lowest temperature the dashboard will display? I've had it down to -9, but was wondering if it can go to minus double digits.

Post #33761 31st Dec 2008 11:48 am
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey
Re: Outside temperature

Highlandcow wrote:
Just wondering what's the lowest temperature the dashboard will display? I've had it down to -9, but was wondering if it can go to minus double digits.

Had some very cold in the midlands -6 etc but mine only ever shows 0. Big Cry Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #33763 31st Dec 2008 1:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Minus 10 C this morning - one press and after 6-seconds the Freely started as normal Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #33764 31st Dec 2008 1:43 pm
philsh

Re: Outside temperature

Highlandcow wrote:

-24 is showing on this one and judging by the sound of the engine, it is bl Censored dy freezing!! Shocked

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VbUlMu7Dic0 Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #33769 31st Dec 2008 7:01 pm
Lookers Park Royal

Is it me or did he start it before the pre-heat / glow plug light went out...... not surprised it struggled!

Post #33770 31st Dec 2008 7:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
philsh

I agree it didn't sound quite right. Almost as though it was firing up literally cylinder at a time!! Shocked Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #33771 31st Dec 2008 8:33 pm
Nazca Sand Eddie

United Kingdom 

re pre heat glow plugs.

I thought that on my FL2 all the pre heating etc was automatic.

ie, put in the remote, foot on brake, press button. If engine too cold, the starter will automatically be delayed until the glow plugs have done their job, and the starter will operate.

Am I now to understand that in very cold weather, I should look out for a glow plug icon to come on, wait for it to go out, then push the button?

I am off soon down to Spain (warm!), but it will be quite cold in the mornings as we travel over the Pyrennes

Perhaps Charles Hurst, or those of you in the really cold places can correct me.

Post #33773 1st Jan 2009 12:11 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

glow plugs are auto, as said delay in starting whilst car is brought up to temp Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #33774 1st Jan 2009 12:41 pm
Lookers Park Royal

npinks wrote:
glow plugs are auto, as said delay in starting whilst car is brought up to temp

Yes they should be auto, but in the video clip it looked like the light was still on as it cranked.... hence it struggling?

Post #33778 1st Jan 2009 1:18 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I've watched the clip now Embarassed

To me the light goes off and the engine starts to crank, which is what mine does if its cold

What you hear in the clip is a engine struggling to start, from what sounds to be a flat battery, and looks to be as the dash display looks to fail too as well.

Maybe worth insulating the battery if your in a colder climate Question Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #33779 1st Jan 2009 1:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>