« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > New Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 55 of 58 <123 ... 5455 565758>
Print this entire topic · 
j77

Scotland 

Jack frost wrote:
When you can get a new RR sport for the same money you need your head read for going for a Defender Whistle

Get me a RRS for £45k brand new and I’ll buy it Rolling Eyes

I only got the Velar because a deal was done to trade in my pig of a D5 and I didn’t want another. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #396264 28th Aug 2020 2:17 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Had my test drive in one yesterday and i'm amazed how good it was, unlike others who said it was noisy i found it to be the quietist car i've ever been in, my i6 sounded very noisy when i got back into it even though some passenger's thought it was an electric car.
It pulled away nicely even with the stop/start on, flooring the accelerator is almost as good as my i6 Shocked driving position is very good and your right elbow has loads of room Very Happy front seats are very comfy but rear seat passengers said theirs were not so good being flatter.
Handling was impressive for such a large heavy vehicle and ride in the front was smooth but again not so good for rear passengers despite what LR say about the air suspension. Visibility was better than my F2 although the exterior side-mounted gear carriers interferes with the door mirror view.
If i had the money i would differently buy one (why would you want a RR Sport?) Common sense isn't very common.

Post #396404 31st Aug 2020 7:43 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Long article in the Financial Times today about TATA and it's problems in the steel industry but also highlighting the JLR problems of brand competition between LR and Jaguar and confusing overlap of models which made me think about the new Defender and what actually is it's target market? It's certainly not the utility sector as it is too plush and expensive compared with Jap pickups and would you really want to cross Africa without a support team with all that tech on board? OK there is the lucrative Chelsea tractor market but that's already served by other overlapping LR products so a bit confused there.
I have the financial resources to go and buy any car in cash today but the Defender doesn't suit my needs so I won't be looking at it but what do others think? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #396430 1st Sep 2020 9:48 am
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

You are quite correct that farmers etc would not be interested in one, as a Chelsea tractor i can see them selling because they look tougher. Crossing the outback no way, as you say to much to go wrong with a vehicle that hasn't been tested by us Laughing Common sense isn't very common.

Post #396433 1st Sep 2020 10:44 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

axle wrote:
Crossing the outback no way, as you say to much to go wrong with a vehicle that hasn't been tested by us Laughing

Down under in the outback everyone drives Toyotas because there is a hugh network, for all the breakdowns!

Or your typical idiot driver.
Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #396439 1st Sep 2020 1:46 pm
GundogSD4

England 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

We road tested a Defender First Edition a couple of months ago and loved it, why does there need to be a reason or a purpose to buy a car, if you like it buy it and Censored every one else.

Post #396441 1st Sep 2020 2:31 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Sounds like you are the target market then Gundog Very Happy , I hope for JLRs sake that there are plenty out there like you. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #396452 1st Sep 2020 6:20 pm
GundogSD4

Afraid not we only test drove it and could never afford to buy one but the fact remains that we liked it, As you stated in an earlier post "I have the financial resources to go and buy any car for cash today" I would say that puts you firmly onto JLR's sales radar Very Happy

Post #396454 1st Sep 2020 7:28 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Whether you like electronics or not it is the future, the cost of mechanicals will rise expanentionally against electronics, the days of the basic Toyota will decline as the tooling to make locked mechanical diffs and low/high transfer boxes wears out and needs replacing. The chances of a future fix it at the side of the track with a hammer and a socket set vehicle at a cheap price is non existant.
The problem with electronics is software, unfortunately with so much frequency pollution in the air and chances of software corruption is fairly high, perhaps LR's wifi update is the future with constant checking that the program istalled is free of corruption, electronics has generally a mtbf of over seven years except in the case of phones, tablets and laptops and we know why that is, therefore a vehicle should have a fairly trouble free life if the software is maintained. Cheap electrical plugs annd sockets don't help, perhaps fibre optics is a better transmissin system for data on canbus or its successor.
The Toyota Landcruiser and the pickup are heavy poluters in this day and age as supplied to third world countries will shortly be outlawed as are many other vehicles. The roadtax for an imported Fl2 to Cyprus has risen from €280 to over €1000 if imported after thee 1st Jan this year as the government has decided that the island has become the dumping ground for old vehicles for Euro 5 and below, and has penalised diesels more than petrol. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #396455 1st Sep 2020 7:31 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

j77 wrote:
Jack frost wrote:
When you can get a new RR sport for the same money you need your head read for going for a Defender Whistle

I only got the Velar because a deal was done to trade in my pig of a D5 and I didn’t want another.

I honestly thought the Defender was more than 45k, I cant believe there are close on 50 for sale on eBay, cheapest is £53,000 it’s a 240 s

Post #396458 1st Sep 2020 8:58 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

GundogSD4 wrote:
Afraid not we only test drove it and could never afford to buy one but the fact remains that we liked it, As you stated in an earlier post "I have the financial resources to go and buy any car for cash today" I would say that puts you firmly onto JLR's sales radar Very Happy

for some strange reason I think most dealers target market are the 3 year PCP brigade who only drive 3 miles to work and back and then twice a year to the airport for holidays but could could never afford 50k outright.

I buy my cars on HP but I never buy new and up until this year have been a medium to high mileage driver so PCP would never work for me.

Post #396475 2nd Sep 2020 10:23 am
Dartman the one

England 

My brother took out a PCP 4year deal on a top of the range Focus Vignale, 9 months later he was diagnosed with vascular dementia, cost a fortune to get out of it, so it's not for the elderly. Actually he was probably in the early stages when he took it out, chopping in a 1 year old car and paying £7K on top plus £400 odd monthly should have rung warning bells to the salesman, but commission rules all. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #396478 2nd Sep 2020 11:04 am
GundogSD4

Harsh, that salesman wants stringing up.

Post #396482 2nd Sep 2020 2:23 pm
j77

Scotland 

Jack frost wrote:
j77 wrote:
Jack frost wrote:

I only got the Velar because a deal was done to trade in my pig of a D5 and I didn’t want another.

I honestly thought the Defender was more than 45k, I cant believe there are close on 50 for sale on eBay, cheapest is £53,000 it’s a 240 s

The sky’s the limit with the Defender, it will be possible to get nearer 6 figures for the 130. I’m going for the base 90 with D200 engine which keeps the price lower, some guys I’ve seen spending £70k on the Defender. Main reason for me going for the Defender it will be a bit less precious than the Velar and more like my D3, more like what I’m used to.

And for anyone interested the 90 and Hardtop models are starting their dealer tour this month, book your 1 hour slot on the LR website. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #396500 2nd Sep 2020 9:07 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

RogB wrote:
GundogSD4 wrote:

for some strange reason I think most dealers target market are the 3 year PCP brigade who only drive 3 miles to work and back and then twice a year to the airport for holidays but could could never afford 50k outright.

I buy my cars on HP but I never buy new and up until this year have been a medium to high mileage driver so PCP would never work for me.

Im in the same position, 20k + miles per year doesnt really suit PCP and I hate the fact that the car is never your own, cant make any modifications etc. I would consider one if my mileage was lower with the intention of buying the car after the initial PCP rental was over as I tend to hold onto my cars a lot longer than 3 years. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #396514 3rd Sep 2020 7:51 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 55 of 58 <123 ... 5455 565758>