« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > New Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 35 of 58 <123 ... 343536 ... 565758>
Print this entire topic · 
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

j77 wrote:
It's not just the back door they get nicked from, D3/4 owners get them nicked often. It won't keep me up at night though.

Just goes to show how forward thinging the Freelander design is sticking the wheel inside!

Then I put one on the roof! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #374533 3rd Jul 2019 9:45 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I wonder if the British Army has ordered any new Defenders yet? If they are on the ball JLR should be in discussion with Coastguard, RNLI, Police, Highways Agency etc to get some visibility 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #374551 4th Jul 2019 10:28 am
j77

Scotland 

Highways Agency have just taken a fleet of Disco 5s 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #374556 4th Jul 2019 11:08 am
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

I think it is is very unlikely that the military will buy the new Defender in large numbers as the old Defender ended up being too small for most operational areas as the amount of kit that is carried/needed is now beyond what a Defender can comfortably hold. It might find a home on an airfield or 2nd line use but combat use will be limited to recce or similar use I think. Squaddies now (rightly so) need to have seating with proper restraints and some protection from small arms fire and IED`s which was something that the old Defender did not do very well. Even the modified Snatch was intended for a much different role when it was built. As for visibility I expect to see Harry and Megan in one of the 1st ones to hit the road! Whistle

Post #374562 4th Jul 2019 11:39 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

dorsetfreelander wrote:
I wonder if the British Army has ordered any new Defenders yet? If they are on the ball JLR should be in discussion with Coastguard, RNLI, Police, Highways Agency etc to get some visibility

The last of the defenders used by the Forces is the Wolf which is based on the 300TDi unit... we loved them when we first took delivery. Power steering, Turbo, better seats, faster and more powerful than the outgoing Defender N/A heap of junk.

But the everlasting thing with them was that they could be repaired easily in the middle of a wood/desert/swamp/workshop with mostly basic tools.

With the advent of all the other vehicles used by the forces now that were introduced during the Afghan campaign there is a multitude of complex, electronically managed varieties of beasts they use, and I believe a large number of contractors working around the world to support them.

the difference was that the Wolf defenders are nearly all HD axles which are non standard.... can the new Defender be rigged up with HD axles, 24V, and other systems to meet the requirements that the old Defender used to do ?.... somehow I doubt it.

Post #374566 4th Jul 2019 11:47 am
dondiddy

The Wolf fleet as I understand was leased from Lex Leasing and most were serviced /repaired by civilian contractors as part of the lease deal due to a value for money requirement that had to ensure that warranty claims were presented for failed parts something the MOD was previously very poor at doing. The vehicles also had a paint guarantee which was why in the first few years they all still had their original Nato Green paint and hadn`t been brush painted every year as previously used to happen to the green fleet.

Post #374568 4th Jul 2019 12:06 pm
j77

Scotland 

Goodwood Festival of Speed

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #374569 4th Jul 2019 12:08 pm
dondiddy

Looking at some of the specs previously posted it looks like a good few of the new Defenders will be able to outrun a lot of so called hot hatches! Slow they certainly ain`t! Thumbs Up

Post #374570 4th Jul 2019 12:12 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

dondiddy wrote:
The Wolf fleet as I understand was leased from Lex Leasing and most were serviced /repaired by civilian contractors as part of the lease deal due to a value for money requirement that had to ensure that warranty claims were presented for failed parts something the MOD was previously very poor at doing. The vehicles also had a paint guarantee which was why in the first few years they all still had their original Nato Green paint and hadn`t been brush painted every year as previously used to happen to the green fleet.

its been a while but IIRC your bang on the money there... they were introduced about 1997 (I left in 2000) and I was one of the first to take them outside the UK, we had an old N/A defender with all the sitcom kit and brand new Wolf GS to work out the back of and to use for people transport. They were an awesome bit of kit compared to what we were used to, 90MPH on the autobahn Very Happy
A lot were wrecked in the first few months due to people not being used to the higher centre of gravity,the extra power and the power steering. Many were rolled.

Still think the forces should have a fleet of the new defender though and release all the Wolf to us civvies Whistle

Post #374573 4th Jul 2019 12:46 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

j77 wrote:
Goodwood Festival of Speed

MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #374587 4th Jul 2019 4:13 pm
j77

Scotland 

That 90 looks Cool

Here’s the 110, which looks Cool

21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #374594 4th Jul 2019 6:10 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

OK it's been to Africa and it's done a million miles of testing etc BUT, have they tried lending one to Prince Phillip? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #374595 4th Jul 2019 6:47 pm
dondiddy

Boxbrownie wrote:
Used to love going over the channel on the Sealink hover.......best time was just before that have to stop because of bad weather, it was like a fairground ride...... Rolling with laughter

Main thing I remember from the journeys was all the screws and trim in the cabin rattling and buzzing all the way.......

Just watched a program on Nat Geo about the last 2 SRN 4 Hovercraft that did the channel crossing until withdrawn from service in 2000. They were the Princess Anne and the Princess Margaret. The Anne was to be restored as a Museum display and the Margaret was being broken up with some bits being used to help restore the Anne and the rest of it being sold for scrap. The program showed how the technology worked and how they were designed and built and I thought it was very interesting. However it was a bit sad to see the Margaret hovercraft being ripped apart with an excavator with a claw bucket! Big Cry

Post #374610 4th Jul 2019 10:43 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

What a sad ending to yet another great British invention...... Sad Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #374655 5th Jul 2019 9:32 pm
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Wonder if JLR be as keen to “Leak” this picture of the Defender.......🤔

MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)