« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Amazon Fire Stick
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Amazon Fire Stick

Can't understand why I didn't get one sooner! £40 for brand new model released today with improved performance apparently and Alexa voice remote which works perfectly.

I'm a Prime customer anyway and it came registered to my account with my watch list already there and £2 credit on the movie account. Liking the apps and easy YouTube access too.

Glad I purchased Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #320890 6th Apr 2017 8:33 pm
mcsimmo

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

I bought one a couple of months ago, and with the help of the internet installed Kodi on it which was very easy to do even for a non techie like me.

If you think your Firestick is good now, wait until you put Kodi on. Plenty of help out there on the net. Updated- Waiting for a Scotland v England 6 Nations home win. 24th Feb 2018
Gone-1972 88 SWB Soft top
Gone-1981 24v FFR Lightweight
Gone-2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual
Gone before it bankrupted me- 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto

Post #320902 7th Apr 2017 7:35 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Make sure you use the Krypton version (17.1) as Jarvis (version 16) is being phased out. I find Wookie Lite is a good build that works well on the sticks (I have Beast build on my fire TV box). Oh, and dont forget Mobdro for your live sports. Thumbs Up Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #320905 7th Apr 2017 7:46 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Enjoying this Kodi business Thumbs Up Finally watching Gotham season 3 which I either missed on normal TV or it wasn't on there this time!

I am planning on watching the critically acclaimed House with Hugh Laurie. Fairly old series now but one I missed and it keeps getting recommended. Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #321045 8th Apr 2017 10:45 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Did you go for a build or just running Exodus and UK Turks? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #321048 9th Apr 2017 8:01 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

We only have terrestrial Freeview and only get about 10 channels (we are in a valley on a Freeview relay so don't get the full works) which is usually enough. What we do find is that if we visit someone with Sky or any of the other services like Netflix etc we spend so much time scanning the channels to find something worth watching that we don't actually watch anything. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #321051 9th Apr 2017 9:18 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Steve D wrote:
Did you go for a build or just running Exodus and UK Turks?

I'm using Exodus but when I followed the tutorial it said to add something called Fusion. I did that and I get Exodus and some other bits.

Watched episode 1 of House yesterday and enjoyed it but needed to adjust the timing of the audio as the lip sync was slightly out. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #321055 9th Apr 2017 11:26 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I sometimes get that. Can you adjust the audio timing to get the lip synch right?

Ignore that - I've just Googled it. Didn't even know about that! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #321061 9th Apr 2017 1:39 pm
Still Lost in France

France 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

dorsetfreelander wrote:
We only have terrestrial Freeview and only get about 10 channels (we are in a valley on a Freeview relay so don't get the full works) which is usually enough. What we do find is that if we visit someone with Sky or any of the other services like Netflix etc we spend so much time scanning the channels to find something worth watching that we don't actually watch anything.

Netflix, Sky (in the form of NowTV) and Amazon Prime are broadband services so you should be able to view them even with a bad terrestrial signal.

Having said that, I have access to all 3, and can rarely find anything decent to watch on any of them.

Post #321063 9th Apr 2017 2:36 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I was reading an article online that suggested using IP Vanish or similar at £x per month to avoid streaming activity being spied on and risking copyright letters landing on your door mat.

I do wonder if the guy is on commission for these IP sites! Apparently a ruling from the ECJ is awaited on the legality of streaming. Trading standards over here take the view of the European Commission in that streaming is legal.

So it's a grey area for now! LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #321068 9th Apr 2017 8:30 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Yeah. Reading up on the 'grey area' , apparently if you stream it and watch it online directly instead of downloading it and then watching it, there's no real law you can be charged under. That'll do for me!

Doc, If you install a 'build', it automatically comes on when you open kodi. Wookie Lite for Krypton is a good one for the firestick. Nice looking interface too. You'll find Exodus on there, plus UK Turks, plus SALTS and many, many more. Plenty of ways to do it online, here's one quick way of doing it.

Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #321070 9th Apr 2017 8:59 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I'll take a look Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #321077 9th Apr 2017 10:16 pm
mcsimmo

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

I watched House from episode 1 through to the last one. By and large an excellent series. It went off a bit with some pointless story lines but dont let that put you off as it came back to power by the rather excellent end. Hugh Laurie is excellent. Updated- Waiting for a Scotland v England 6 Nations home win. 24th Feb 2018
Gone-1972 88 SWB Soft top
Gone-1981 24v FFR Lightweight
Gone-2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual
Gone before it bankrupted me- 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto

Post #321093 10th Apr 2017 7:55 am
paxman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

Steve D wrote:
Make sure you use the Krypton version (17.1) as Jarvis (version 16) is being phased out. I find Wookie Lite is a good build that works well on the sticks (I have Beast build on my fire TV box). Oh, and dont forget Mobdro for your live sports. Thumbs Up

I have Javis in the Firestick since last December, looking to update to Krypton but it seems the way to go is to uninstall Javis then install Krypton. Do you know other way?

Post #321095 10th Apr 2017 8:48 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I had Jarvis on my box with Beast build but kept getting warnings that a lot of stuff won't be supported for Jarvis and telling me to update. I think you can 'upgrade' it by just installing it over Jarvis (can't do it if you have a build installed) but for what it takes I just restored the box to factory settings, signed up under a different Amazon account and installed Kodi Krypton 17.1 plus the latest Beast build. Doesn't take long and I'm a complete numpty at computer things.

Beast takes a bit longer than Wookie Lite because you have to sign up to it (free) but it's a bit of a faff. I wouldn't try to put Beast on a stick though as it's quite a large programme. There are other builds out there but I just stick to the two that I'm familiar with.

I've got Kodi 17.1 plus Wookie Lite on my fire stick and my £40 fire tablet and they both work well. Thumbs Up Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Last edited by Steve D on 10th Apr 2017 2:47 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #321108 10th Apr 2017 11:31 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>