« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Superchips Bluefin
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
tonyjones1968

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Narvik Black
Superchips Bluefin

I have just orderd a Bluefin power upgrade unit, I will let you all know when it lands and what the outcome is of uploading this to my freelander 2(td4).
I would like to ask everyone what upgrade system they have used,if any and if you have had any problems,performance gain and fuel saving they have had,also I am interested if anyone else has done the bluefin tuning way? Thumbs Up

many thanks Tony xxx

Post #31398 20th Nov 2008 7:27 pm
phil_wkl

Australia 

There are some on here. Will be interested to hear your results. Phil

Post #31438 21st Nov 2008 12:45 pm
adrian_fl2

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Tonga Green

I'd also be very interested in the results both for performance and economy.

thanks Freelander 2 TD4 HSE auto Tonga Green/Alpaca

Post #31477 21st Nov 2008 8:10 pm
tonyjones1968

Well, its done!! The unit landed today by city link express parcel delivery,so quick delivery anyway.
the box includes the "bluefin" unit with a 16 pin dlc connector and a USB lead to connect to your pc,also a cd rom to install on your pc too!after reading the instuctions fully I popped out to the car,connected the unit to the dlc socket( just above throttle pedal )and the unit turned on,you confirm that the ignition is off and the unit tells you to turn ignition on,(press and hold start button but dont depress clutch)the unit then downloads the original engine software on the "bluefin"unit,it then tells you to switch the ignition off and disconnect the unit,which it total takes about 10 mins,then you load the cd rom on to your pc and connect the"bluefin"unit to your pc,the pc program asked for my personal detals(name & address etc)and downloaded the original software map to "superchips hq"the return email that my updated "bluefin"map is ready to upload took less than five mins to come back,so you upload this to the "bluefin" unit,disconnect the unit from the pc and wander back to the car,in the same way as before the unit uploads the new software to the car,the unit then checks all ok and then prompts you to turn of the ignition and remove unit from the car.
so not quite plug and play as they say but not far off!!
so far i have only driven the car with the "bluefin"upgrade round the block just to make sure it works and i will say the differance is very apparent!the car is much smoother on pick up and in third gear has much more thrust from 1800 rpm than before!!
I will be taking the car to work tommorow as normal and will report the findings on economy and power etc in due course,time will tell if any thing falls off or smashes .
The kit is expensive but is oily hands free!!and so far I am impressed by the extra power it seems to have given the old girl but as i said time will tell!!!!!!

I will keep you all posted! Thumbs Up

Post #31481 21st Nov 2008 9:10 pm
MVS

Question Can you revert to the LR factory map when the car is taken back for service & warranty work, or does it add a download no. to the ECU log, therefore voiding your warranty as per the recent memo going round LR dealers stating the factory will not honor warranties on chipped vehicles?

Post #31486 21st Nov 2008 10:01 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

How much was the unit if you don't mind me asking Question

Post #31487 21st Nov 2008 10:02 pm
MVS

500 notes, well 499 Wink

see here http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/apps.php?model=...p;return=1

Post #31488 21st Nov 2008 10:10 pm
tonyjones1968

The answers to some questions asked.
The "bluefin" unit cost £499 all in( postage& vat)
The unit also keeps your own original map so the two maps can be changed from one to another at any time you wish,im not sure if the ecu records uploads /dates but un swapped the diag machine at landrover would detect errors ,so you would need to swap the map back to the original before it went in!!

Tony

Post #31489 21st Nov 2008 10:12 pm
tonyjones1968

I have had a TDI Tuning box on my wifes Audi A4 avant for over 25000 mls (since new) and i do take it off when it go,s in for service,and it will set the mil lamp off once a month with a P0118 fault code,which i reset with my own eobd code reader,no problems yet? but it has needed the audio/cd replaced as it stopped playing cds,but i doubt it caused that,it smokes a little more that normal but its due to the crude way it adds more fuel (by tricking the ecu into adding more fuel as it thinks the fuel return is much colder than it is,thus adding more injection time in milliseconds) the "bluefin" has not made the Landrover smoke any more than normal,(as seen in the rear view mirror in others headlights)but i will follow my wife as she drives the landrover and i follow to check!!!

TONY

Post #31490 21st Nov 2008 10:29 pm
ctl11

United States 

So you lose some fuel economy with the updated map?

Post #31491 21st Nov 2008 10:32 pm
tonyjones1968

Dont know yet,will keep you all posted but i get about 28 mpg as i mostly do town/city driving,but get 36 on a run,but down to 23mpg when towing!!
The landrover has been much better on fuel since landy took out the supp heater fuse!!!!but its only just got up to norm enging temp as i get to work now ,so wish i had heated seats !!! but they would have the same effect too as it takes power to run them!!!best get my gloves out soon!!!

Tony

Post #31492 21st Nov 2008 10:40 pm
nickkuts

Bulgaria 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Nazca Sand

tonyjones1968 wrote:
Dont know yet,will keep you all posted but i get about 28 mpg as i mostly do town/city driving,but get 36 on a run,but down to 23mpg when towing!!
The Land Rover has been much better on fuel since landy took out the supp heater fuse!!!!but its only just got up to norm enging temp as i get to work now ,so wish i had heated seats !!! but they would have the same effect too as it takes power to run them!!!best get my gloves out soon!!!

Tony

What has the supp heater fuse to do with fuel economy?.....

Regards
N.K.

Post #31502 22nd Nov 2008 9:07 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Nothing is free , the heater uses energy which can only come from the fuel, the heater does cut out though once the engine has reached operating temp, so it will only affect economy during the warm up period. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #31503 22nd Nov 2008 9:24 am
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

How does an electric heater use fuel Wink Question

Post #31507 22nd Nov 2008 3:01 pm
tonyjones1968

All the vehical electrics require power or current,which when the engine is running is supplied by the alternater,the more load on the alternater to provide this power,(current)the more power is taken from the engine to pull it round to make this power thus needing to use more fuel .the less load on the engine the less fuel it requires!!!

The electricity you use at home is not free ? fuels are burnt to make that too!! the more you use the more you pay!!!

The slower you drive and the less toys you use more economical your car will be!!!!

oh bless,the physics lesson endeth.

Tony

Post #31508 22nd Nov 2008 3:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>