Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Osram Night Breaker vs Philips X-treme Power Xenon bulbs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Alona

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Did you get them all? 08 FL2 SE TD4 manual,Santorini Black, Factory fitted Black Tinted Glass, Anti-Tesco Trolly Side Protection, bebe confort axiss carseats & Cargo barrier to stop twin's buggy & junk coming through. NO Sweets Crisps or Drinks inside.
WITH TWINS, YOU DON'T HAVE MONEY Smile Now towing a Abbey Vouge 650 1800kg

Tug weight 1958kg + Roofrails & Towbar

Post #30755 11th Nov 2008 4:36 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

no its just a list of what bulbs are what Laughing

I'll be seeing her tomorrow and put my order in Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #30757 11th Nov 2008 4:42 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

For all you monery grabbers, autobulbsdirect have a 10% off promotion in November with the code "novten"

Post #30925 13th Nov 2008 1:11 am
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Just experienced a headlamp failure before a 250 mile night drive so my hand was forced to make a bulb change. I normally carry an emergency box in the car which includes spare bulbs and a few tools, unfortunately I had not got around to putting it back in the car (having removed it before service a few days ago).

So I was forced to find a local solution, using TomTom I found a nearby Halfrauds. I decided to try a pair of thier +90% H7 bulbs, (also had to buy a cheapo tool set to get the necessary 10mm socket needed to remove the headlamp units). Was back on the road having change both dipped beam bulbs in less than 30 minutes.

The bulbs are a clear improvment on the standard bulbs and the +50% bulbs I had previously fitted, though I can't make a comparison with other 'improved' output bulbs. However, given that I was forced by circumstances to make this change, then what I can say is that the additional cost of the +90% bulbs over a standard replacement bulbs is certainly worth it. A pair of standard bulbs was £12, the pair of +90% I bought cost £24. so the extra headlamp performance has cost £12 (they only had standard bulbs in twin packs at £12, the +90% are £24 each but buy one get one free - is this a ploy to steer folks toward the high performance bulbs ?) anyhow measured in this way the improved performance is certainly worth it.

Just have to think about making the change to the mains. Previously the mains always added a noticable amount of light, but now the dipped are kicking out more light then the mains don't seem to add quite as much as they used to. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #30934 13th Nov 2008 9:52 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Order my bulbs last week, just waiting for them to come in

£3.50 each for Ring Xenon plus 60% brighter ones, decided against the Xenon Max 90%'er as the review wasn't the best and the cost was £5 each, which shows what the mark up is on these at retail level Rolling Eyes

Wheres the best place for the side light lamps that look white instead of yellow? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #31344 19th Nov 2008 5:00 pm
christian138

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

npinks wrote:
Order my bulbs last week, just waiting for them to come in

Wheres the best place for the side light lamps that look white instead of yellow?

So presumably off the back of the same lorry as the H7s Rolling with laughter 

Post #31346 19th Nov 2008 6:07 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Embarassed didn't even think to look at rings brochure for the side lights Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #31348 19th Nov 2008 7:29 pm
christian138

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

You can trust me to point out the obvious..........

.....anything else is just beyond my competance Razz 

Post #31352 19th Nov 2008 8:06 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

put in my Ring Xenon plus yesterday, from the little bit of night driving i have done they seem alot better Very Happy Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #31564 23rd Nov 2008 11:23 pm
ad210358

England 

avtur wrote:
I've had Halfrauds Super Brilliance fitted for about a year, they are quoted as + 50%, they are noticably brighter than the standard bulb. However one has just failed (so re-fitted one of the originals for now).

Halfrauds now have Extreme Brillaince (which are + 90%) so may give them a try.

Halfrauds seem to have a permenant buy one get one free offer on headlamp bulbs, the +50's are £19.95 pair and the +90's are £23.95 pair.

Can't see them (no pun intended!) being too much different to the Osram/Philips, probably made by one of them anyway !

After being a little dissapointed with the vision with the Freelander 2 headlights I have fitted the Halfrauds Extreme Brilliance today, I have been out tonight to see If there is any difference and yes I can see a lot better, they seem to have a wder spread of light and every thing is much clearer and brighter, well worth it. After reading other posts I will just haver to see how long they last. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #32668 7th Dec 2008 8:40 pm
Frobius

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

I see halfords do a blue tint version of the +50% ones. Anyone tried them or is it best to just stick with the +90%s? 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #32856 11th Dec 2008 6:45 pm
Frobius

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

Well at long last I stumped up for the Philips X-treme power bulbs. At first I thought that tey were no better or in fact a bit worse than my old factory fit bulbs. But I realised that of course they could be worse - I had just had both headlamp units out and on my garage floor and unless the hand of God got involved, there's no way I'd have put them back in exactly (to the millimetre) where they were originally, thus the alignment would be out.

Quick trip to Marshall's in Bedford to get them to re-align the lights a bit higher worked a treat. These bulbs claim to be 80% better than normal ones and while I can't tell if it's 80% or not, I can say that they are a great deal better. They are liekly the closest things I am going to get to proper Bi-Xenons, without either retro fitting some (when someone figures out how to) or doing a mod job with those aftermarket HID bulbs. To be honest, I can't see the aftermarket HID conversions being any better than these. Not for the price difference too.

So in summary? Go buy yourself some of these bulbs and get your dealer to re-align your lights. Cracking! Thumbs Up 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #34677 14th Jan 2009 5:58 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Mine seemed to self-align , maybe I was just lucky. The article in auto express did say that brighter bulbs were generally a waste of cash unless you had your lights re-aligned At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #34689 14th Jan 2009 8:06 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

My headlamp units have been removed (by me) several times. Before removing them for the first time I considered how I was going to reposition them accurately. I saw that there very clear indentations in the mounts on the headlamp housing caused by the two 10mm bolts which cesure to top of the unit.

With care it is possible to realign the bolts with the indenatations in the mounts with a great deal of accuracy. As with other apsects of the car I am completely anal about headlamp adjustment and can't accept even the slightest inaccuracy in alignment. This method of maintaining alignment has worked very well for me

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

If you can't see the indentation in the plastic mount then a dab of white paint or tipex on the edge of the 10mm bolts would also help relocate to the original position. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #34696 14th Jan 2009 10:15 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i just took them out, replaced the bulb and put them back in

The bottom of the light unit, has tracks to follow, the top bolts just retain them

There should be no need to realign them Question Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #34699 14th Jan 2009 10:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>