Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Shoudl I get a Freelander?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
wdw

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue
Shoudl I get a Freelander?

Been lurking for a couple of weeks.

Having retired, I need a second car so that I can pursue my hobby of bird photography without depriving my wife of the family car. Ironically all the while I was working we have survived on a single car since I could walk to work - I think that must give me 40 years' worth of carbon credits!

So although I don't see myself doing serious off-roading, I'd like the opportunity to get off the tarmac on occasions. My head tells me that I'd be better off going for some lesser soft-roader, but my heart says Freelander (though my only experience of any sort of Land Rover is as a passenger in some pretty basic farm type models many moons ago).

I hesitate to say this but I don't really care much about fancy modifications (I wouldn't bother changing to clear side indicators, for instance). What I want is a car that will start when I ask it to and will not stop until I want it to. References to monthly warranty service visits don't inspire much confidence.

Is this the place to get reassurance or otherwise, please?

Bill

Post #29034 13th Oct 2008 8:10 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Hi Bill

Welcome to the forum

I think you would be very happy with a FL2, there are some great bargains out there at the moment for new and especially 2nd hand.

As you say you don't have to change anything on the car, (the news ones come with clear indicators) Laughing

Don't be diswayed by monthly warranty claims, ( was it me who said that?) I have a early production car and I have a very high expectation for things been correct and like pestering dealers to be honest i reckon most people don't have any problems worth taking the car to the dealers until the car is requiring a service and even more are happy day to day without even setting foot on to this forum Thumbs Up

Unless you have any requirements the standard "S" model will see you though any off roading you do, but the GS is the best entry spec with it having the Traction control unit

I hope my 2p worth helps

Nick Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #29035 13th Oct 2008 8:26 pm
wdw

Thanks, Nick. That's encouraging.

Bill

I should have added I was thinking of the GS, not least because I don't think I could now live without cruise control and long before I leave the tarmac I have to get to where the birds are which in many cases is a not inconsiderable distance from Reading.

Bill

Post #29036 13th Oct 2008 8:29 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Mine seems very reliable so far 6000miles on the clock

oh and if you get one with clear indicators you can buy my old orange ones Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #29039 13th Oct 2008 8:38 pm
Dougden

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Hi Bill,

There are some of us on here that cover higher mileage than others and as one of the harder taskmasters, I can honestly say that I have never owned any car that has been such a willing workhorse/plaything. 15k covered in 5 months and only a couple of very minor grumbles.

Unless you are looking for lots of extra toys, the GS will suit you fine. Add the roof though, I think it is a nice feature and you can stay in the car and watch the birds from the comfort of your seat.

Good luck. FL2 TD4 XS Santorini

Post #29040 13th Oct 2008 8:39 pm
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

Hi Bill,

I've had my FL2 for about a month now, but we've had one in the family since they came out. Reasonable running costs, combined with a strong image, great to drive, with king of the road driver appeal and it has the capability when mother nature turns against you or you stray off the tarmac.

Go for it!

Phil Thumbs Up Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #29041 13th Oct 2008 8:40 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

38000 and no real worries a lot more reliable than any other car I have had (except my MX-5)

Post #29042 13th Oct 2008 8:41 pm
upnaway

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Baltic Blue

Hi Bill, Can only speak as you find, well over 30k miles now and only trip to dealers for warranty was for a blown fuse in the fag lighter. Then I only called in as passing and I wanted car washed to go to a wedding. On specs, I believe the SE to be best balance of goodies to cost. Bird song really floats in through that open sun roof and the sat nav works off road.
I still smile everytime I go for a journey in Freeda still pining for my 3dr, no removeable hardtop, no drop glass tailgate, no roof rack, no pockets everywhere to stow all that man kit

Post #29044 13th Oct 2008 8:45 pm
wdw

Thanks, guys.

Incidentally cars are frequently used as mobile hides to watch or photograph birds or other wildlife, but not through the sunroof. Most UK birds seem to be spooked by the outline of a human, and sticking your head through the roof is not recommended. But shooting from the driver's seat would certainly benefit from the high driving position.

Bill

Post #29047 13th Oct 2008 9:18 pm
Podcast

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

I really pleased with my 07 XS which was £18k with 9600miles on the clock. Basingstoke have plenty of FL2's in stock (was in there today) & I'd really recommend 2nd hand - no need for your pension to go on needless depreciation! Thumbs Up

Post #29050 13th Oct 2008 9:36 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi Bill,

I have one of the earliest cars, a Jan 07 GS and have just clocked 44000miles, its the best car I've had in 36 years. There is still a great smile factor every time I get behind the wheel. My car has been well used, traveling the UK for work, towing my caravan, playing off road and sometimes just driving it for the sake of driving (because its fun). The car has never let me down, although I've had one or two issues with faults, my issues are more to do with the treatment by the dealer than the problems themselves.

Certainly in todays climate there are some good priced deals out there which has to be a good start, then when you get onto running cost these beasts can be quite economical, perhaps servicing costs a bit more than a Ford Fiesta but so be it. Take a test drive you'll enjoy it, take you camera and take a few trial pictures !! Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #29054 13th Oct 2008 9:51 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

if your using the car as a hide, you could look into the Land Rover Day tents

and the rear is quite large when the seats are folder flat so you have plenty of room to set up a small tripod and camera Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #29055 13th Oct 2008 9:57 pm
wdw

Thanks again guys. You are certainly making a good case.

Thanks for the Basingstoke tip, Podcast. I'll put a request on the Dealership forum for comments on the local options.

Bill

Post #29078 14th Oct 2008 1:03 am
Lookers Park Royal

Bill,

If your search locally doesn't allow you to uncover the right vehicle then we are happy to help, and are not too far away (takes me 45mins to Mortimer).

If you would like to have a try a Freelander 2 off road before making your decision then drop me a line at jamestayler@charleshurstgroup.co.uk with your contact details.

Expanding on Podcasts comment, we have in our stock an 07 plate XS Auto at £17900, 3x 07 plate SE Auto's at £18900. I've had a look in Land Rover's stock and there are a few XS manuals available which are later 57 plates. We tend to stock more Auto than Manual being on the outskirts of West London.

The Freelander 2 is a fantastic car, and I honestly have to say that since launch it has been one of the least problematic vehicles that I have been involved in during my 10 years with LR and 8 years with Audi prior to that.

James Thumbs Up

Post #29089 14th Oct 2008 8:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Charles Hurst Park Royal wrote:
Bill,

If you would like to have a try a Freelander 2 off road before making your decision then drop me a line at jamestayler@charleshurstgroup.co.uk with your contact details.

Thumbs Up

plenty of LRE days for 'brand new customers only' then Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #29090 14th Oct 2008 9:19 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>