Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
l200lee

United Kingdom 
Buying an FL2

Afternoon all,

this is my first post so go easy Wink

Im looking at the option of buying a Freelander 2. I wanted a Disco 3 but my budget wont allow it (im going through finance and the D3 doesn't match the criteria for me) so i have had a look at Freelander 2's.

I have seen a few posts regarding MPG, is it really quite bad? book figures are quite good aren't they?

Reliability? i would be using it to get to work around 30 miles each way daily and the odd trip over the weekend.

any particular models to look for? i have seen a few Aspen models for sale, are they a good version?

Thanks in advance for any replies Very Happy Very Happy

Post #293724 15th Mar 2016 2:08 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

depends on what your budget is really, early TD4 (pre 2010) are 160bhp with no DPF, TD4 2011> are 150bhp with DPF and SD4 2011> are 190bhp with DPF. Obviously you also have auto and manual options.

TD4 Auto you can expect around mid 30's mpg, manual expect high 30's into low 40's. The SD4 engines give similar or slightly better. Just remember its a 2 ton permanent 4x4 so will never be as good as a car for mpg or handling.

I drive mine (2010 HSE Auto) to work on country roads/A1 every day commuting about 65miles round trip. 1 tank of fuel with gentle driving lasts me about 7-8 days worth. So far in 3 months/6000 miles its not skipped a beat.

there are commonly occurring issues, which isn't to say you will get them but they are to be aware of. Choose carefully, preferably with full LR history and you wont go far wrong, they are awesome cars to own as they tick so many boxes and are so versatile

Aspen model from what ive heard is the same as Sport LE or Dynamic, in that it comes with a factory body kit fitted. Easiest way to tell is if it has a full width section under the intake grill on the front bumper.

Just go for the highest spec you can find in your budget. Im on my 3rd FL2 now, and its my first HSE premium. All the toys and I love it.

good hunting Thumbs Up

Post #293735 15th Mar 2016 3:27 pm
mostyn128

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Other thing to add to above is that pre-2011MY versions had an inlet manifold with swirl-flaps. Higher milers (>70k miles) have had issues in past with parts of the swirl flaps breaking off and being ingested into cylinder .... not good. Post -2011MY have no swirl flaps in inlet manifold so no issues there.

Alternatively if you get an older one simply replace the inlet manifold for a non-swirl flap version (Part no. 96 594 494 80 or LR 019 987)and risk resolved (I replaced mine on 07MY) !

One thing is for sure, FL2 has a great following, I'm confident you'll love it ! And this forum offers a huge amount of experience, advice, help and humour ! Smile

Post #293743 15th Mar 2016 4:45 pm
l200lee

United Kingdom 

Thanks guys,

Im currently looking at a tidy FL2 td4e xs
hopefully will get an answer tomorrow form the finance company and if they are willing to take my van as a PX against it.

Will keep you updated

and most probably annoy you with questions Rolling with laughter

Post #293763 15th Mar 2016 8:26 pm
l200lee

United Kingdom 

Re inlet manifolds:
im looking at an MY10 model, 60 plate, with 80k on the clock. should i replace it pretty soon just to avoid the possibility?
I'll look through the service folder for any record of it being done just in-case. Is it quite a common failure?

Any other niggles that i should keep an eye out for?

Post #293834 16th Mar 2016 2:17 pm
ianfish

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

l200lee wrote:
Thanks guys,

Im currently looking at a tidy FL2 td4e xs
hopefully will get an answer tomorrow form the finance company and if they are willing to take my van as a PX against it.

Will keep you updated

and most probably annoy you with questions Rolling with laughter

I've had mine a couple of weeks now, and love it! Thumbs Up

Post #294957 29th Mar 2016 4:12 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 
Re: Buying an FL2

l200lee wrote:
Afternoon all,

this is my first post so go easy Wink

Im looking at the option of buying a Freelander 2. I wanted a Disco 3 but my budget wont allow it (im going through finance and the D3 doesn't match the criteria for me) so i have had a look at Freelander 2's.

I have seen a few posts regarding MPG, is it really quite bad? book figures are quite good aren't they?

Reliability? i would be using it to get to work around 30 miles each way daily and the odd trip over the weekend.

any particular models to look for? i have seen a few Aspen models for sale, are they a good version?

Thanks in advance for any replies Very Happy Very Happy

I own a 58 plate FL2 td4 with 92k on the clock. We have owned it for 3.5 years.
We've spent a fair amount of cash on it, regarding maintenance. No dpf to worry about on this reg Thumbs Up Neither have I suffered from any swirl flap probs or egr issues. Everything else, but lol. Landy has now gone.

Post #294990 29th Mar 2016 10:42 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Might be worth showing the reg no of the vehicle you are looking at just in case someone on the forum knows it. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #295008 30th Mar 2016 9:33 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1