« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Engine Overheating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue
Engine Overheating

Got stuck in a traffic jam this morning where I was moving a metre or so every 5 min for about 45 minutes!! I got to a traffic island when i heard a beeping then noticed that the temperature gauge was in the red!!! Panicking I pulled out of the queue and headed down a side street to no where and the guage quickly dropped to mid level again! Is this right???? I have never had a car overheat before and I have been in longer traffic jams than this!! Only got 6000 miles on her so fluids etc should be fine.

Anyone got any ideas? Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #27725 19th Sep 2008 10:55 am
Sam

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Quote:
Panicking I pulled out of the queue and headed down a side street to no where and the guage quickly dropped to mid level again!

If that is all you did, I doubt that such a short journey even with a strong head wind could have had any effect in reducing the temperature. Suspect faulty gauge?

Post #27727 19th Sep 2008 11:07 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

I would say no its not right and you need to get it checked ASAP

When i was at Tong last year, me and AlexG was out of our cars whatching some of the D3 & the RRS going up suicide hill. We parked up for a quick look and left our engines runnning for at least 40 minutes in 32c heat and I had no flucuation in the temperature gauge. I looked to see if it had moved when i relised we hadn't turn the cars off.

I have recently knoticed that the fan on my FL2 is kicking in more often, but the dealer said its just doing its job Confused Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #27729 19th Sep 2008 11:30 am
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Definitely not right, especially for a diesel and would agree it's worth getting to a dealer.

My i6 never fluctuates even when I've been hammering it and then get stuck in traffic in 45-50C, which I think just proves the testing that LR put the Fl2 through before release. Once you've tasted GREY you'll never go back!

Post #27735 19th Sep 2008 12:33 pm
shilen

Booked her in with dealer but have got to wait 2.5weeks as they are busy!! Lets hope the temp guage doesnt go into the red again (might have to call out Landrover Assistance if it does)

Also asked them to investigate the loose drivers seat and annoying knock from the rear. Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #27741 19th Sep 2008 2:27 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:

............When i was at Tong last year, me and AlexG ........ left our engines runnning for at least 40 minutes in 32c heat and I had no flucuation ............ .

32 .... at Tong ..... Shocked ..... get away !!!!

I think this weeks sunshine has gone to your head....

Have spent a couple of days this week working at Leeds Bradford airport, weather was terrific Thumbs Up Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #27743 19th Sep 2008 2:51 pm
shilen

Been to the dealer today. They ran the FL2 for an hour and it never occured and run diagnostics and couldnt find any fault, touch wood it has been fine since, perhaps a gremlin in the system??

Post #28734 8th Oct 2008 5:04 pm
stormsky

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Had something similar in a Rover once, temp guage went right round to the red for no reason. Stopped, switched off, back on, and all was fine. Never happened again and I put it down to maybe water or something on an electrical connection. It was a company car so I just carried on driving it anyway...as you do Very Happy 58 HSE, auto, lago grey, tints. Mine and my dogs Storm and Sky
TT Quattro, black. Ers.
AC Cobra rep in build. Ars.

Post #28781 9th Oct 2008 10:32 am
Fontuin

South Africa 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Zermatt Silver

Mine did the same thing, I took it straight to the dealer who could not duplicate the problem in 2 days, on colection of the vehicle the aircon was blowing hot air even if it was set to it's lowest temprature and on auto, I hadn't driven a km yet when the guage jumped into the red again, I drove straight back to the dealer, they reloaded all the software and it seemed fine, when they took it to the wash bay to get it ready for colection the guage jumped to past the red again, it is now still at the dealer.

Very frustrating!

Post #29268 16th Oct 2008 6:47 am
Fontuin

South Africa 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Zermatt Silver

Turns out that the fan temprature control module had packed up, they replaced it and the vehicle has been fine since, my mothers FL2 did exactly the same thing last night, either there is a bad batch of fan temprature control modules or we got the two faulty ones!

My mothers vehicle has less than 2000km on the clock.

Post #30160 30th Oct 2008 11:08 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Fontuin wrote:
Turns out that the fan temprature control module had packed up, they replaced it and the vehicle has been fine since, my mothers FL2 did exactly the same thing last night, either there is a bad batch of fan temprature control modules or we got the two faulty ones!

My mothers vehicle has less than 2000km on the clock.

Waiting on LRA to pop out to me as my temp gauge took a turn for the worse on my way home, jumping to the red, (but no warning light) and back down to 3/4 and the up then to 1/2 way

I was also noticing at the same time that my aircon on max cold was coming out slightly warmer than it should

All this after my dealer found no fault a week or two ago Rolling Eyes

To top it off the power steering was really heavy at slow speeds Evil or Very Mad Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #42318 25th May 2009 5:01 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Not had any overheating problems but saw a message on the info display recently that coolant level was low. Took a look in the header tank, there was fluid there (although it was low) so added water to midway level and no warning since then. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #42335 25th May 2009 9:18 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

LRA chap came out, checked it out and confirmed it wasn't overheating with a laser thermometer and has said it is either a faulty sensor or a faulty dashboard

noticed the battery had leaked too so i need to ask that to be replaced too Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #42337 25th May 2009 9:26 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

just got my car back

dealer said software upgrade..... for temp gauge, faulty PDC, ignition staying on and couldn't find fault with power steering a slow speeds.

and they need to speak to LR about my worn b pillars again as i have had them replaced already

see how long it is before i back at the dealers, I know it won't be for another FL2 I had enough now Exclamation Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #42437 28th May 2009 12:03 pm
shilen

npinks wrote:
see how long it is before i back at the dealers, I know it won't be for another FL2 I had enough now Exclamation

Know how you feel... 9 months to sort out problems with mine and not even a sorry from Landrover for their Censored customer service and Censored technical support. Another 18 months to go before im up for a change and doubt it will be a Landrover - hopefully there will be some suitable alternatives by then!

Post #42452 28th May 2009 2:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>