Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Engine Overheating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

i had a chat with sales when i was there, quite informal, but i think there might be some good deals on Discovery3' when the Discovery 4 is launched

Trade value would book price was £15k, but like normal i could get more dependant on what it was traded in against (i.e worth more if i went for a brand new D4 or D3 which the wife doesn't like the interior of)

But i have a voice in the back of my head saying there are still landrovers with possibly the same problems, IF i get another lemon of a car

My sales chap, was saying that he thinks my FL2 has been in more times than all the FL2 they have sold put together................ Thats why i feel like something else Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #42453 28th May 2009 3:23 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

It does tend to put you off doesn't it Sad

Post #42459 28th May 2009 6:50 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

thinking about swapping my temp sensors in the engine

Does anybody know were they are and are they just plug and play type one or will there be a element of the engine that will need to be disassembled Question and what these type of things cost? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #42574 1st Jun 2009 9:41 pm
richh

England 

hi guys. i have had this problem with a car i heve just finished working on. called technical and was told they know of nothing usually bad about the cooling system. removed rad to find it was one solid block of mud. turns out it was a Landrover experience car before customer bought it. all ok after a good jet wash and rebuild. hope this helps. Richh. they all do that!

Post #42727 5th Jun 2009 9:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

mine has been through the odd pond but has had a reasonable clean after Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #42731 6th Jun 2009 12:03 am
richh

England 

this thing must have been parked in the water spash overnight, for several nights, youcould even see the tide line in the silt on the air con rad. just below the headlamps. she s all good now. they all do that!

Post #42754 6th Jun 2009 8:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
EdSnow

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I totally stripped the front of mine this weekend. The Fans had been on more regularly and even saw the temp guage drift towards the red. I had always used the jet wash after serious off roading to ensure a clean radiator, but it didnt work. The air con rad is cleaned, but even then at the bottom only the intercooler got a clean. Having stripped off the hole front end I was able to clean each radiator indipendently of each other. Now I cant even get the fans to come on, unless I select Aircon which then runs then at slow speed.

Click image to enlarge
 Freelander 2 XS 2.2 TD4 Met Black, with Winter pack, 18" alloys with General Grabber AT2 wellies, MANTEC Sump and Tank Guards

Post #44234 1st Jul 2009 12:33 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

I had similar experiance, but the car did go into the red and go into limp mode.

I am having a arguement with LR over this as it was confirmed by LRA that the car hadn't overheated and was running at a normal temp.

They blamed it on a little mud on the radiator too, even though this mud was put there 12 months ago and LR cleaned the radiator (I had to argue over the bill they wanted to give too)

I really think it was down to a faulty sensor, but as it did it with my caravan on the back i have to go do a test run prior to my trip to cornwall.

anyway Whistle

How easy was the removal of the parts, any step by step guide or close up of the mud Question Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #44245 1st Jul 2009 10:05 am
EdSnow

Mine did actually go into limp mode for a short time. I switched the aircon on to get the fans on for sure, and then turned the heating up to full with the windows open so as not to die of heat exhaustion. That did cool her down for long enough to get the few miles home. See new close up picture below. The shock is when it’s all washed out in a pile on the floor, I was surprised the radiator was working at all. I swear I’ve now got half of Tixover quarry on my drive! As for removing things its very easy. You need bumper removal instructions, which I go from this site. If you have trouble finding them PM an email address and I’ll send them over. Then remove actual steel bumper with 8x 17mm nuts. Plastic air guides all come off easily. The difficult bit is sliding the fans out without damaging the radiator fins, or bending your aircon pipes. I did it, but take your time. Over all taking it apart and cleaning with a pressure washer and putting back together took me just over 5 hours, a great way to spend Sunday afternoon and evening! Even my misses helped!

Click image to enlarge
 Freelander 2 XS 2.2 TD4 Met Black, with Winter pack, 18" alloys with General Grabber AT2 wellies, MANTEC Sump and Tank Guards

Post #44246 1st Jul 2009 10:47 am
chicken george

For my tractors I made a radiator washing tool by squashing a piece of copper pipe almost flat, drilling a hole in the side. folding one end over and connect the other end to a hose pipe. the flat tube fits between radiator and air con radiator and the hole aims the water thru the fins of the radiators, not as good as disassembling job but very effective.
the tool has now gone as more modern tractors have very easy ways to slide/fold the aircon radiator out of the way At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #44247 1st Jul 2009 11:05 am
richh

England 

hi all. so glad this helped. it worried me when i rang LR technical hotline and was asked to inform them of what it was when i found the problem, useful chappies.Richh they all do that!

Post #44856 9th Jul 2009 6:44 pm
alex_pescaru

EdSnow wrote:
I totally stripped the front of mine this weekend.

How much oil did you find inside the intercooler? Thanks!

Post #44858 9th Jul 2009 6:58 pm
richh

England 

i cant really remember, it wet straight into the drainer before cleaning. there should be some in there. i wouldnt worry mate.Richh they all do that!

Post #44863 9th Jul 2009 7:23 pm
EdSnow

alex_pescaru wrote:
EdSnow wrote:
I totally stripped the front of mine this weekend.

How much oil did you find inside the intercooler? Thanks!

Very little. Not enough to drip out, but it did have a slight coating inside. Freelander 2 XS 2.2 TD4 Met Black, with Winter pack, 18" alloys with General Grabber AT2 wellies, MANTEC Sump and Tank Guards

Post #45083 13th Jul 2009 9:10 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Its just normal with a turbo.

You can take it out and clean it with white spirit/brake cleaner/petrol etc.
Anything that evaporates quickly in air.

Post #45097 14th Jul 2009 7:32 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>