« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Mudflap Fitting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
cotefarmboy

United Kingdom 
Mudflap Fitting

Just fitted my mudflaps today, rears are a doddle, take 2 screws out fit the flap and re-fit the screws, 2 mins per side.

Then the fronts, nightmare Shocked Took about 30 mins per side as you have to cut bits of the wheelarch liner to accept a bracket, then drill the trim and finally fit the flaps. Looks better with them on and will hopefully keep the black paint shiny!

I dread to think what the dealers will be charging to fit them!!

Post #1833 6th Mar 2007 11:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
defkalion

Greece 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I wouldn't mind mudflaps on mine either. How about posting an image of the car with them cotefarmboy? thanks...

Post #1834 6th Mar 2007 2:33 pm
cotefarmboy

United Kingdom 

Will do, once I have cleaned it Whistle

Post #1835 6th Mar 2007 2:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
defkalion

Don't bother, the more mud it has the more joy it must have been for you, right?
On the ohter hand it's also a joy to see the car even if it's just been waxed and just lies there in your garage! This car is beautiful anyway you look at it.

Post #1836 6th Mar 2007 2:52 pm
stuartp

United Kingdom 
Re: Mudflap Fitting

cotefarmboy wrote:
Just fitted my mudflaps today, rears are a doddle, take 2 screws out fit the flap and re-fit the screws, 2 mins per side.

Then the fronts, nightmare Shocked Took about 30 mins per side as you have to cut bits of the wheelarch liner to accept a bracket, then drill the trim and finally fit the flaps. Looks better with them on and will hopefully keep the black paint shiny!

I dread to think what the dealers will be charging to fit them!!

I had mudflaps fitted before I picked up my FL2 on Sat ,the dealer wanted £50 to fit them, I said you joking! Anyway they fitted them (not for £50) but by the time I had got home one of the rear mudflaps had come off???

Anyway looking at the arch there was one screw still in what was left of a very small piece of the mudflap,so they didn’t make a very good job of fitting them anyway.

There is a metal clip inside the bumper the screw threads into but this was cross threading the screw so it looks like the fitter has just put one screw in and by the time I was doing 70 on the motorway there goes my mudflap!
Big Cry

Post #1841 6th Mar 2007 7:02 pm
cotefarmboy

United Kingdom 

The rear ones do seem very flimsy, when fitting mine I overtightened one of the screws and it popped right through the rubber, didn't split it though. If they catch anything (off-roading etc) they will be straight off. For £25 a pair they should be better IMHO.

Post #1842 6th Mar 2007 7:07 pm
stuartp

United Kingdom 

cotefarmboy wrote:
The rear ones do seem very flimsy, when fitting mine I overtightened one of the screws and it popped right through the rubber, didn't split it though. If they catch anything (off-roading etc) they will be straight off. For £25 a pair they should be better IMHO.

Just had a conversation with my dealer while they were fitting my new mudflap (replacing the one that flew off!) he has taken photos of the mudflaps and is mailing Landrover as this was the 1st FL2 they had fitted them too and he thinks they are not up to standard. He is going to get a refund from Landrover or see if they are in the process of upgrading them as he said the FL1 mudflaps were a lot heavier duty? Question

Post #1847 7th Mar 2007 12:24 pm
John-Boy

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Galway Green

I agree on the flimsiness of the mudflaps. Mine were fitted by the dealer but the rear ones are not at all secure. When I wash the car I have to be careful not to dislodge them. I shall be looking out for an improved replacement.

Post #1848 7th Mar 2007 12:40 pm
quickmotor

Ireland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Stornoway Grey

Picture of my mudflaps. I agree that fronts are a pain in the A$$ to fit but they do protect the bottom of the doors and keep the dreaded tar away.

Post #2455 16th Apr 2007 1:05 pm
defkalion

ok, if it's such a mess to install the front mudflaps (cut the wheelarch liner?), does this mean that if I decide to take them off, that would leave a nice hole on the wheelarch liner? Exclamation

Post #2521 19th Apr 2007 7:52 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Defkalion, my friend, if you dare to fit mud flaps to your FL2, I will refuse to answer your pm's again. Personally, I think they spoil the look of the car, not to mention the fact if you dare go offroad you will leave them behind in the mud. Offroad cars dont do mud flaps - come on guys be serious!!! Evil or Very Mad

Post #2523 19th Apr 2007 8:27 pm
defkalion

Maybe you're right Carlfraz, however it's those first few days of pation and love with my new Stornaway Gray machine that make me feel that I want its bodywork to remain as new. Especially the lower plastics (under the doors) will get so abused Big Cry ! OK I admit it, it was love at first sight, maybe I should get over it,...or maybe not Rolling Eyes !

Post #2525 19th Apr 2007 8:41 pm
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hey defkalion, Your beautiful car was not drawn on the designers initial sketches with MUD FLAPS, nor do I see it in the sales brochure, its performance, lines , ability are sold to us ......but not MUD FLAPS!!!

I realise you wish to preserve her under body from nasty bits but that is why the designer fitted so much plastic across her underbelly!!. Drive her, enjoy her, look at her.....then wash her Thumbs Up . If you are not going to do too much offroad work fit some side pipes which sort of help protect the underside. I fitted them to mine in black plus the door protectors.....she looks GREAT!!, plus they aid access to the rear for my two kids eight year old daughter & six year old boy!!

Post #2529 19th Apr 2007 8:56 pm
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Censored Censored Censored Censored Been trying to fit mudflaps today, the rears were ok, but the supplied screws were shorter than the screws you take out and supposedly throw away; then there is the fronts....... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

The brackets are labelled incorrectly and in the end having removed the plastic cover at the front on the passenger side I tried to get the screw in the wheel arch out to no avail, I either carry on and end up loosing my rag and hitting it with a hammer or take it to the dealer and get them to do it and save me geting an ulcer Mad Mad Mad Looks like the later D4 HSE Lux for me
FL2 HSE Zermatt & Alpacca for the wife now gone
Skoda Yeti L&K for the wife.

Post #3032 12th May 2007 5:01 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

If my experiences with seriously offroading a Freelander 1 are anything to go by the LR mudflaps for this car are INDESTRUCTABLE! I was amazed at the torturing they could take and not show any signs of damage, unlike the whimpy rubber curtains that masquerade as mudflaps on my big macho Defender that fall off or get torn at the first sign of a spot of serious playing! It has only been in the last 2-3 years too that LR realised that Defender owners didn't always want to buy 2 front and 2 rear flaps every time they went offroad and started to sell them singly............. I've removed them for good now as I was spending a fortune on replacing them, but I have to be very careful when going back on-road that I have cleaned all the mud out of the wheelarches and stones from the tyre treads as now there is nothing to stop that stuff from flying out the back as I accelerate away at warp speed. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #3034 12th May 2007 5:54 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>