Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Side window squeaks when raised and Tail Gate Light leaks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Angling Mad

2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Indus Silver
Side window squeaks when raised and Tail Gate Light leaks

My Freelander 2 at 5 years old and 70K miles is sadly starting to show signs of age all at once. Just done about 2k miles since having the rear axle pinion bearing changed and new disks/pads. Now I have transmission warnings and LR dealer says the Haldex pump needs to be changed and the pinion bearing is noisy again. They are doing the bearing again under warranty and LR support have accepted to pay half the cost but there are a couple of issues I think I could sort out and would obviously like to reduce my costs. Maybe I should get shot but gone so far already and due annual service/MOT so more cost Big Cry .

- The side window is driving me nuts every time it is opened or closed it squeaks & squeals from the glass against the rubber not the mechanism at all. Is it something I can fix with some silicone myself?

- The brake light on the top of the tails gate was replaced under warranty but it is now condensing again and leaking water inside the boot. I am guessing the dealers just put some silicone round last time and did not change it they now say the want £289 just for the part to replace it so again I will have a go at resealing it but can anyone tell me how to get the fitting out there seems to be a little plastic nodule on the bottom but no screws do I prize this off to get to it?

Post #288782 30th Jan 2016 6:45 pm
taztastic

England 

brake light removal in this thread

With the window rubber, get a plastic card and slide it down the rubber to pull it away from the glass, then get a wet cloth in the gap, work it back and forth along the rubber to clean the inner surface, don't use any silicone Thumbs Up

Post #288806 30th Jan 2016 8:32 pm
Dave51

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Lago Grey

To remove high level brake light remove interior trim at top of door and there is a plastic retaining tab on each end of the lamp assembly reachable by putting a screwdriver through each hole and pressing the tab in towards the unit. There's a section in the handbook on this.
If it has not been sealed in then it should just pop out, but if someone has sealed it in then removal can be tricky and it would be useful to have a spare unit (around UKP50) in case it breaks.
New unit comes with foam seal, but getting any crud off the hole without damaging the paintwork can be a real pain.
Good luck.

Post #288809 30th Jan 2016 8:39 pm
Angling Mad

2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Indus Silver

Thanks to you both I will give it a go.

Post #288812 30th Jan 2016 8:44 pm
JGH99

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi, while you have the brake light out check a couple of other things.

The washer jet which goes through the unit is sometimes missing an 0-ring. I think they come off when jet is pulled out. This can let water in. I filled mine with a little Vaseline but probably best to get a new O-ring.

Also, as on my unit, the outside clear part of the unit can start to split away from the inside frame. This can also let water in. I sealed mine with some waterproof silicone sealant. All been watertight since then.

Cheers, JGH99.

Also, there are some videos on YouTube showing how to remove brake light from powerful uk Ltd.

Post #288826 30th Jan 2016 10:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1