« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fitting a tow bar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Got mine on now - details here
http://www.freel2.com/forum/post279396.html#279396 No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #279898 30th Oct 2015 6:58 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Walenut wrote:
Just fitted a Witter detachable, this can be done without removing the bumper, small hole drilled under the left hand reflector which you can just see in the photo, no electrics fitted as its only for a very old small trailer, did notice that when the ball was connected it didn't interfere with the reversing sensors so plus on all fronts. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Thats the one Ive had on my last 3 FL2s - just transferred the towbar to each new car. Very easy to fit without removing all that body work. Needed to buy different electrics though.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Jules

Post #280010 31st Oct 2015 10:42 pm
Merlinrocket

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

Hi Jules
Can you please give me the details of that witter detachable as I want to fit one but don't want to remove the bumper. I was hoping to do the metalwork myself but get a professional to do the wiring and set up the towing module. In your experience is that necessary / wise? Or did you do this yourself. Mine in a 57 plat td4. Thanks

Post #285806 31st Dec 2015 8:43 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

sorry - only just seen your request

I use the standard Witter towbar with removable flanged ball. R41AQF.

Ive fitted many towbars to a variety of vehicles and fitting this towbar is not difficult. However its easy to scratch the exhaust silencer during installing - I put a piece of heavy duty plastic sheet over it. You also need a long 13mm ( I think) 3/8 socket for the 2 nuts behind the left reflector

The electrics have varied with each FL2 but Ive always used LR OEM electrics - the latest one is totally plug n play - the cheapest and easiest to fit of all of them and didnt need coding by the dealership , which the previous FL2 did.

Did all my own fitting - extra pair of hands helpful in holding up the towbar under the car. Jules

Post #287386 16th Jan 2016 10:42 am
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

The Freelander 1 a genuine towbar fixed or swan neck could be fitted in approx 1 hour. No bumper removal or trimming required of modding the CCF files for the electrics. I really wonder why JLR did make the FL2 that easy. Surely it cannot be down to people taking the car into a dealers to fit it? MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #287393 16th Jan 2016 11:40 am
Yelnats69

England 

turboextreme wrote:
Are you wiring up your tow bar according to the latest mot requirements as wiring in this way won't illuminate the towing light indicator light on the dash board. To make it legal a audible buzzer must be used. Thumbs Up

When my towing electrics was sorted I paid £58.00 inch vat for a aftermarket plug and play tow bar wiring kit inch free programming by the tow bar centre.

where did you buy the plug & Play electrics? and the tow bar who adjusted the computer and what year is your vehicle

thanks

Post #292053 29th Feb 2016 11:41 am
Browny90

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I fitted my towbar over the weekend and it took around 45 minutes.. I opted for drilling behind the N/S reflector to access the 2 small nuts, It was a tight squeeze between the bumper and exhaust, but it did go..

granted I havent fitted the electrics yet, but they're sat in the car now, and I really cant see it takin too long..

I bought a 2nd hand genuine fixed towbar from gumtree for £50, it came with electrics, but non dedicated, the ones where you have to butcher it in to the loom, I didnt fancy that so I've opted for geniuine dedicated for ~£150 from Duckworths..

I could not and would not justify having a dealer fit it.. some of the quotes i've seen on here are rediculous to say the least, they must see people coming who are happy to part with ~£6-800 for fitting..

Its about 10 bolts and pretty self explanatory where it fits.. MY2011 Freelander 2 GS Santorini Black
MY2004 Freelander 1 Sport Java Black
MY1986 Defender 90 Stornoway Grey - Fully Rebuilt this Year

Post #292074 29th Feb 2016 2:18 pm
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Browny90 - I completely agree with you - absolute doddle to do and the wiring kits are an absolute rip-off even at PF Jones prices (who I highly recommend by the way)

Fitting a Witter towbar and wiring it in is an EASY DIY project on a late model which is plug n play - earlier models will need to have the CCF activated for the wiring to work but it is still an EASY project with no need to get ripped off. Thumbs Up No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #292087 29th Feb 2016 3:43 pm
Rally

United Kingdom 

Great pictures and a great thread to view it all, but it wasn't necessary on the Tow-Trust TL259 fixed towbar I've just fitted. I picked up a 'only used once and three months old' towbar for £80. It was a doddle to fit. It squeezed between the exhaust and rear bumper with a slight bit of jiggery pockery, and there was no need to remove the left reflector as suggested in the fitting instructions for access either.
My hands are like shovels, but I managed with the correct tools to do it in under an hour. The electrics took another hour with the help of this thread.
Thanks very much.

Post #300365 9th Jun 2016 8:03 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

can a LR fixed tow bar be removed without removing the bumper? want to remove it before its traded in

Post #346455 3rd Apr 2018 11:28 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

One thing to watch out for when you remove a tow bar ie make sure that you remove all of it. When I trading in my first FL2 I undid the wrong nuts and only later discovered that I had mistakenly left part of the passenger side bracket still attached to the car so I was left with an incomplete tow bar assembly - which is pretty difficult to sell on eBay.

PS I took it off with the bumper in situ 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #346472 4th Apr 2018 9:32 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i watched a video yesterday, and watching him prise off his bumper to fit it, because screws had jammed, wasn't my cup of tea,

might just list it FOC to someone who wants to take it off :lol:

Post #346479 4th Apr 2018 10:03 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12