Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Worth Keeping?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
A[

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Barolo Black
Worth Keeping?

Despite turning the stereo up the whining from what I assume is the rear diff is becoming annoying. My local indy garage has quoted me £1K to replace the diff assuming that's what it is. I could part chop it for another vehicle (obviously I'd loose on the trade in cos they'd spot it on the test drive) or I could keep and repair it. I'm just wondering what other expensive fixes might be lying in wait on a 10 plate, manual with 85k on the clock. Apart from electronic door mechanisms and discs (main dealers seem to like doing that) I've not had to replace anything yet. It's been a great car. Thanks in advance for any advice

Post #346433 3rd Apr 2018 6:58 pm
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

The faults you have or may get on your present car you could easily get on your next car. Newer and lower mileage doesn't necessarily mean more reliable. MY13 HSE LUX Aintree Green
MY57 SE Stornoway Grey. Gone
Nissan X Trail
Discovery V8 LPG
Series II Land Rover

Post #346436 3rd Apr 2018 7:45 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 

Not a million miles from you are Bell engineering they are very highly thought of & will sort your diff out for a lot less than £1,000. WWW.Bellengineering.co.uk

Post #346437 3rd Apr 2018 7:50 pm
ianbevan

Wales 

I would keep all the help and information is here. Any car will have its problems but you have just about all the answers on this site

Post #346447 3rd Apr 2018 9:37 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: Worth Keeping?

A[ wrote:
Despite turning the stereo up the whining from what I assume is the rear diff is becoming annoying. My local indy garage has quoted me £1K to replace the diff assuming that's what it is. I could part chop it for another vehicle (obviously I'd loose on the trade in cos they'd spot it on the test drive) or I could keep and repair it. I'm just wondering what other expensive fixes might be lying in wait on a 10 plate, manual with 85k on the clock. Apart from electronic door mechanisms and discs (main dealers seem to like doing that) I've not had to replace anything yet. It's been a great car. Thanks in advance for any advice

It depends if finance is your major factor in deciding or is it ease of use. Usually running an older car is cheaper than a new one when you take depreciation into consideration. But there is also the extra aggro of having an older car as it will statistically require more maintenance and some might be expensive (case in point). If your like getting your hands dirty and enjoy DIY maintenance then I'd keep the older car. Jules

Post #346454 3rd Apr 2018 11:15 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Mechanical Breakdowns are a pain but I think most of us can cope with them. Once a series of electrical problems start will for me be the time to consider longer ownership. A lot be said for the Devil you know. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #346456 3rd Apr 2018 11:31 pm
T4

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

Only you can tell. If you fancy a change then it as good an excuse as any. If you don't then £1000 is less than you will pay for a comparable replacement.

Any older car will eventually need something replaced as they aren't designed to last forever. Terry had me for £6K on his 10th birthday, massive service, clutch, wheel bearing, rear shocks and some other stuff but cost me nothing other than consumables up till then.

Post #346470 4th Apr 2018 8:59 am
A[

Many thanks for all your responses - what a great forum. I'm not mechanically minded / gifted sadly hence I just wondered if there were any other well known expensive items like the diff ready to pounce.

Thanks for the suggestion of Bell Engineering - struggling to make contact with them but will persist - I'm in Derbyshire so a bit of a hike but could be worth it if the price is right.

Probably the deciding factor is what I've been offered against other (admittedly not Land Rover) vehicles. If you don't change vehicles regularly you forget what a disappointment trade in valuations can be. It's obviously near the bottom of it's depreciation curve and yet is still a comfortable country / motorway vehicle with albeit dated gadgets. So I think its a keeper. If I changed, the depreciation on it's replacement would be at least a couple of grand during the next year which covers this repair.

Also reminded myself of a few things about car buying. I went to look at a used Skoda Yeti - they've replaced the Yeti with a very curvaceous model (the Karoq (ffs)) - so a recognisably different model (the Yeti) now looks like all the others - helped me decide that I quite like a boxy practical car that you can chuck anything in!

Another point of interest - one large dealer says they use We Buy Any Car valuations to inform theirs......

Cheers

Post #346502 4th Apr 2018 4:04 pm
A[

One more point - the haldex - does anyone know if simply reattaching the new diff to the existing haldex is a standard repair. One indy garage has said they simply reattach, the other say that in addition, they 'service' the existing haldex?

Post #346511 4th Apr 2018 5:44 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

A[ wrote:
Many thanks for all your responses - what a great forum. I'm not mechanically minded / gifted sadly hence I just wondered if there were any other well known expensive items like the diff ready to pounce.

Thanks for the suggestion of Bell Engineering - struggling to make contact with them but will persist - I'm in Derbyshire so a bit of a hike but could be worth it if the price is right.

Probably the deciding factor is what I've been offered against other (admittedly not Land Rover) vehicles. If you don't change vehicles regularly you forget what a disappointment trade in valuations can be. It's obviously near the bottom of it's depreciation curve and yet is still a comfortable country / motorway vehicle with albeit dated gadgets. So I think its a keeper. If I changed, the depreciation on it's replacement would be at least a couple of grand during the next year which covers this repair.

Also reminded myself of a few things about car buying. I went to look at a used Skoda Yeti - they've replaced the Yeti with a very curvaceous model (the Karoq (ffs)) - so a recognisably different model (the Yeti) now looks like all the others - helped me decide that I quite like a boxy practical car that you can chuck anything in!

Another point of interest - one large dealer says they use We Buy Any Car valuations to inform theirs......

Cheers
My dad and brother both drive 4x4 Yeti Tdis and love them. Having driven them I can confirm that they are a nice enough motor to drive, DSG auto box in them is nice too but I prefer the Landrover! Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #346514 4th Apr 2018 6:03 pm
robbyvrs

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Manual Fuji White

A[ wrote:
One more point - the haldex - does anyone know if simply reattaching the new diff to the existing haldex is a standard repair. One indy garage has said they simply reattach, the other say that in addition, they 'service' the existing haldex?

It would make sense to service the Haldex at the same time - oil+filter and also a software update
I'm having my haldex serviced next week for piece of mind

Post #346517 4th Apr 2018 6:13 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1