« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Fault showing- reduced engine power or system fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Boof

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Manual Santorini Black
Fault showing- reduced engine power or system fault

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I urgently need some help. I am due to get a trade in price for my freelander tomorrow (Friday 8th August)

I came back from a 150 miles trip and parked the car up, i didn't drive it for a couple of days and when I started it up there was a lot of black smoke and it seemed as though it was only running on three cylinders, banging and vibrating. I left the car and had to take the wife's. When I returned I checked and it was displaying "reduced engine power". I put a cheap diagnostic machine I have on and it threw up the following codes;
P042E
P042F
P0652 " sensor ref vol-ta Ge "B" circuit low

I cleared the codes and drove about a mile before it went in to " reduced power" again. I had a look online and someone suggested a light tap on the EGR housing as it may have stuck. I did so and it was fine without faults showing for about 3 miles. I noticed that the terrain response programs flashed up as off then a four wheel drive fault message was displayed.

I turned the car of then back on and no faults. I drove about 200 yards and the engine management light came on. I cleared all the faults and it worked fine until today when I went to get it cleaned and it went into " reduced power" again.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated, I have cleared the faults out and only hope that they stay off when I'm at the dealership. I'm only looking as I still like the freelander but ...... I'm worried that it's going to be a costly beast to hold onto.

I don't want to take it to a LR dealer and get my eyes taken out just for them to say it's going to cost a fortune to put right. Big Cry Big Cry

It's got 65,000 on 2010 car. Thanks

Post #273939 27th Aug 2015 11:56 pm
alex_pescaru

Errors, indeed, point to a faulty EGR valve.

Post #273948 28th Aug 2015 8:10 am
Boof

Thanks Alex! Bow down hopefully not too expensive to get fixed!

Post #273949 28th Aug 2015 8:15 am
Boof

alex_pescaru wrote:
Errors, indeed, point to a faulty EGR valve.

Alex, would a faulty Egr cause all the problems ? Including the fault that showed on the terrain response?

Post #273958 28th Aug 2015 8:37 am
alex_pescaru

There are cases when the EGR must be completely closed.
If not, you engine will not work with fresh, oxygen rich air and will not work properly, giving the exact symptoms you described - smoke, shuddering, etc.

Last edited by alex_pescaru on 28th Aug 2015 4:12 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #273996 28th Aug 2015 4:08 pm
Boof

Ok thanks for all your help alex Thumbs Up

Post #273997 28th Aug 2015 4:11 pm
alex_pescaru

As for TR errors, the engine is an important component of the system... Laughing Laughing
If the requested torque is not there, then the system can be disabled.
But that TR error is stored as fault in another ECU and you must see what says.
Read again the errors with a LR dedicated tester if possible.

Post #273998 28th Aug 2015 4:12 pm
Offshore1987

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Baltic Blue

Had a brand new EGR fitted by LR and it was just over £400 ish earlier this year

Dan Freelander 57 plate XS Blue Auto

Post #274004 28th Aug 2015 4:43 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

My son took the car (2011 facelift with 64k miles) out today and called me to say that the Reduced Engine Performance message came up and that he couldn't get more than about 2500 revs out of the engine. I told him to stop the engine and start again etc which made no difference. When he got home the message was still there. Called out LR Assist.
The guy came within a couple of hours and he wired his computer up and the diagnosis is a fault on temp sensor 1 on the exhaust system. Evidently there are three sensors on the exhaust and this one is just after the turbo and behind the engine. It was reading 20C whilst the others were 340C and 285C respectively. Evidently it should be around 380C. He started the engine and read the temperatures which slowly came up as the engine warmed up. This time they seemed OK but when I drove it later it was clear that the problem was still there. He had a look underneath to check the sensor wiring and whilst there found also a split in the "DPF Sensor Pipe".

I got him to do a comprehensive vehicle check and found that my alarm motion sensor alarm was not working and a fault in the rear wiper. It's on extended warranty so will be back to the dealers next week.

Incidentally I mentioned the fuel filter and he said that there had been a problem with a bad batch of fuel filters a year or so ago but that they didn't see many these days. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #274121 29th Aug 2015 9:38 pm
dorsetfreelander

Forgot to mention in my previous post on Reduced Performance that the fault code was P0546-00 Exhaust gas temp sensor circuit high (bank 1 sensor 1).

Incidentally LR Assist guy said that as of 1st July there is a new system for loan cars. Previously they were supplied by Enterprise Rentals. Evidently JLR have now placed 4 or 5 new cars at each dealership exclusively for warranty work. Likely to be DS he thought. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #274153 30th Aug 2015 2:21 pm
dorsetfreelander

Picked the car up this morning , they had replaced two sensors on the exhaust system as per the fault codes registered. I drove it for about 5 miles and as soon as I started going up a hill the reduced engine power message came up again. I turned round and went straight back to the dealer and retrieved my loan car before they closed.
After my family's experiences of owning 4 of these cars I am coming to the conclusion that anyone who buys a Freelander needs to visit a psychiatrist first. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #274827 5th Sep 2015 6:28 pm
Boof

After more problems I've hit the bullet and my Freelander has gone. I've got rid before it costs me the earth.

I will be posting some accessories on here to sell( in the proper place)

Seat covers, wind deflectors, full load/dog guard and a set of Thule locking roof bars (not for one with roof rails).

Post #274830 5th Sep 2015 6:38 pm
dorsetfreelander

At least ours are under warranty for another 7 months but I can't see any sense in owning one after that. Today's bill was shown to me (over £400), my only consolation is that the warranty has paid for itself a few times over. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #274833 5th Sep 2015 6:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1