« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Central locking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Sidetops

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue
Central locking

My central locking is being annoying and behaving very erratically.

When I press the unlock button the drivers door and passenger side rear door open ok, but the passenger door and driver side rear dont always unlock unless I press the unlock button at least half a dozen times. Sometimes its all ok, but usually I need to do this.

Also when I lock the car, both the drivers door and driver's side rear door don't always lock. I pull the door to check and surprisingly it opens and the alarm goes off! If I press the lock button repeatedly and they lock ok. Again only intermittently.

And, when driving off the doors lock. When someone tries to open either of the rear doors they usually remain locked until the lock switch is pulled.

I have turned off the two stage unlocking, so that one press should open all the doors. But as you can see its not operating correctly.

Can anyone help? I have heard about the locking solenoids, but surely they don't ALL need replacing do they?

Post #273936 27th Aug 2015 10:46 pm
johnny_22_83

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

As I see it.......you're facing some painstaking work
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic13544.html?highlight=door+latch
I had the same problem last month.
It's one of the most common problems with this car.
Thanks to this forum......we have the solution for it.
So....good luck with that

Post #274512 3rd Sep 2015 9:02 am
Sidetops

Ouch!

Sometimes its better than others. If I press the lock unlock button multiple times approaching/leaving the vehicle it unlocks/locks fine.

Its just that if I press the unlock button once or twice the passenger door wont unlock. And if I press the lock button once or twice the drivers door wont lock.

But if I press the button say 6 times in succession its fine.

Post #274515 3rd Sep 2015 9:18 am
johnny_22_83

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

Yes, that happened to us all.
Pressing the button multiple times forces the mechanism to work because, in the end, the problem is that the motor's brushes are covered in carbon and pressing the button over and over will eventually get the job done.
But it's so damn annoying to do that and to have to always check all doors to make sure the car is locked (it's like you didn't have central locking)
So my advice is to dismantle the doors (only the ones that don't act like it suppose to, of course) and fix the problem......unless you want to check your horn everytime you lock the car Laughing

Post #274524 3rd Sep 2015 9:40 am
Col1nw3bb

United Kingdom 

Can confirm its a pain in the rear issue to deal with. I replaced my drivers door mech with a new item when i got it and now the passenger door and offside rear both given up and need manualy dealing with. Im going to practise dismantling the old drivers door unit and try the forum cleaning motors method. Transplant those motors in to the passenger side and if that works clean those motors and put them into the rear door. At £80 a unit i dont want to buy another 2 if i can avoid it.

Worst part is my alarms now playing up and i suspect its cause ive left it so long. It goes off so i press unlock, then when i press lock the horn sounds to indicate a door isnt shut. In the past ive tried opening a door and closing it then attempt to lock, but the horn continues to sound regardless of order i do doors in till ive opened and shut all 4 doors. Tonight when it went off i unlocked it, tried to lock and got the horn, left it 5mins while i finished dinner tried to lock again and it locked straight away.

Id deal with it before you get to the point im at mate Big Cry

Colin

Post #274771 4th Sep 2015 11:37 pm
Sidetops

Thanks for the info. and sorry to hear of your particular problem. I noticed someone with a Freelander the other day trying to lock their car, the horn kept sounding, and he kept walking around the car trying to lock it and check the doors were locked, but they kept opening! Dreadful situation, and I don't wish it to get that bad.

Post #274777 5th Sep 2015 12:32 am
ad210358

England 

Worth checking the Bonnet Switch if the Alarm keeps sounding. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #274793 5th Sep 2015 9:47 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1