« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Very slow pull away - won't rev
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
frawdder

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Very slow pull away - won't rev

Had this on 3 seprate occasions now, twice last week when in slow moving traffic and it was quite warm but again today when it's been 12 deg so ruling out temp related (gauge reading normal). No warning lights on and nothing flashing up on the dash. Sport mode makes no difference. Sad

Each time it has started after sitting at lights for several mins in neutral with hand break on. Into drive and the car goes nowhere, revs rise very, very slowly and it's quite dangerous. Shocked Done over 100 miles since last weeks incident and has worked fine. Took the car to an industrial estate and tried to replicate the fault for 20 mins but no joy.

Seems to be either trying to pull away in too high a gear but wont shift down or maybe fuel starvation? might just be paranoid with the second but had a B service done the week before last with fuel filter change and it was running fine beforehand.

Today when it started playing up I put it into command shift and dropped a gear, so I know it was pulling away in second uphill, pulled away that time but not on subsequent attempts even at flat roundabouts/junctions.

So the question is, has anyone encountered this before? as I've done multiple searches and read lots of threads but although some sound similar none have shown the same symptoms.

Post #267371 19th Jun 2015 9:30 pm
Jim NI

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Loire Blue

It's a 2011 thing, plenty of discussion on it here. 2014 SE Loire Blue SD4 Auto (MY15)
Gone - 2011 GS Baltic Blue, Retrofit Electric Leather, Side Steps, 19"SC's, Roof Rails, TT Sat Nav Mod, Retrofit Premium Audio, Retro fit 2013 Xenons with DRL & Sig Strip (Clutch at 47k)
Gone - 2007 GS Narvik Black, Privacy Glass, 19" SC's, Side Steps,Roof Rails, Roof Spoiler, Lamp Guards, Retrofit Electric Leather (Clutch at 115k)
Gone - 2007 SE Santorini Black (Clutch at 120k)
BT IID (best money ever spent on a car)

Post #267373 19th Jun 2015 10:10 pm
piattj

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

Be good to get a pointer to the discussions on this topic... any specific posts? Ta! ...

Be true to yourself. That way happiness lies...

Post #267378 19th Jun 2015 10:35 pm
Jim NI

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Loire Blue

Do a search for hesitation also couple on LR Customer Relations thread 2014 SE Loire Blue SD4 Auto (MY15)
Gone - 2011 GS Baltic Blue, Retrofit Electric Leather, Side Steps, 19"SC's, Roof Rails, TT Sat Nav Mod, Retrofit Premium Audio, Retro fit 2013 Xenons with DRL & Sig Strip (Clutch at 47k)
Gone - 2007 GS Narvik Black, Privacy Glass, 19" SC's, Side Steps,Roof Rails, Roof Spoiler, Lamp Guards, Retrofit Electric Leather (Clutch at 115k)
Gone - 2007 SE Santorini Black (Clutch at 120k)
BT IID (best money ever spent on a car)

Post #267383 19th Jun 2015 10:53 pm
frawdder

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Thanks for the reply Jim but as mentioned in my OP I've read multiple posts. Those with hesitation seem to report it happening around 18-2000rpm/in different gear or speeds and nearly all report stutter, noise, etc. or temperature related.
Here are some I have read:

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic16502.html
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic15898.html
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic20555.html
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic23389.html
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic23060.html

The closest symptom explination was from Chuckalicious.
"Fairly toasty today. 23 degrees where I was. Sitting at roundabout, saw a space open up, put the foot down. Car slowly rolled onto the carriageway. My heart almost exploded. Then so did the turbo and off we went. My foot was to the floor before anything more than pathetic happened.
Have I just had the dreaded hesitation fault? Manual 2011MY TD4."

Mine is an SD4 auto and my understanding is the turbo does not kick in till >>1500rpm so have ruled that out as it struggles to rev from 800rpm.

Any links I've missed would be appreciated.

Post #267467 20th Jun 2015 5:57 pm
Pete The Biker

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Two or three years ago my 57 plate HSE auto used to do the same, but only at a junction about a mile from my house (i.e. when the engine was still cold), and when the weather was also cold.

So, same symptoms but in different circumstances (i.e. cold rather than hot).

I can't explain why it hasn't done it for the last winter or two.

Peter 2007 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #269070 9th Jul 2015 9:11 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Funny how the forum gets this perennial 2011 hesitation thing in the summer months. Perhaps the mods should consider putting up a temperature related announcement on this website. Very Happy

Reminds me of the Freelander 1 when the fuel burning heater would suddenly start up at the beginning of winter and users would worry about why they had smoke coming out of the wheel arch. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #269073 9th Jul 2015 9:27 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1