Home > Wheels & Tyres > Different tyres damage differential
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
paxman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey
Different tyres damage differential

Hi all

My fl2 MY13 has 2 rear tyres @ Pirelli scopion zero M+S 235/60/R18 from factory, tread depth average 4mm. The 2 front tyres are new Landsail 235/60/R18 tread as new. Dealer replaced these 2 before delivery. I have done about 350 miles in total.

I am new to the 4x4 vehicle.
The title of the thread is my question please give answer based on your opinion and experience. Many thanks.

Last edited by paxman on 27th Apr 2015 5:57 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #261879 27th Apr 2015 8:55 am
thechopper79

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Indus Silver

Hi I don't know the answer to your question but for me I would always try and have matching tyres and good ones at that.

It always seems to make man sense to me that if I have spent x many thousands on a car then one area that shouldn't be scrimped on are what actually touches the ground otherwise your never really maximising the cars potential.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along soon .......... Thumbs Up Current 2008 Freel2 HSE
Prev 2010 Freel2 GS & 57 Disco3 HSE

Post #261880 27th Apr 2015 9:11 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

As far as Im aware having different manufactures tyres between front and rear axles makes no difference to the handling etc and causes no damage to the drivetrain (other more mechanically minded on here may know different)

I believe though with 4x4 it is always better to try and change all 4 tyres at the same time (or at the very least in consecutive months if funds are tight)

The Landsail tyres may well wear at a faster rate on the front (being more budget oriented tyres and fitted to the mostly front drive axle),

I would leave the tyres as they are unless they cause problems, and look to changing all 4 together at a later date depending on tread depth.

Post #261883 27th Apr 2015 9:29 am
paxman

Thank you both for your input.
I am talking both to the Land Rover customer service and the service manager at the dealer about the situation and they are investigating before replying later.

The Freelander 2 manual, page 176, states that:

- Always fit replacement tyres of the
same type, and wherever possible, of
the same make and tread pattern
----
Ideally, tyres should be replaced in sets of four.
If this is not possible, replace the tyres in pairs
(both front or both rear). When tyres are
replaced, the wheels should always be
re-balanced and alignment checked.

Post #261884 27th Apr 2015 9:42 am
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Paxman.
I've been a Technical advisor for a pretty notable French Tyre company and the general rule is as follows.
Under normal circumstances its acceptable to fit different brand/pattern on a vehcile as long as they are on the same axle. It's also advisable to fit the tyre patern which are newest on the rear axles for safety.
In the case of the Freelander being a AWD design this above is not advisable!
There can be up to 10% difference in rolling circumference between brands of types of the same size, ie 235/55 R19 Michelin could be 10% larger against a 235/55/ R19 Bridgestone for example.
This will cause a differencial between front and rear axles.
I would only fit same Brand tyres to both front and rear axles. MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #261895 27th Apr 2015 10:36 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

StuartC - personally I would agree 100% with what you say, better to be safe than sorry even though manufacturers claim that their AWD models are able to cope with differences in tread depth/pattern
(over here Vauxhall (Holden) used to make a model called the Calibra, and produced it in AWD. However the AWD system couldnt cope with tyre differences greater than 1mm or something stupid like that. Blown diffs everywhere)

However if this is the case. how come Land Rover (to keep it relevant) sell used cars under their approved scheme with mismatched tyres ? I would have thought that if a new owner of a LR Approved vehicle experienced any faults as a result of mismatched tyres then LR would have to foot the bill to sort it ?

Are LR dealers just so tight on budget that they play the law of averages, fit 2 budget tyres and hope there are no issues within warranty, rather than replace all 4 at point of sale and send the customer away happy ??

Post #261897 27th Apr 2015 10:46 am
Stuartc

Haha RobB, you answered your own question! Very Happy
Dealers are all about profit margins and targets, they don't care about the tyre other than it being the cheapest! As a general rule.
Personally id get any mismatch tyres off my Freelander quick smart. Even more so if you unadvisably run any other program on your Terrain Response other than General Program on surfaces which do not require a "Special Program"!!
"Differential stresses" will find the weakest link in the chain and that doesn't mean there is an engineering deficiency just that something has to give.
I draw your attention to the warnings in the MY15 "Quick Start Guide" and "Owners Manual" on this topic!

MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #261903 27th Apr 2015 11:28 am
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

On a FL1 which was a different set up if the tyres were replaced as axel sets new tyres should always be placed on the rears. Ive not came across anything regarding this for a FL2. Aynone got the answer Whistle MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #261909 27th Apr 2015 12:15 pm
Stuartc

New tyres should always be fitted to the rear axle first as a safety measure as there is less chance of control being lost in wet conditions. Understeer is always a safer condition for the inexperienced driver! With modern technology aids though this is reduced!
FL2 is no different to this advice. MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #261913 27th Apr 2015 12:35 pm
scrimple

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Ipanema Sand

I have been running with General Gt75s on the front and Wranglers on the rear (originals) for over a year now. I have just swapped the wranglers for 2 new Pirelli Verde on the rear which has now given me a slight vibration every 1/2 mile or so due to the diameter difference between front and rear which can be cured by a software update but I have not got around to it yet, but other than that vibration, it runs sweet as a nut.  MY2014 SD4 XS
Ipanema Sand

MY10 TD4-e GS Manual
Lago Grey Now retired after 8 trouble free years

Post #261931 27th Apr 2015 5:26 pm
paxman

Thank you all for your input, particular about the different dimensions of the same tyre size from different tyre manufacturers as StuartC stated . A different of 10% in 18" equates 1.8" and yet I read else where saying a different of 2/32" in tread depth has killed some cars center diff.

Let just say that the overal dimensions between Pirelli and Landsail tyres are identical but the 2 front new tyres tread depth are about 7-8 mm, the rear two are 4 mm average, that means in this case there is a difference of 6-7 mm in diameters? That is certainly much more than 2/32" mentioned above. I have also read somewhere saying the difference in tread pattern of different tyres also put enormous strain on the vehicle diff. Even though the tyre physical dimensions are similar.

Over 30 years of driving I have always paid attention to vehicle tyres because for me they are one of the most critical part of the vehicle. As I have always driven 2 wheels drive I didn't know in 4x4, tyres replacement are much more critical.

As said earlier, I talked to LR customer service and infomed Lloyd Carlisle of my conversation with LR. To be fair to Lloyd Carlisle they agreed to change the front 2 tyres with 2 new Pirelli scorpion zero M+S, same with the back and I agreed to pay to replace the back two with the same tyres, so it is all ended well and my thanks again to those giving their advice above.

Last edited by paxman on 27th Apr 2015 10:12 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #261933 27th Apr 2015 5:34 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Glad it was sorted and it's nice to get a good result from a dealer. As a matter of principle, I would want to think about changing tyres that are around 4mm anyway, as the tread efficiency drops substantially below this. LR dealers will not sell a car with less than 4mm, which is no doubt why they changed the two fronts on yours. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #261987 27th Apr 2015 8:30 pm
wjohnm

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Sumatra Black

While all is OK on this now I wonder about what tread difference will cause problems.
What actual running radius is a tyre in solo compared to 5 up. Or loaded and towing?
How many of us check tyre pressures to compensate? I guess only when going on holiday? But then running around when there?
Maybe we should all get automatic inflation!
However agree use same make and tread. FL2 11 S Black 😂
Gone Disco2 TD5 GS

Post #262007 27th Apr 2015 9:50 pm
paxman

Yes the front two were about 3 mm and according to the service manager, with the LR approved vehicle these two need to be changed. But the changing of the budget tyres, instead of the same make-model of the old tyres, is according to the "new program" and my car caught up on it. I think it was quite lame excuse but didn't pursue since he offered to replace. They also discount 10% for the back 2 tyres @ £126/tyre so that is ok as well.

@wjohnm: while reading up about the subject, this webpage talks about the different tread pattern which causes diff failure.
http://www.weareaccurateautomotive.com/blo...cle-Beware

Whether it's true or not in future I will play safe to change all four of the same tyres to the fl2.

Post #262009 27th Apr 2015 10:35 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Don't forget the spare, if you have one. I actually have six wheels with Scorpions, so every now and then I swap them around. That way I get more even wear and the tyres last longer. Eventually the best two will be kept as spares and the worst four will get changed for a new set. Last month I acquired one new tyre, so that went on the back with the best of the others. Next time I change them around, that one will stay on to even up the wear.
Sounds like a lot of work I suppose, but I change the wheels twice a year anyway when I put on/take off the Wintracs!
- Which means the tyres last twice as long, so I may even change the car before they wear out. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #262011 27th Apr 2015 10:53 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>