« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > 15-20 bhp power gain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
commando

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
15-20 bhp power gain

Anyone fitted on of those quick fit power chips advertised on ebay for between £4.95 and £9.95 to a td4 2.2? Stornaway grey SE auto with 18" alloys

Post #14939 29th Feb 2008 11:01 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

dont do it all they do is over fuel the engine, causing damage

Post #14940 29th Feb 2008 11:05 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i heard they are a waste of time & money Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #14951 29th Feb 2008 1:16 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Remark from a lawyer: besides waste of money as npinks has put ít rightly, you loose your LR-gurantee.
So think it over very carefully.

YF

Post #14952 29th Feb 2008 1:28 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

yamaha-fan wrote:
Remark from a lawyer: besides waste of money as npinks has put ít rightly, you loose your LR-gurantee.
So think it over very carefully.

YF

If something associated to that modification should fail then it will not be covered, not the whole vehicle....

Not worth the money and whilst you might see an initial gain in performance simple devices offer you don't want to think about the mid to long term harm that is done.

Add-on boxes such as tune-it do a more advanced method of tricking the ECU, compared to the five quid resistor, but still it is tricking and because it is not an integral part of the ECU it also has long term drawbacks.

Chips are good these days, but expect trouble when it comes to engine or transmission related issues when taking it to the dealer.

Manufacturers previously built in large safety limits for engines, but cost reducing etc. from the manufacturers may mean that in some cases the limits aren't worth pushing. I had an extra 50 bhp running on my A3 turbo without any issues for 5 years, but the car was out of warranty and it was globally proven that long term the engine could handle it and significantly more!

Post #14955 29th Feb 2008 1:41 pm
snairda

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

If you want some more lively driving then try putting your terrain response into sand mode. Certaintly makes the car feel more repsonsive, although I know there is no more power than normal.

Post #14960 29th Feb 2008 2:10 pm
Nebs

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

The Dealer I got mine from pointed out that if you put the terrain selector onto Sand, you get a performance improvement as the engine management system is trying to keep the wheels spinning.

Try it, I was suprised at the increase.

Nebs -----------------------------

Nebs

IT Security Geek

Post #16357 23rd Mar 2008 11:47 am
tonyjones1968

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Narvik Black

Check out the SUPERCHIPS site for a BLUEFIN unit as i know they work and you can put the standard map back in at any time,not cheep though!!!
Thumbs Up Tony.

Post #16359 23rd Mar 2008 12:37 pm
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Actually, chipping can make a significant difference - certainly on Turbo Petrol engines. I once chipped my Audi TT from 225bhp to 270bhp - done by AMD in Bicester. Audi have a silent acceptance towards AMD specifically. The increase in bhp and torque was immense and well worth it. No issue at service times and no issue when I traded the car in - and I made sure everyone knew the chip was there.

I like the idea of interchangeble chips from the OEM one so that you can swap them out at will.

Most manufacturers WILL fix your car, but only if the issue is not to do with the chip causing the problem in the first place - things like blowing the engine would not be covered Rolling Eyes Chris

Post #16362 23rd Mar 2008 1:13 pm
pmcg

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

You could also try http://dieseltuner.co.uk/landrover.html - I hear they also have a good reputation.

Post #16363 23rd Mar 2008 1:39 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Take a read over on the Disco3 forums and RRS forums...................... there are pages and pages of postings about "chipping" or remapping TDv6 engines and the problems folks have had, and more importantly LR's view regarding warranty. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #16364 23rd Mar 2008 4:34 pm
Gambba

ttc546 wrote:
Actually, chipping can make a significant difference - certainly on Turbo Petrol engines. I once chipped my Audi TT from 225bhp to 270bhp - done by AMD in Bicester. Audi have a silent acceptance towards AMD specifically. The increase in bhp and torque was immense and well worth it. No issue at service times and no issue when I traded the car in - and I made sure everyone knew the chip was there.

I like the idea of interchangeble chips from the OEM one so that you can swap them out at will.

Most manufacturers WILL fix your car, but only if the issue is not to do with the chip causing the problem in the first place - things like blowing the engine would not be covered Rolling Eyes

The gains are even better on diesel engines as the torque increase is huge!!!! The 1.8T VAG engine is bulletproof and I had friends running 300-350 bhp with only turbo, map and injector changes basically. I have an Oettinger chip on my A3T back in Holland.
Audi UK accepted that AMD were there, but Audi themselves did not support them and went with ABT as their dealer option in mainland Europe.

The caution needs to be taken here though as the PSA engine has not been out for that long and in terms of tuning there is little (or no) word as to the long term realiability unlike the 1.8T.

Post #16381 24th Mar 2008 7:12 am
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

pmcg wrote:
You could also try http://dieseltuner.co.uk/landrover.html - I hear they also have a good reputation.

I see that fitting is quite easy.
If you take out the chip before scheduled service will the service be able to tell that you had a chip fitted? After removal do you have to do something else so that the service does not notice that you had a chip fitted for some time?
Yhanks FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #16388 24th Mar 2008 9:55 am
Gambba

Matei wrote:
pmcg wrote:

If you take out the chip before scheduled service will the service be able to tell that you had a chip fitted? After removal do you have to do something else so that the service does not notice that you had a chip fitted for some time?
Yhanks

I would say that if it is very easy to fit then the TD4 option is simply a box that you plug in between some connectors to give an instant performace boost, and if that is the case then removal will be easy and LR would never be able to tell that you had it fitted.

Even if it was a chip that was replaced inside the engine ECU it would be impossible for a dealer to be able to see it with the standard scan tools, and it is unlikely (edit...it said likely!) that they would even notice that it had been tuned when driving.....as mechanics swap between vehicles so frequently they wouldn't see a difference unless taking it out on the road for a good blast.

Dealers are independent to Land Rover and as such have a much lower level of expertise meaning that they cannot see everything simply by plugging a computer in even though they'd like us to believe that.

Last edited by Gambba on 24th Mar 2008 6:29 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #16390 24th Mar 2008 11:05 am
Matei

Romania 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Gambba wrote:
Matei wrote:
pmcg wrote:

Yhanks

I would say that if it is very easy to fit then the TD4 option is simply a box that you plug in between some connectors to give an instant performace boost, and if that is the case then removal will be easy and LR would never be able to tell that you had it fitted.

Even if it was a chip taht was replaced inside the engine ECU it would be impossible for a dealer to be able to see it with the standard scan tools, and it is likely that they would even notice that it had been tuned when driving.....as mechanics swap between vehicles so frequently they wouldn't see a difference unless taking it out on the road for a good blast.

Dealers are independent to Land Rover and as such have a much lower level of expertise meaning that they cannot see everything simply by plugging a computer in even though they'd like us to believe that.

Thanks. I'll think it over and I might give it a try.
Will let you know if it works. FREELANDER 2 TD4 SE (XS UK) IZMIR BLUE SIDE STEPS COLD PACK BI-XENON TINTED WINDOWS - AND PROUD OF HER

Post #16395 24th Mar 2008 1:17 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>