Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Freelander 2 -the best bits!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey
Freelander 2 -the best bits!

Like a few people on here I had mixed feelings about the demise of the FL2 which was only softened by the promise of it's replacement being even better. Now I've seen one in the flesh, it is clear the Discovery Sport isn't a replacement but something altogether different and aimed at a market which I don't truthfully belong. For me this is good news-I had intended on buying one in 12 months time but now I think I'll keep the trusty FL2. Having had a year without one, these are the three things I missed most and ultimately led me to buy another;

Command Driving Position
The FL2 is simply the best you can buy in the compact SUV market for driving position. Visibility is excellent and it somehow feels more comfortable being those few inches higher than a normal car.

Torque Sweet Spot
The TD4, although not the most refined, delivers power just where you need it; 2-3000rpm, perfect for overtaking and has surprised a few fellow drivers when accelerating uphill. The SD4 is even better!

Versatility and value for money
With the exception of it's more expensive brethren, the FL2 offers the best compromise between on-road manners and offroad ability you can buy. With our roads fast starting to resemble the surface of the moon, on-roading is becoming a challenge for normal cars. The one thing I missed most though was that feeling when you throw back the curtains and see a foot of snow and think....brilliant I've got to drive to work today!!

For those of you thinking about buying one do it-you will not regret the decision. For those moving to pastures new, enjoy it while you have the chance. I am pretty certain you will miss yours when it has gone.

Post #253089 14th Feb 2015 11:37 am
FL2Voodoo

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Seconded on all points.

I have had allot of luxery Saloons and a fair few sportier cars and I was very dubious when I bought the FL2 and questioned my descision for a week before selling the XF and getting the one I have now.

I Love the car I love its driving position versatility and it can go any were on little adventures looks good clean or with 3 months worth of dirt on it as mine has at the moment, I look forward to driving it daily.
I often think about what I would replace it with eventually, not seen the sport in the flesh but I will Tomorrow as shes going in to Hunters with a suspect wheel bearing or Diff noise ( under warranty hopefully ) I like the Disco allot but its big and silly money for a low miler, might concider and older FFRR, but in realty I would happily get another FL2 when I come to change if there are any good ones about, Maybe the defender replacement may be a good replacement for the FL2.

one thing I like also is it still looks like a 4x4 and not a pumped up car or softroader. As others have said Land rover have left a hole and if they dont fill it tey could lose customers or another manufacturer will see a gap to fill like Jeep for example. HSE TD4 Stornoway Grey ★ Rear Spoiler ★ Black Leather Interior ★ Panoramic Roof ★ Navigation with Bluetooth ★ 19 " Alloys ★ Alpine Stereo 10 Disc Auto changer and Ipod connection and lots of other nice toys ★

Post #253212 15th Feb 2015 11:10 am
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Labradorslave.Quote: "you will miss it when it's gone"
How very true.
I spat the dummy after very bad repair experience at dealers when they damaged diff and propshaft during simple repair.
Bought a RAV 4, solid car but so old tech and noisy. Traded it to update Merc.
Tried with just 1 vehicle, our Merc 200cdi,
Suffered for about a year and bought an ex demo SD.
All other points you raised were spot on the mark. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #253228 15th Feb 2015 1:10 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

The command driving postion with the seats slammed down is excellent! Jump into a D2,D4,RRS and then jump back into a FL2 and your dont really feel short changed command view wise. Yes it's not as good but it's excellent for LR's most affordable vehicle. None of the FL2's competitors have a better command view Wink oh and it's four wheel drive capabilties it will be sadly missed Thumbs Up

People said it felt dated but I don't think it did once the LED lights were added to her! MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #253229 15th Feb 2015 1:14 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

LR NUT wrote:
People said it felt dated but I don't think it did once the LED lights were added to her!

All the bread boxes out there today look dated before production has spat the first one off the production line. I have never seen so many cars that have had such a thorough thrashing with the ugly stick! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Last edited by Lightwater on 15th Feb 2015 10:11 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #253234 15th Feb 2015 2:08 pm
Warkman

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

What nonsense, the Discovery sport us as able as the Freelander off road and much better in road.
Tine to stop living in the past. discovery Sport HSE Luxury Sport, 190bhp auto in kaikoura Stone and Ivory Windsor heated and cooled leather seats for delivery mid march

Post #253302 15th Feb 2015 9:17 pm
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Not sure I am living in the past-they were still building them a few months ago! I'm sure the Discovery Sport is great to drive and will be a success. It is just not for me. Neither was the Evoque but look how well they have sold. I hope you will provide some balanced feedback when you take delivery of yours.

Post #253333 15th Feb 2015 11:23 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I wouldn't agree with your second point about the power, it's fine for overtaking but a nightmare when pulling away such as onto a roundabout, hit the pedal and its a slow getaway before it finally gets going, the SD4 version I had was equally as bad as the TD4. I think alot of owners had similar issues as I remember a thread about it some time ago.

Post #253395 16th Feb 2015 3:10 pm
DAC364

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

I popped into my local LR dealership yesterday to stand next to the DS for the first time and spoke with the salesman who sold me my FL2. He'd recently been on an update course on the new model and seeing it, and listening to him, confirmed the DS is not a FL2 replacement, but a pathway into a different market.

He described there being 'a lot of love' for the FL2 within LR and he got the impression that the car will be replaced by another vehicle that ticks all the boxes of being a true utility vehicle with all the essence of the bigger models contained in a package that is aimed between Defender and Discovery. Maybe it means the Defender replacement will combine much of what the FL2 has become - a machine wrapped in the body of a family car.

I hope he's right, because he felt the FL2 has been a huge success and it has done more than it's bit to keep the LR marque riding high. LR are sad to see it go, because its a remarkable vehicle. Td4 XS manual, Orkney Grey, MY2014

Post #253409 16th Feb 2015 4:42 pm
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Interesting!

Interesting perspective DAC364.

I hope that's true too, however the flaw is surely why would LR discontinue a much loved vehicle (FL2) now, if there is no actual replacement vehicle in sight and little prospect of one for years?! Rolling Eyes Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #253504 17th Feb 2015 2:10 am
j77

Scotland 

I got shot down in flames, for claiming the DS wasn't a replacement for the Fl2 in the other thread. It never has been and never will be a replacement for the Fl2, ask any LR marketing person or whatever you want to call them. The DS just fills a gap left by an axed model. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #253508 17th Feb 2015 7:48 am
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

You confused me there J77 . I know it's easily done Mr. Green .. But you said the DS fills a gap left by a previous model , isn't that the same as a replacement ? Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Post #253512 17th Feb 2015 8:40 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Purplemadboy wrote:
isn't that the same as a replacement ?

It isn't.

For example if they were pieces of fruit and you had Passionfruit and replaced it with Kiwifruit. Although they are about the same size. One is hard on the outside & sharp internally. The other is bristly outside & tangy inside.

So they are completely different pieces of fruit. Personally I prefer the Passionfruit, but I may go for Kiwifruit if there are no other alternatives.

Luckily neither of them is a Pear! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #253515 17th Feb 2015 9:41 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

Can you explain that again using nuts?

Post #253521 17th Feb 2015 10:15 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

The fruit analagy really doesn't work, because the fruit is what's inside the package, and look inside the DS package and what you find is a Freelander. It has the same Ford-based platform (with a few minor tweaks), the same engine, the same Haldex drivetrain, it's as near as makes no difference the same size - under the skin it is a Freelander. The difference is in the packaging - the Freelanders good, honest plaid shirt and dungarees have been replaced with a slightly tacky shiny and impractical suit in order to appeal to the city crowd, and because that makes it a fashion item the prices have been hiked £10K 'cos that's the price of fashion. It's the same fruit, but in a new box and marketed to a different type of customer at a different price.

I know those who have ordered one like to think they're buying something more than a Freelander, but you can't argue with the facts - same platform, engine, drivetrain and size = it's a Freelander in a shiny suit!

Post #253524 17th Feb 2015 10:40 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>