Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Freelander 2 -the best bits!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Dartman the one

England 

Not really, a squashed fruit may be, longer, lower so not as practical, the DS has a very low hatch entrance except in the centre, therefore it is no different to a modern hatchback on stilts. JLR is chasing the urban customer, if it wasn't why produce a 2wd version. It is not a replacement for a Freelander, at the moment it is being sold as instead of because it's about the same size, but we've removed some of the practical bits and put in other bits we think will come in handy, it has always been LR policy to increase the price of the next car of the family even if it doesn't do the same job. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #253542 17th Feb 2015 12:39 pm
j77

Scotland 

pab wrote:
The fruit analagy really doesn't work, because the fruit is what's inside the package, and look inside the DS package and what you find is a Freelander. It has the same Ford-based platform (with a few minor tweaks), the same engine, the same Haldex drivetrain, it's as near as makes no difference the same size - under the skin it is a Freelander. The difference is in the packaging - the Freelanders good, honest plaid shirt and dungarees have been replaced with a slightly tacky shiny and impractical suit in order to appeal to the city crowd, and because that makes it a fashion item the prices have been hiked £10K 'cos that's the price of fashion. It's the same fruit, but in a new box and marketed to a different type of customer at a different price.

I know those who have ordered one like to think they're buying something more than a Freelander, but you can't argue with the facts - same platform, engine, drivetrain and size = it's a Freelander in a shiny suit!

I don't think I've bought anything other than what it is. Names mean nothing to me.

Many people commenting on price but the Fl2 jamp from about £22k to £27k overnight. I've had 3 Fl2s so know how good they are but I can't get one to how I want it. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #253576 17th Feb 2015 5:39 pm
tonyc

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
My fear

As they have taken the opportunity to raise the bar by £10k for an FL2 in a shiny suit what will the increase be for the new engine! And in a more popular 5 seat layout. Tony

Post #253606 17th Feb 2015 7:30 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Third row is a circa £1K option in most markets, so expect the 5-seater to be around 1K cheaper than the equivalent 7-seater. As for ingenium, that will appear first on the 2wd version which is expected to come in at 30K-ish, maybe a little under.

Post #253616 17th Feb 2015 8:05 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Why the hell are we talking about a Discovery Sport on a thread titled "Freelander 2 - The best bits!"

I'm sick to death hearing about the DS!!!

No offence to those who have one on order but come on.....

Thud Thud Thud MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #253618 17th Feb 2015 8:12 pm
Natwest

United Kingdom 

The best bit about FL2 is that it was replaced by DS Whistle

Sorry LRNUT,couldn't resist.

Not really a specific feature, my best bit about FL2 is how it silenced all the critics at launch and was a real "chalk and cheese" compared with FL1. Now:
17MY Discovery D5 2.0 HSE (Carpathian):

Gone::
(04/17): 16.5MY Discovery Sport HSE (Waitomo)
(08/16): 16MY Discovery Sport HSE Lux Auto (Corris Grey + Black pack)
(11/15): 15MY Freelander 2 Metropolis SD4 (Loire blue)

Post #253630 17th Feb 2015 8:31 pm
LR WILD

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Fuji White

There is nothing I dislike about the freely ( 4th one now). It is a fantastic motor and dug land rover out of hole when it was introduced imo.

Post #253632 17th Feb 2015 8:44 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Best bits are:

Command driving position.
4500mm, shortest of all the cars other than Tiguan in this category. In Sydney every mm is critical.
Best of all the cars with safe visibility out the back.
Boot is great height, I don't have to bend over, a real issue for older people.
Separate driver & passenger arm rests.
Central AC vents in high position.
Plastic door mould to help save doors in shopping centres.
Large mirrors are great.
Really nice steering wheel.
177 kW engine with good power at low rpm.

Hopefully this in retained:
Plastic strip and substantial plastic moulding on the bottom of door to save scraping on footpath and hitting tall gutters. Australia's high gutter / footpath issue.

I do not want or need 7 seats.
Don't want a biscuit spare wheel. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #253649 17th Feb 2015 10:06 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Popped into the new Colliers, Erdington dealership this week - very posh. Had a look at a DS. The 3rd row is not really able to accommodate adults - my head was on the roof and getting in and out was a really awkward. I dont see how you can access the 3rd row from the tail gate either.

Anyway, Ive made my decision Im going to get a high end FL2 rather than a low end DS for the wife - will be her 6th and I'll put the saving into my Cayman S fund

One of the best bits about the FL2 is the set-back door sills which means your legs dont get covered in muck when you get in & out - especially useful to the better half who is only 5'2" Jules

Post #253662 18th Feb 2015 12:14 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12